nanabanana

New to Thinner Times :)

16 posts in this topic

Hi All! 

I am Dana and I will be 4 weeks post op. My friend recommend I join this forum.  Looking forward to learning more.  I feel like I am def. struggling at this stage with getting in fluid and food I just don't feel like I want to try anything. I have been having some nausea this week (which didn't have before) so I am not really sure what thats about but hopefully it will pass too :) 

Welcome to Thinner Times Dana and congratulations on your recent WLS.

We don't all come out of the gate to find things plain sailing but hang in there.  And far as the nausea is concerned, is there any particular food or drink (milk and/or protein shakes) that brings it on?  Either way, it's always best to check in with your surgeon about things like that.

Trish1967, nanabanana and Jen581791 like this

Welcome, Dana. You've made it through the first month, which is a grouchy one, in my experience. It gets easier :) 

Welcome! We're glad you're here :) I was wondering if you're getting in enough fluids...if you're not, sometimes that can make you a bit nauseous. Hang in there, it gets better, even thought it probably doesn't seem that way right now.

Karimeaway and nanabanana like this

Call your surgeon or someone else on the surgical team. You know your body and if something doesn't feel right call your surgical team. They want you to succeed.

nanabanana and Trish1967 like this

Hi, I'm Laura and I am almost 8 weeks post-op. I am feeling great now (first 6 weeks was no joke), but I'm starting to feel "normal" again - the new normal of course, but adjusting nicely. I want to be part of a community who are having the same experiences as I am and make connections to support and be supported in this journey. 

nanabanana, Trish1967 and Aksh like this

Welcome, @Laura Bee! We have the same surgeon and had the same surgery. I'm a little over 8 weeks out. :) Looking forward to getting to know you better!

Welcome to Thinner Times Laura!

nanabanana, Laura Bee and Trish1967 like this

Welcome to TTF guys!

@Laura Bee it's a really great community of folks and I think you'll benefit from being able to talk about pretty much everything with folks here, good and bad, knowing that we all get where you're coming from in a way that many people would not.

@nanabanana I would say things like the nausea will pass, how long I think varies person to person but if you stick to the medical advice, try and get sufficent rest and keep walking/active through the day to keep the blood flowing and body not getting too sedated/bed-ridden, it all helps with the healing + definitely try your best to keep a good fluid intake. Trust me, it will prevent a lot of problems down the line incuding even more uncomfortable things like constipation as you get back to semi and solid foods - it takes time to build your ability to drink enough so don't discount getting into the habit of keeping a bottle within reach and taking even the equivalent of a spoon-sized sip every few minutes just so that you are constantly building up the water reserves in your system.

Water is great because is flushes you out, keeps you hydrated and thus is nothing but good for the healing process and overall well-being. We are largely made up of water so when it drops too low it affects you in too many ways to list.

NOTE: I would recommend that you try out different ways you can take in water as I found different things were more or less palatable as I tried them. The ones I tried in the earliest weeks were: coconut water, green tea, jasmine tea (all teas were without ANYTHING but leaves and water), pulses/dal after straining out the solids and with some salt/spices for flavour and even a little black coffee. These were the ones that worked for me and the variety kept monotony from making me sick of any one item. And of course very low-fat milk once a day with a little protien powder as I was able to have more post 2 weeks - I used a brand called ON which has a bunch of flavours, their double chocolate and banana+strawberry being the best I found.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Trish1967 and Jen581791 like this

@Laura Bee welcome to you and congrats! :) I agree, the first month is so hard and I find myself sad sometimes but I know it will get better and I keep reminding myself what my goals are and my why!

@cinwa @Jen581791 @Trish1967 @Spunkycat @Gretta

You all are so welcoming thank you so much for all the shared experiences and advice! I think you guys nailed it.. I am def. not getting enough fluid... I really am struggling. I met with my physician today and she told me I need to find a way to get my protein in.. I just can't eat or drink right now .. everything makes me feel sick but do you guys have any recommendations on protein drinks? I tried muscle milk, slim fast, bariatric advantage and some others and ugh I can't even get through a quarter bottle in a few hours lol

I would appreciate any tips on how you guys got in some protein. I think walking I def. need to do more of (I just started walking in the pool this weekend which seems to be okay) and I wil def. take up the suggestion on sipping all day from a bottle to get water in :)

Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

Try different temperatures of liquids - you might find one that works better. Hot tea was easier for me than cooler beverages. Mint tea might help to settle your stomach, or maybe ginger.

If you add a bit of unflavored protein powder to stronger flavored food (like soup), it might go down more easily?

Keep trying different protein brands - I like Syntrax, but lots of others like premier. Hopefully you'll find something that works for you.

Increased protein intake now = decreased hair loss later, if you need motivation ;) 

AK8483 and Trish1967 like this

The easiest thing for me was buying chicken bone broth (more protein than regular broth or stock). I had to add chicken bouillon to make it palatable, but it went down really easily.

Trish1967 and nanabanana like this

That is def. a good motivator lol :D oh good idea with the unflavored protein powder I will look up some options for that! Thank you! :)

Trish1967 and Jen581791 like this

It was very difficult for me to get my protein in in the beginning. Until I could start solids, I wasn't even close. Still, most days, I only get in about 57-60g. I'm about 10 weeks out. Just try to choose the liquids (or foods, depending on what stage you're in) that have the most bang for the buck, protein wise, and that really helps a lot. The fluids are definitely important...I carry a water bottle everywhere. I can easily drink 90+ ounces a day now. When I get bored with plain water, I put a half bottle of grape Powerade zero in the bottle and either dilute it with cold water, or fill the bottle with ice. It tastes really good, and keeps me hydrated!

Jen581791 and cinwa like this

Cold cooked shrimp and tilapia were my "go to" foods early on and I still eat a lot of fish. Most varieties of fish and shellfish are packed with protein.

i also make shrimp scampi a lot. My husband gets his over pasta. I put mine over zucchini swirls.

i also put red sauce over the zucchini swirls with meatballs and or sweet Italian sausage . Yum.

AK8483 likes this

Hey there, how are you feeling now? It really does get easier as time goes by. I found I had to drink my protein what felt like longer than others. I hated it, but I felt awful when I didn't do it. It truly does get easier as time goes by!

Smashlee83 likes this