Bigfuzzy

Blood pressure

5 posts in this topic

I am over a 1 & 1/2 years out. Before surgery I was on 2 blood pressure meds, I am off both since surgery.

I check my blood pressure & glucose every morning. my blood pressure after surgery had dropped in to the 100s to

1 teens over 60s to 70s. now 1st thing in the morning it is checking upper 120s to upper 130s over upper 70s to mid 80s.

a lot of times after a walk or in the after noon it will check in the low 100s to low 1 teens over upper 60s to low 70s.

I don't like it going back up. any thoughts as to why or what to do about it. I don't want it to keep climbing & have to go

back on meds. why does it check lower in the afternoons, looks like it would higher then when I first get up.

NerdyLady likes this

Have you talked with your PCP and/or surgeon about the change in your blood pressure Bigfuzzy?  

In honesty, it's not something I'd be on the fence about - better to be safe than sorry when it comes to heart related issues.

There is a specific kind of high blood pressure called "morning hypertension". It's not wholly uncommon to have higher BPs in the morning - especially once you're back on medication, you'll be higher when  you first wake up because you haven't taken meds yet. I'm assuming if you're back on meds, you spoke with your PCP, but if not, I'd definitely go see them!

An important thing to check after you're a ways out from surgery - has your salt intake re-increased? Are you getting enough fluids in? Your salt intake and your kidneys control more of your blood pressure than you think. 

On 7/29/2017 at 3:48 AM, Bigfuzzy said:

I am over a 1 & 1/2 years out. Before surgery I was on 2 blood pressure meds, I am off both since surgery.

I check my blood pressure & glucose every morning. my blood pressure after surgery had dropped in to the 100s to

1 teens over 60s to 70s. now 1st thing in the morning it is checking upper 120s to upper 130s over upper 70s to mid 80s.

a lot of times after a walk or in the after noon it will check in the low 100s to low 1 teens over upper 60s to low 70s.

I don't like it going back up. any thoughts as to why or what to do about it. I don't want it to keep climbing & have to go

back on meds. why does it check lower in the afternoons, looks like it would higher then when I first get up.

I agree with @delilas, if it IS a usual occurrence, you should mention it to your PCP. Any kind of ongoing high blood pressure situation is a cardiovascular risk. 

mentioned to dr the last time I saw him(2 months ago) he didn't seamed concerned & didn't think it would go over 140/90.

due to my wonderful Obama care policy I cant run to the dr all the time. I don't go to the surgeon due to insurance not covering it

until 6000 dollar deductible is paid.(still  haven't figured out why it cost my wife & myself over 1700.00 a month)I just thought that with all the resources(people) on here

someone may have had this happen. Delilas, I don't take meds anymore so not the problem also don't think it is the salt as I have

reduced it.   

Michael_A likes this