Jackie Sanchez

As a Hispanic individual what foods did you eat?

23 posts in this topic

I everyone I need help here I am a Hispanic woman with totally different eating habits I don't like eating Italian, American food, ect.. I eat straight mexican food. My concern is that I don't know what am I going to be eating for recovery like for the first month. I don't like canned food, frozen food. I cook all my food from scratch. Please help!! My surgery is in about 3 weeks I need to have a list and ideas of what I'm going to eat.

Hi Jackie -

Welcome to Thinner Times!  While I am not Hispanic, I did share your concern about the recovery diet.  I don't care for artificially sweetened foods and I wasn't sure I'd find a protein drink that would work for me.  I had to compromise a little and tell myself that I was going to be eating sugar free jello and the like for a very short time, compared to the rest of my lifetime of eating things that were more of my choosing.  I made a batch of butternut squash soup and froze it in little jars in my freezer.  It was one of my first foods that I tried after the clear liquid diet.  It did not taste good at all to me.  I bought a bunch of sugar free items and ended up using 1 cup of peaches, 2 packages of jello and a couple unsweetened applesauces.  I gave a grocery bag or two of items away to a friend.  I do think the no sugar fruit bars and fudge pops are okay, so I have those in the freezer.  You don't need that much to get through the liquid phase, depending on how long yours is, of course.  My protein drink is made up of things I would normally purchase and eat and fits easily within the parameters of my doctor's plan for me.  I hope this helps - keep researching and asking questions.  I know I've sent my nutritionist 3 or 4 just to make sure I was on the right track.

Welcome, Jackie! We have the same surgeon. :)

My advice is to stock up on chicken bone broth (It has more protein than regular broth or stock). You can add boullion and spices to it to make it taste great. I also recommend getting Fairlife milk and drinking & cooking with that. I'd also order some unflavored protein powder to add to what you cook. Keep in mind, it is best to make a room temperature paste with some liquid and protein powder before adding it to hot dishes. Just hit 60 grams of protein a day, and you're good to go.

You'll do really well when you get to the puree stage. Pureed refried beans and salsa never tasted as good as they did during that phase. You can run any number of dishes you make through the blender or food processor then too. As you know, you'll need to avoid masa, tortillas, and chips.

Isopure Whey Protein Isolate, Unflavored, 1 Pound https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SCO8AA8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_r0mFzbHH7GDEY

Stephtay and Jackie Sanchez like this

1 hour ago, Gretta said:

Welcome, Jackie! We have the same surgeon. :)

My advice is to stock up on chicken bone broth (It has more protein than regular broth or stock). You can add boullion and spices to it to make it taste great. I also recommend getting Fairlife milk and drinking & cooking with that. I'd also order some unflavored protein powder to add to what you cook. Keep in mind, it is best to make a room temperature paste with some liquid and protein powder before adding it to hot dishes. Just hit 60 grams of protein a day, and you're good to go.

You'll do really well when you get to the puree stage. Pureed refried beans and salsa never tasted as good as they did during that phase. You can run any number of dishes you make through the blender or food processor then too. As you know, you'll need to avoid masa, tortillas, and chips.

Isopure Whey Protein Isolate, Unflavored, 1 Pound https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SCO8AA8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_r0mFzbHH7GDEY

Yes to all the above from @Gretta

Gretta, Kiplill and Jackie Sanchez like this

8 hours ago, Jackie Sanchez said:

I everyone I need help here I am a Hispanic woman with totally different eating habits I don't like eating Italian, American food, ect.. I eat straight mexican food. My concern is that I don't know what am I going to be eating for recovery like for the first month. I don't like canned food, frozen food. I cook all my food from scratch. Please help!! My surgery is in about 3 weeks I need to have a list and ideas of what I'm going to eat.

Hi Jackie! Welcome to the forum. I'm a Latina from California too, and when I saw your post, I zoomed in to give you some thoughts. I had my surgery in Mexico, so I can give you some ideas that the nutritionist gave me.

First of all, no matter where you have your surgery, you are going to be drinking a lot of shakes in the beginning. No way around that. You won't have a choice and most of the shakes are chocolate, vanilla, etc. You also need to drink a lot of liquid. You could make agua de Jamaica with some Splenda  You can also drink Latino hot tea. 

