Sally L

Got my Surgery Date

7 posts in this topic

07/27/17

I got my surgery date which is September 11, 2017.  I am bot excited and scared.  Any advice?

Cheers,

Sally L

Trish1967 and Jen581791 like this

Congrats on your date! There is tons of great information on this forum. Read, read, read. Ask, ask, ask.

Trish1967 likes this

6 hours ago, Gretta said:

Congrats on your date! There is tons of great information on this forum. Read, read, read. Ask, ask, ask.

As usual, I totally agree with Greta. 

Congrstulations on getting your surgery date. Exciting and thin times lie ahead. We are here to support you. :)

Trish1967 and Gretta like this

6 hours ago, Gretta said:

I agree as well - this forum helped me feel confident that there are many people who find success after WLS, which solidified my decision to move forward  I found it about a week before my surgery and found that I was actually more excited and confident than nervous by the date of my surgery.  I had read about some of the post-op challenges but also had potential solutions that I was ready to try so I felt armed and ready!  And it was so nice that people from this forum were actually checking in with me on the day of my surgery and after.  This is a special group to be a part of.

14 hours ago, Sally L said:

07/27/17

I got my surgery date which is September 11, 2017.  I am bot excited and scared.  Any advice?

Cheers,

Sally L

Well, you are at risk if you are asking this group for advice...:rolleyes:

Plan for your surgery day and have a kit set to go (pajamas, toiletries, books, etc.). Great recent threads on this. 

Practice your Plan in terms of the diet ahead of time.... try some protein shakes, stock up on Jello or the equivalent, have chicken broth in the house. Some of the stuff that is effective but not common is (for example) not having liquids at meal times. Try it. It's odd (but effective). 

Think, but don't act yet, on what you might tell people - at work, school, or whatever, as well as friends or family - and get advice so you are comfortable in what you do. Read through some of the threads here on the topic so the issues are voiced. 

Last, if you are physically able, try to get into the habit of some exercise like swimming or walking or ... something. It combats depression, people who exercise even a little bit have much better weight loss statistically than people who don't, and if you strengthen your belly muscles before surgery you may recover a bit faster. It is not critical to weight loss but more like an insurance policy. Separate from the weight loss issue, exercise is a critical health determinant, so do consider it from that angle too. Do you have a nearby gym or high school you can use? Friends who might walk with you? If it is a social activity it helps prevent backsliding. 

There. Hope not too gratuitous. If you go fishing here you will certainly get fish!

Sally L likes this

Follow your surgeons instructions, not advice from other people. If you have questions, call The surgeons office. They have a bunch of people on the team.They are working for you and want you to succeed.

Res Ipsa likes this

Hi Sally,

We'll be surgery twins as I'll have my RNY on 9/11 too!  Our stats are similar, so I will definitely follow your journey. Best of luck to you!