2BMyBest

4th day post op

13 posts in this topic

Quick intro - I started this journey after 20 years of yo yo ing  +100 lbs, usually in 20,30, 40, 50 lb increments.   - Mom to 4 adult kids and Nana to 9 grand kids, great supportive spouse.  I tried everything but found a great trainer and started getting "healthy" about 1 1/2 years ago.  Still couldn't touch the weight, finally on my 58th birthday, I said, at this rate, I will be thin by the time I am dead!!!  I had a client and a friend that had the surgery and I began my research.  In the 8 months of this journey a lot has happened in my life and a month before my surgery my Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer, had a heart attack, my full time assistant was offered a job she could not refuse - life gave me every reason to quit or give up possible.  Somehow I did not, I have the most amazing support network out there and they encouraged me to keep on.   All I really want is to be the best I am capable of being. period.  I want to be healthy enough to enjoy fully my family and including runnning and playing with little ones.  

I "stumbled" upon this site while looking for answers being fairly new to this area.  It has been very helpful and I'm thankful you are there.  Don't know what specifically I have to offer, but I am sure I will be referring frequently.  I am not super techy, so don't even know if I'm doing the "intro" right - wow do I sound old.  I feel a little alone out there, I had been with one surgical group and had to change to another after completing 6 months of qualifications due to insurance issue, was super frustrated, started over with a group over an hour away from my home and I don't know them well, but they've been great so far.  Just so many questions . . . .I'm going to list a few and if anyone has any input, feel free to let me know, I'm sure many of the answers are on these pages but haven't found yet . . .  1) I didn't expect the hunger, not in my stomach, in my brain. WOW, mid summer - come home from hospital and of course everything everyone does seems to revolve around food - this is a rhetorical question obviously, but when people talk about foods I love or I see them in person or on TV, I psychologically still really want them, not sure how I didn't see that truck coming, does this go away somewhat with time?    2) I am a coffee lover and I am getting in my 3 protein and 3 protein supplements per day, + the added water, etc., decalf coffee is on the "allowed extras" page, if I put a little sugar free creamer in, would that be OK, didn't think it could be too much different than sugar free pudding, jello, but haven't tried it yet.   

I'll stop there, nothing quick about it.  

NerdyLady and Jen581791 like this

Welcome to Thinner Times 2BMyBest!

I don't know whether the want for want for foods that got us to the point of needing WLS ever goes away.  It didn't in my case but following the "plan" faithfully in the early stages certainly allowed me to develop good eating habits and the success of seeing the results of sticking to the plan gave me the drive to continue with it.

There's a saying that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels and I can vouch for that.

As for the coffee.  I drink decaf with ff Coffee-Mate but I limit it to one mug a day (12oz).  If I have regular coffee, it's just one cup and I don't count that towards my fluid intake because of the caffeine.

Jen581791, 2BMyBest and Carina like this

Hi 2BeMyBest -

Welcome and congratulations on your surgery!  I'm just a few weeks ahead of you in the process.  My husband always has the tv on in the background and I'm finding that I really don't like that post-op.  I never know when a commercial for something that looks really delicious if going to pop on.  I'm also not wanting to watch shows in The Food Network anymore.  Seeing those things is triggering head hunger or cravings that would not be there if I didn't see them.  @Jen581791 posted information about a study recently that smells can trigger an insulin response (I think that's what it was) and therefore cause weight gain and someone else said they read about how that can happen just by seeing food in some people.  So I'm trying to minimize the visuals right now.  Not sure if that will always be the case, but it is right now for me.  

Hang in there - we will get through it - but I agree, food is everywhere.  I'm learning how to put it in it's proper perspective.

2BMyBest, Jen581791 and NerdyLady like this

Welcome! Looking forward to getting to know you better!

2BMyBest likes this

3 hours ago, 2BMyBest said:

Quick intro - I started this journey after 20 years of yo yo ing  +100 lbs, usually in 20,30, 40, 50 lb increments.   - Mom to 4 adult kids and Nana to 9 grand kids, great supportive spouse.  I tried everything but found a great trainer and started getting "healthy" about 1 1/2 years ago.  Still couldn't touch the weight, finally on my 58th birthday, I said, at this rate, I will be thin by the time I am dead!!!  I had a client and a friend that had the surgery and I began my research.  In the 8 months of this journey a lot has happened in my life and a month before my surgery my Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer, had a heart attack, my full time assistant was offered a job she could not refuse - life gave me every reason to quit or give up possible.  Somehow I did not, I have the most amazing support network out there and they encouraged me to keep on.   All I really want is to be the best I am capable of being. period.  I want to be healthy enough to enjoy fully my family and including runnning and playing with little ones.  