My mom made me sopa de frijoles and would strain out the beans so that only the broth remained. My nutritionist approved this, as well as caldo de Rez y caldo de pollo (no meat, just the soup part). She also made caldo de pescado. Basically, caldo all the time. It was a nice break from the shakes. Once you move on to solid foods, you can purée the meat and eat it with the caldo. Just don't make it spicy. Your new tummy wont be ready for spice for a while. 

I hope that helps. I wish we could blend a taco de barbacoa into a shake but that isn't going to happen. :wub:

8 hours ago, Jackie Sanchez said:

One more thing! Do not eat the Mexican jello that comes in little cups. That stuff is loaded with sugar. If you are going to have jello, make sure it's the sugar free kind. 

Jackie Sanchez and Jen581791 like this

Thanks! I didn't even thought about that and you know I was just thinking about the gelatin cups Mexican markets usually have them for so cheap like 4  $1. Thanks so much 

Jen581791 likes this

Just now, Jackie Sanchez said:

Thanks! I didn't even thought about that and you know I was just thinking about the gelatin cups Mexican markets usually have them for so cheap like 4  $1. Thanks so much 

Yeah! Those cups have waaay too much sugar. Glad I could help.

Jackie Sanchez likes this

18 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

Hi Jackie! Welcome to the forum. I'm a Latina from California too, and when I saw your post, I zoomed in to give you some thoughts. I had my surgery in Mexico, so I can give you some ideas that the nutritionist gave me.

First of all, no matter where you have your surgery, you are going to be drinking a lot of shakes in the beginning. No way around that. You won't have a choice and most of the shakes are chocolate, vanilla, etc. You also need to drink a lot of liquid. You could make agua de Jamaica with some Splenda  You can also drink Latino hot tea. 

My mom made me sopa de frijoles and would strain out the beans so that only the broth remained. My nutritionist approved this, as well as caldo de Rez y caldo de pollo (no meat, just the soup part). She also made caldo de pescado. Basically, caldo all the time. It was a nice break from the shakes. Once you move on to solid foods, you can purée the meat and eat it with the caldo. Just don't make it spicy. Your new tummy wont be ready for spice for a while. 

I hope that helps. I wish we could blend a taco de barbacoa into a shake but that isn't going to happen. :wub:

Omg thank you so much!!! Yes I love frijoles De la olla, caldos  I'm so happy I now know what I can eat I appreciate your feedback so much feww now I can relax I was worried what to eat and canned food or to go food taste bad for me. And omg the end of your message is so hilarious (being able to blend a taco)  Haha I love it.

MelissaDash likes this

Thank y'all for your feedback I love you all.. 

Cadoodle likes this

On 7/29/2017 at 10:34 AM, kayak19 said:

Hi Jackie -

Welcome to Thinner Times!  While I am not Hispanic, I did share your concern about the recovery diet.  I don't care for artificially sweetened foods and I wasn't sure I'd find a protein drink that would work for me.  I had to compromise a little and tell myself that I was going to be eating sugar free jello and the like for a very short time, compared to the rest of my lifetime of eating things that were more of my choosing.  I made a batch of butternut squash soup and froze it in little jars in my freezer.  It was one of my first foods that I tried after the clear liquid diet.  It did not taste good at all to me.  I bought a bunch of sugar free items and ended up using 1 cup of peaches, 2 packages of jello and a couple unsweetened applesauces.  I gave a grocery bag or two of items away to a friend.  I do think the no sugar fruit bars and fudge pops are okay, so I have those in the freezer.  You don't need that much to get through the liquid phase, depending on how long yours is, of course.  My protein drink is made up of things I would normally purchase and eat and fits easily within the parameters of my doctor's plan for me.  I hope this helps - keep researching and asking questions.  I know I've sent my nutritionist 3 or 4 just to make sure I was on the right track.

Thank you love! 

kayak19 likes this

15 hours ago, Jackie Sanchez said:

Omg thank you so much!!! Yes I love frijoles De la olla, caldos  I'm so happy I now know what I can eat I appreciate your feedback so much feww now I can relax I was worried what to eat and canned food or to go food taste bad for me. And omg the end of your message is so hilarious (being able to blend a taco)  Haha I love it.

