Smashlee83

Schwinning!

So apparently, I like bike riding! Who knew? Not me!

I have been blessed with a work out buddy since the surgery. My childhood best friend like 3 miles from me and is on a fitness kick so we've been exploring all modes of exercise. Gym, Jogging, Kayaking and now Biking. We started off riding in my neighborhood a few miles at a time. It was ok. Seems like a good work out. Then we went to some bike trails. Woah why haven't I been doing this my whole life? Why is this so fun? Why do I now think I can ride the MS150.

Seriously, we're talking about training for the 150. I currently have a 15 yr old Schwinn mountain bike. I'm hoping this isn't just a phase and that I'm going to spend tons of money on real bike gear and then get bored with it. Anyone ride?

I love this! I don't ride, but I love everything about this! @BurgundyBoy will likely chime in soon.

That's awesome, @Smashlee83!! I'm so glad you found something you love, and a workout buddy to boot!:D

I haven't ridden in a while. I got hit by a car and I have been spooked. Don't take that as a negative comment on your riding. Boston is notorious for terrible  car-bike traffic. 

My biggest piece of advice is to get shorts that pad your crotch area. My crotch always hurt after a long bike ride. 

9 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

I haven't ridden in a while. I got hit by a car and I have been spooked. Don't take that as a negative comment on your riding. Boston is notorious for terrible  car-bike traffic. 

My biggest piece of advice is to get shorts that pad your crotch area. My crotch always hurt after a long bike ride. 

The "like" I gave you was not for the car accident :o It was for the padded bike shorts!! I go numb in that area when I ride a bike, and it's not fun...not that I've been on a bike in 20 years, but you don't forget that feeling!! 

I did 10 miles yesterday and was really wishing I had those padded shorts @NerdyLady

I have an adorable little cruiser bike. Totally not suitable for anything other than roads and asphalted trails, but I do enjoy getting it out. We haven't been riding this summer because of my stupid booted foot - its a bit uncomfortable because my belly flab is just not conducive to comfortably riding right now, but I super look forward to following in your steps as the weight comes off! 

I also second the padded shorts. I have a pair from Aerotech because they do plus sizes, and they are a lifesaver! Crazy you're up to 10 miles already, get it girl!

8 minutes ago, delilas said:

I have an adorable little cruiser bike. Totally not suitable for anything other than roads and asphalted trails, but I do enjoy getting it out. We haven't been riding this summer because of my stupid booted foot - its a bit uncomfortable because my belly flab is just not conducive to comfortably riding right now, but I super look forward to following in your steps as the weight comes off! 

I also second the padded shorts. I have a pair from Aerotech because they do plus sizes, and they are a lifesaver! Crazy you're up to 10 miles already, get it girl!

Thank you! I have never really ridden before. The bike I own, I bought in my early 20's and it's seriously just sat there for the last decade. I begged and begged my friend to get a bike so we could try it out. We went from 3 miles, to 7 and now 10! I mean, we almost died yesterday. But it was worth it.

I think we're getting close to investing in real bikes, helmets and padded seats.

Hi @Smashlee83 dropping in from vacation - thanks @Gretta for tag to alert me to thread. 

So happy you are enjoying cycling! I love it. Do get an helmet - I have had two bad accidents in last 35 years, once hit by a car and once my bike had a shifting failure, helmet kept me from having Bad Things happens. $100 helmet is better than $100,000 surgery or rehabilitation. Surgeons say people who don't wear helmets are actually called "transplant donors." (A bit of grim humor, but ....). Not all bad things happen because of cars. I think cycling can be very safe but there is no reason not to have an helmet, it is like wearing your seat belt in a car. 

Good seat, padded gloves and crotch pants will keep you from hurting in places that might dissuade you from riding again soon, so those are key investments. One of the great things about WLS and biking is you get to go a lot faster as you lose weight and you don't even have to invest in a fancy low weight bike to see that happen! You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a perfectly good bike these days.

Unless you are really doing off-road dirt biking (which it sounds like you might be doing!) I find they are too heavy for my daily cycling, so a road bike or "gravel" bike is a better match for me. My current bike is a gravel bike with 700 x 32 wheels on it so I can ride forest bike trails without needing a dirt bike. It can take narrower tires too for fast road riding. If you are going to look at new bikes, would just mention the position you have to ride in with a rigid horizontal handlebar can be tiring compared to the many ways you can hold a road handlebar with curves. By this I mean there is only one way to ride on a horizontal handlebar bike and there are a zillion ways to change your position on a curved road handlebar to avoid fatigue. Oh, I could babble, am on a village library computer and internet speed is slow... this is one of the best things about WLS for me. 

@delilas sorry your foot issue is holding up riding. 

17 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Hi @Smashlee83 dropping in from vacation - thanks @Gretta for tag to alert me to thread. 

So happy you are enjoying cycling! I love it. Do get an helmet - I have had two bad accidents in last 35 years, once hit by a car and once my bike had a shifting failure, helmet kept me from having Bad Things happens. $100 helmet is better than $100,000 surgery or rehabilitation. Surgeons say people who don't wear helmets are actually called "transplant donors." (A bit of grim humor, but ....). Not all bad things happen because of cars. I think cycling can be very safe but there is no reason not to have an helmet, it is like wearing your seat belt in a car. 

Good seat, padded gloves and crotch pants will keep you from hurting in places that might dissuade you from riding again soon, so those are key investments. One of the great things about WLS and biking is you get to go a lot faster as you lose weight and you don't even have to invest in a fancy low weight bike to see that happen! You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a perfectly good bike these days.

Unless you are really doing off-road dirt biking (which it sounds like you might be doing!) I find they are too heavy for my daily cycling, so a road bike or "gravel" bike is a better match for me. My current bike is a gravel bike with 700 x 32 wheels on it so I can ride forest bike trails without needing a dirt bike. It can take narrower tires too for fast road riding. If you are going to look at new bikes, would just mention the position you have to ride in with a rigid horizontal handlebar can be tiring compared to the many ways you can hold a road handlebar with curves. By this I mean there is only one way to ride on a horizontal handlebar bike and there are a zillion ways to change your position on a curved road handlebar to avoid fatigue. Oh, I could babble, am on a village library computer and internet speed is slow... this is one of the best things about WLS for me. 

@delilas sorry your foot issue is holding up riding. 

I got the helmet yesterday! I'm holding out till the end of the month for the new bike. My birthday is coming up and I've asked for money and gift cards haha.

Oh that's awesome!

I love biking too but sadly live in a very crowded and car-heavy city so unlike when I was a kid, I now no longer feel all that safe driving a bike around (plus its polluted as hell!).

Hey @Smashlee83 maybe you can take some nice scenic pics when you're riding and share with us sometime. :)

Cheers and happy biking!

I usually do some snaps of our rides if we take a break. This was from a few weeks ago. Feel free to add me on snap chat. Username:

smash-bola

This one is at a park in Katy that has a lot of bridges over swamp land. I'm hoping we see an alligator... from a distance.

IMG_9234.JPG

Adorable picture! Thanks for sharing!

13 hours ago, Smashlee83 said:

I usually do some snaps of our rides if we take a break. This was from a few weeks ago. Feel free to add me on snap chat. Username:

smash-bola

This one is at a park in Katy that has a lot of bridges over swamp land. I'm hoping we see an alligator... from a distance.

IMG_9234.JPG

I'll add you on Snapchat. My embarrassing name is toiletsandwich. 

13 hours ago, Smashlee83 said:

smash-bola

IMG_9234.JPG

PS: How adorable are you?