I "stumbled" upon this site while looking for answers being fairly new to this area.  It has been very helpful and I'm thankful you are there.  Don't know what specifically I have to offer, but I am sure I will be referring frequently.  I am not super techy, so don't even know if I'm doing the "intro" right - wow do I sound old.  I feel a little alone out there, I had been with one surgical group and had to change to another after completing 6 months of qualifications due to insurance issue, was super frustrated, started over with a group over an hour away from my home and I don't know them well, but they've been great so far.  Just so many questions . . . .I'm going to list a few and if anyone has any input, feel free to let me know, I'm sure many of the answers are on these pages but haven't found yet . . .  1) I didn't expect the hunger, not in my stomach, in my brain. WOW, mid summer - come home from hospital and of course everything everyone does seems to revolve around food - this is a rhetorical question obviously, but when people talk about foods I love or I see them in person or on TV, I psychologically still really want them, not sure how I didn't see that truck coming, does this go away somewhat with time?    2) I am a coffee lover and I am getting in my 3 protein and 3 protein supplements per day, + the added water, etc., decalf coffee is on the "allowed extras" page, if I put a little sugar free creamer in, would that be OK, didn't think it could be too much different than sugar free pudding, jello, but haven't tried it yet.   

I'll stop there, nothing quick about it.  

Welcome to the forum, and what a great introduction! 

Keep us updated, your input will no doubt be valuable to someone else!

2BMyBest likes this

Welcome! :) 

This forum is my only support network as I'm nomadic at the moment. I hope you find it to be as helpful as I do! Friendly people, great advice, and amazing role models.

Head hunger - why can't they come up with an operation for that??? I think you'll have an easier time once new eating patterns become more of a habit, but at the same time, I suppose those thoughts will always be there... Gotta fight em or learn coping strategies at least!

2BMyBest likes this

Welcome!  I still talk to myself and tell myself I'm not really hungry, just drink!  

I have made chocolate shakes with decaf coffee..

2BMyBest likes this

Welcome to the Forum! Unlike most people on this page, I drink about two cups of coffee a day. My doctor said it was OK and I tolerate it well. Maybe you could double check with the nutritionist? 

2BMyBest likes this

Thank you all for your kind welcome.  This forum was a real lifeline today, I read so much, it really served double purpose, it distracted me from thinking about eating and I got a lot of great ideas and information. (Normally I would DO stuff, but still low energy and sore from surgery) I made a shake I drank before WLS which included SVELTE Cappucino protein drink, 4 oz coffee (used decaf this time) some fat free milk, sugar free French vanilla creamer and ice, I really loved it before.  Today, I could only get maybe 4 oz total down before I felt some heartburn type feeling and just didn't feel great so I quit.  Looking forward to more energy in the upcoming days and reading more about all of you and trying to figure out the best way to navigate this site!  On the plus side, I've had no nausea (SO THANKFUL), down a few lbs and pretty much tolerating everything and feeling better each day. 

NerdyLady and Jen581791 like this

7 minutes ago, 2BMyBest said:

Thank you all for your kind welcome.  This forum was a real lifeline today, I read so much, it really served double purpose, it distracted me from thinking about eating and I got a lot of great ideas and information. (Normally I would DO stuff, but still low energy and sore from surgery) I made a shake I drank before WLS which included SVELTE Cappucino protein drink, 4 oz coffee (used decaf this time) some fat free milk, sugar free French vanilla creamer and ice, I really loved it before.  Today, I could only get maybe 4 oz total down before I felt some heartburn type feeling and just didn't feel great so I quit.  Looking forward to more energy in the upcoming days and reading more about all of you and trying to figure out the best way to navigate this site!  On the plus side, I've had no nausea (SO THANKFUL), down a few lbs and pretty much tolerating everything and feeling better each day. 

I'm glad this forum brought you comfort today. I had my surgery in Mexico, far from home and did not have a support group. I came to the forum desperate for help because I had no one to talk with. This forum is my support group. When I am down , I come here to find love, support and validation. Sometimes I don't have time to post but I make sure to log on to get inspired. 

Glad to have you around. 

Jen581791 and Michael_A like this

@NerdyLady I think it is amazing that you are so involved, you have done such an amazing job, so close to your goal in a relatively short time, a true inspiration!  It's easy to read and ask for help when you are four days post op like me,  but when you are months or years in like you, and many other members, and life is moving along great, taking the time to help the people behind you is great!  Quick question, what is NSV?

45 minutes ago, 2BMyBest said:

@NerdyLady I think it is amazing that you are so involved, you have done such an amazing job, so close to your goal in a relatively short time, a true inspiration!  It's easy to read and ask for help when you are four days post op like me,  but when you are months or years in like you, and many other members, and life is moving along great, taking the time to help the people behind you is great!  Quick question, what is NSV?

Non Scale Victory. We've got jargon just like every subgroup out there :) 

2BMyBest likes this

9 hours ago, 2BMyBest said:

.....Quick question, what is NSV?

This thread is helpful:  WLS verbage thinnertimesisms

2BMyBest and Jen581791 like this