I'm glad I could help. You will slowly learn how to eat and what works for you. Each person is different and you may find that your tastes change. 

When you get stressed about missing Mexican food, remember that people all over Latin America get this surgery. You will be fine. I promise!! 

This link provides some sample menus towards the bottom of the page. 

http://www.lonestarsurgical.com/spanish/nutricion/

Nobody enjoys the "food" in the first month post-op, it's just a phase to get through on the way to your new fabulously healthy life!

Stephtay, bellamoma, Gretta and 3 others like this

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks @msmarymac

Wow I didn't even think about that! 

I know that the surgery is becoming more popular in Asia too as more people over there are eating more American foods and finding that they need the surgery too. I wonder what they eat in the first few months. That would be an interesting study to do in my "spare" time that doesn't exist....what do the different people around the world eat in the first few months of WLS? Hmmmm.....

Glad you found some things Jackie. I do have to say that your tastes do change a lot after surgery. I never imagined I'd be obsessed with Greek yogurt and PB2 like I am. Greek yogurt is like my foundation food. 

The first month pretty much sucks. There are protein drink brands that I just can't even look at because it still reminds me of being in the hospital or being very sick and I just can't. I remember my then husband made ham one day and I wanted to punch him because it smelled so good. lol. 

Hola, fellow latina here. Although our typical dishes are different (I am Cuban) I feel your pain. Nerdy lady is spot on! Also, keep in mind that the first couple of months are not really about liking anything or enjoying anything. Plus the amount you can eat is so small, you'll find that unless you have a family that will eat what you cook, a lot of it will go to waste before you can eat it. Caldo de anything is great to make in batches bc it feels good on the tummy. I did thinned out refried beans with a couple of shreds of chs and a tiny bit of low fat sour cream once I hit pureed. It was so delicious, but more than a couple of bites were way too much. 

If you make home made tamales, omg. That will be devine once you can eat them. Corn tamale (no sugar) with puréed chicken? Just remember that a couple of bites will be all you can do. 

Its scary to think you will "never" be able to have the things you want again- but you will, within reason, just modified. You can't do spicy at first, but eventually you will. I occasionally indulge in tostones and Moros y cristianos. I even get taco salads sometimes- I skip the beans, get double chicken, and I don't eat the shell it comes in. One taco salad is enough for 2-3 meals for me. 

Hang in there, it is all worth it. Once you're feeling healthier and smaller? You'll be like, arroz what? Who cares!

Stephtay and Jen581791 like this

beans, cheese and you can always mix protein powder in things. I don't eat meat but I love spicy food so one of my go tos was and still is beans with cheese an lots of hot salsa! Good Luck and welcome!

NerdyLady likes this

On 8/5/2017 at 6:57 AM, lightenupwoman said:

Wow I didn't even think about that! 

I know that the surgery is becoming more popular in Asia too as more people over there are eating more American foods and finding that they need the surgery too. I wonder what they eat in the first few months. That would be an interesting study to do in my "spare" time that doesn't exist....what do the different people around the world eat in the first few months of WLS? Hmmmm.....

Glad you found some things Jackie. I do have to say that your tastes do change a lot after surgery. I never imagined I'd be obsessed with Greek yogurt and PB2 like I am. Greek yogurt is like my foundation food. 

The first month pretty much sucks. There are protein drink brands that I just can't even look at because it still reminds me of being in the hospital or being very sick and I just can't. I remember my then husband made ham one day and I wanted to punch him because it smelled so good. lol. 

hi Goodmorning  @lightenupwoman 

wow i didn't know Asia had it too? that's interesting to know what do they eat right hehe. 

you had me laughing where you said your hubby did ham and you wanted to punch him haha. let me tell you i been watching what i eat since the beginning of this month and where i work most of the times there's potlucks going on :( and i hate it when i say no and they still bring me a served plate and leave on my desk even though i had told them no thanks! :( my surgery is around the corner i'm happy and scared.

