Aussie H

3 months post revision - My progress report

So today marks my three month surgiversary and because we hear little about real people's progress (and lots about NOT expecting fast or ongoing weightloss) I decided to give those who want a real experience my progress report. I had a laproscopic revision from a 31 year old Gastroplasty to an RNY Gastric Bypass. At the time of my surgery my BMI was borderline between Overweight and Obese. I had seriously dieted the 7 months prior to surgery knowing that would make the surgery easier on both my body and the surgeon's job on the day. In all I lost approximately 27.5kg (60lbs) in that 7 months. I had two surgeons and the surgery took nearly 4 hours to complete. This included both the bypass surgery and a gastrectomy which was necessary to remove my old dehisced staple line and the tissue between the new staple lines. There were two lines, one to form the new pouch, the other below where my older staple line was. They also removed a large portion of the omentum which had been shredded by adhesions from both the previous WLS and a more recent open hysterectomy. They did repair what they could, but a lot was simply too far gone to he repairable.

Currently my BMI sits at 25.5 having lost approx 14kg (31lbs) since surgery. I am at my lowest weight since childhood, a weight I never believed I'd ever be able to achieve again. My three monthly blood tests were, to quote the surgeon, "perfect". I was cleared to eat anything I wanted to try from my post surgery checkup, 13 days after the surgery.  I do eat pretty much whatever I want, although I steer well clear of sugars because I have dumped on the smallest bite of cake. Daily I average around 100g of carbs, and approximately 1100 calories, this I'm told by my dietician this is still to low in my case, but I'm not listening to that yet. My surgeon tells me I should continue losing for another 9 months or so, which he does say is a problem and will need to be watched closely. I feel absolutely fine. I do get an occasional painful twinge which I believe is caused by trapped air in my intestine, and my largest incision (just above the naval) can itch occasionally which is annoying but not a major issue by any stretch.

All in all I'm totally surprised by my progress to date. I'll be honest and say I don't exercise. The only activity I get is  "incidental" to running a household, so cleaning, gardening and chopping wood etc. Due to a crippling arthritic midfoot, even walking is off the agenda for now. I am only on my foot for as long as I can bear the unrelenting pain it causes me. I am due to have a fusion surgery on the offending foot later this month. Once the cast comes off 3 months later, and weight-bearing is allowed, I'm hoping that I'll find the enthusiam for exercise.....that might still be a longshot though.

I guess what I'm saying here is that revisions aren't all doom and gloom. At 3 months out I'm just 3 lbs shy of hitting the upper end of a "Normal" BMI, having lost almost all my statistically "excess body weight". So please don't be put off by the naysayers regarding progress after revisional surgeries. I'm living proof that anything is possible if you make the necessary lifestyle changes, even if it is your second time around.

Aussie, it sounds like you're doing really well! Take care of your foot - I hope the three months of staying off it aren't too terrible. 

4 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Aussie, it sounds like you're doing really well! Take care of your foot - I hope the three months of staying off it aren't too terrible. 

Thanks Jen. This time two years ago I was in a cast non weight-bearing so know the issues pretty well. That was their first attempt at "conservative treatment" and did absolutely nothing, as did everything they tried for the next two years. I've since seen three orthos and settled on self pay surgery with the one that appears to know what he's talking about, along with having a track record for this particular surgery. Never let anyone try to convince you that Australia has a great publicly funded health care system, because surgeons only do what they want to when they want to. It's going to be tough given I live alone and well away from any family, but the upside to having had WLS beforehand is that everytime I've cooked a meal it's made at least 6 portions, all of these have been frozen (in jumbled order) so I'll have plenty of variety in pre-portioned meals that'll be an easy reheat. My sister is staying here at the moment and after peaking in my freezer reckons I could start a meal service for the elderly....haha!

Edited by Aussie H
auto correct

@Aussie H Good story; thanks for sharing your situation. I always read your posts.

Thank you for the update. Your story, weight loss success, and thoughtful posts are an inspiration to us all. 

That's an excellent 3 month update Aussie but I'm sorry to hear that you've got another surgery in your future - I had to look up midfoot arthritis - that sounds horrible but losing the weight that you have can only make the process easier on you.

11 hours ago, cinwa said:

That's an excellent 3 month update Aussie but I'm sorry to hear that you've got another surgery in your future - I had to look up midfoot arthritis - that sounds horrible but losing the weight that you have can only make the process easier on you.

Thanks @cinwa.  Losing weight was a pre-requisite for the surgery. I had to get my BMI below 30 before any ortho would touch it, or even refer me to an ortho within the public hospital system. The pain really was the ultimate motivator for my pre-WLS weightloss. This time I am actually really concerned about the surgery, very unlike when I so calmly went in for my revisional surgery. Perhaps because it's definitely a last resort thing in that if it doesn't work I'll be stuck with the problem for the rest of my life. I'm hoping that having had it I'll be more able to accept the situation, should the outcome be not as hoped, and just get on with life as it is, instead of contemplating the unknown for the next five years......five years is the standard wait time for this surgery in our publicly funded hospitals...and that's only IF a surgeon decides they want to do it. If you want to give google another run, I'm having a Navicular-cuniform fusion with a Calcaneal bone graft.

Thanks also to @Carina and @Res Ipsa for your kind words.

Plus an update just 24 hours later..... Just 1lb to go now to that healthy BMI. I must have had a really good sleep last night after my snoring visitor finally went back to their own home. :) My dietician will be spewing when I see her in 2 weeks, but I'm ecstatic!!!!

Edited by Aussie H

Very inspiring story! thanks for telling it.