NerdyLady and Jen581791 like this

10 minutes ago, Jackie Sanchez said:

let me tell you i been watching what i eat since the beginning of this month and where i work most of the times there's potlucks going on :( and i hate it when i say no and they still bring me a served plate and leave on my desk even though i had told them no thanks! :( my surgery is around the corner i'm happy and scared.

Hi Jackie - I'm a non-Latina but Mexican food is my go-to for meals out post-op. I can always find some nice seafood options (I don't eat meat, but there are plenty of meat dishes that will work well for you, too) like Camarones A La Diabla or Al Mojo de Ajo, Fajitas de Camarones, various preparations of pescado. I just don't eat the rice or tortillas - besides being carbs, they feel like they get stuck in my pouch - ouch!

I've had a lot of luck with telling people I'm just eating really low-carb. I'm not saying "No" to their offers, I'm just being selective about what they're offering me. It seems to click with people better than saying "No" or "I can't have that." This is a strategy that will probably get easier when you've lost a noticeable amount of weight because people will respect your method a bit more when they can see it works. Everyone I know who doesn't know about my surgery just knows that I'm having great success with eating really low carb and not drinking. It's also much easier to not eat what you shouldn't after surgery because you know it will make you feel horrible and you can't eat much anyway! 

I think you'll have some really excellent options post-op when you get to the point where you can eat real food again. 

NerdyLady and Jackie Sanchez like this

I went to Puerto Rico 4 months after my surgery what a challenge  I had. Having the surgery one gives a lot up.. I look for roasted chicken and healthier choices. My son is Hispanic and I know I wont be able to eat a lot of the food that I use too. I don't eat canned food either i make everything from scratch but to my liking and change the way i cook it. something's you will just have to suffer through in the beginning it doesn't last that long.

NerdyLady likes this

6 hours ago, bellamoma said:

Hola, fellow latina here. Although our typical dishes are different (I am Cuban) I feel your pain. Nerdy lady is spot on! Also, keep in mind that the first couple of months are not really about liking anything or enjoying anything. Plus the amount you can eat is so small, you'll find that unless you have a family that will eat what you cook, a lot of it will go to waste before you can eat it. Caldo de anything is great to make in batches bc it feels good on the tummy. I did thinned out refried beans with a couple of shreds of chs and a tiny bit of low fat sour cream once I hit pureed. It was so delicious, but more than a couple of bites were way too much. 

If you make home made tamales, omg. That will be devine once you can eat them. Corn tamale (no sugar) with puréed chicken? Just remember that a couple of bites will be all you can do. 

Its scary to think you will "never" be able to have the things you want again- but you will, within reason, just modified. You can't do spicy at first, but eventually you will. I occasionally indulge in tostones and Moros y cristianos. I even get taco salads sometimes- I skip the beans, get double chicken, and I don't eat the shell it comes in. One taco salad is enough for 2-3 meals for me. 

Hang in there, it is all worth it. Once you're feeling healthier and smaller? You'll be like, arroz what? Who cares!

Homemade tamales? Moros y Cristianos?  Tostones? Are you trying to kill me with memories of tastiness?

I miss the idea of rice and masa. I don't think I want dishes made with these ingredients but my head is asking for them. :) 

The last time I went to Colombia, my cousins took me to a place that substituted large tostones for bread in a hamburger. It was a slice of heaven! 

bellamoma likes this

I'm so sorry! I don't mean to tempt at all! Just to say that this is a life long thing, and you can look forward to one day indulging in very small amounts of these things, so long as they are not your cryptonite. I have eliminated my cryptonite- donuts and the like are off my list.  Now I need to plan for a tostone bun burger for my next indulgence day!!!!!! Aaaak!!

On 8/14/2017 at 10:26 AM, bellamoma said:

I'm so sorry! I don't mean to tempt at all! Just to say that this is a life long thing, and you can look forward to one day indulging in very small amounts of these things, so long as they are not your cryptonite. I have eliminated my cryptonite- donuts and the like are off my list.  Now I need to plan for a tostone bun burger for my next indulgence day!!!!!! Aaaak!!

I was mostly kidding. ;) I said it all tongue in cheek  I know that someday I will be able to eat my favorite foods again. At least I can have a bite of lechón! 

Jen581791 likes this