Isaare

Got to goal in 6 months

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi to all! It seems that I've reached goal weight (my surgeon's suggested goal weight; my endocrinologist still wants me to lose another 2-3 kilos) in 6 months after surgery. BMI 25.2, 40 kg lost. 

But I'm still actively losing weight (slower but actively losing).

Does it stop spontaneously? Do I need to do something to stop it? Do I really need to stop it?

Thanks!!

Edited by Isaare
NerdyLady likes this

Stay on plan, your surgeon has one goal weight to mark his surgery as successful, and your own goal weight is likely quite different. I hit my surgeon's target 3 years ago, and hit my own original goal over three years ago. At almost 4.5 years out, my revised  target is 2 pounds away. It is 50 pounds lighter than what the surgeon was looking for.

NerdyLady likes this

Great job on the weight loss!  I still remember when you joined TTF and had questions about weight loss surgery.  Now you are a weight loss surgery success! :)

In terms of your current status, you should keep losing weight until you reach the weight that makes you look healthy - you may need help on this from a spouse, primary care physician, significant other or best friend - and that is your real goal weight.  As everyone's body is different, relying on your surgeon, BMI or weight charts is rarely the total solution.  You don't want to get too far below your goal weight (a few kilos is fine, but no more).  You can stop losing weight (and even gain weight if you need to do so) by adding some more calories to your diet each day - for example, an extra snack or two, even snacks with a some carbs in them.  You can also increase calories by eating more cheese or other calorie dense foods.  Continue to avoid eating trigger foods - foods that once you start eating them you cannot stop (for example, potato chips for many of us).

So if you really think that you are at your goal weight and don't want to lose more weight, why don't you try adding some really nice cheese (and I know that Spain has wonderful cheeses :D) and crackers to your diet as a snack each day?  You could also add a glass, but no more, of nice wine with dinner (assuming that you can handle the alcohol and do not drive after drinking any alcohol).

Obviously, if you add too many calories and gain weight then you will need to cut back on these extra calories so that you can lose some weight and return to your goal weight.  Such is life at maintenance, which is where you will be for the rest of your life.

We are here to support you.

@tmcgee  Which is my own goal weight? Hm, that's a good question. I don't feel bad at this very moment, my aching knee doestn't hurt anymore, my BP is always normal now, I don't have high cholesterol anymore... 

For my height, "normal" is somewhere between 57 and 67 kg. Talking about BMI.

If I was able to, I'd love to get to 60 kilos (vanity!),  but I would only accept it given that my lean body mass wouldn't get lower than now. I don't want to feel "weak" and my knees need muscle to stay stable. So maybe 45 kg of lean body mass + 15 kg of body fat? That's 25% body fat which doesn't sound bad at all.

But as @Res Ipsa has said, I need to get a healthy look, so I don't know if this "ideal estimation" fits the real world and the healthy look or not... I suppose time will tell... I'll stay on plan and see!

Isaare,

A  BMI of 25.2 will still leave you in the overweight category (only just).  I don't know how you feel about that I didn't put myself through this to end up still overweight so I set my goal to get (and stay) in the normal BMI for my height.

Given that, at just 6 months out, unless you go back to your pre-WLS eating habits, it's likely that you'll continue to lose for a while anyway.

Jen581791, ikantspel, Isaare and 1 other like this

My current BMI is about 25.2, which technically is in the overweight BMI category, but if you saw me you would see that I am at my proper goal weight. 

I was five pounds lighter than I am now a year after my surgery, and in the upper end of the normal BMI category, but I was too thin (which was a weird concept to accept for someone who had been overweight almost all of my life).

NerdyLady, tmcgee, Trish13 and 1 other like this

I feel fine too, Geoff, even though I am a couple of pounds more than the charts. I don't care, I'm quite happy!

Res Ipsa, ikantspel and Trish13 like this

Geoff and Tom raise a good point in that the BMI charts are only guidelines.

Res Ipsa and tmcgee like this

On 7/27/2017 at 5:04 AM, Res Ipsa said:

My current BMI is about 25.2, which technically is in the overweight BMI category, but if you saw me you would see that I am at my proper goal weight.

Just a note about BMI in general, and not criticizing at all your specific comment.... the BMI is a horrible tool, honestly. Yes, we all live and die by it around here and in obesity related things in general. But it is very unscientific, it lumps ALL people into a single category , and can't take into account body types and shapes, those who are more muscular (as am I, buried under the blubber lol) and in general, where the "weight" is coming from- how muscular are you, how thick are your bones, etc. It frequently calls normal people obese, and obese people normal.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/26/why-bmi-isnt-the-best-measure-for-weight-or-health/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bmi-is-a-terrible-measure-of-health/

This is no doubt why the BMI is obviously wrong for you.  

tmcgee and NerdyLady like this

The optimal weight charts are fiction as well, Michael. They always wanted me to be 30 pounds less than I was with a BMI in the teens when I was much younger.

Michael_A likes this

On 27/7/2017 at 1:28 PM, Res Ipsa said:

You don't want to get too far below your goal weight (a few kilos is fine, but no more). 

Continue to avoid eating trigger foods

Why don't you try adding some really nice cheese (and I know that Spain has wonderful cheeses :D) and crackers to your diet as a snack each day?  

Today, I am at my endocrinologist's goal. BMI 24. 65.4 kg. Next visit with my surgeon it's scheduled for september 13th.

This august I've been travelling and my food has changed (living at my mother in law's for a month, and visiting London and Ribadesella). During that month my weight "stabilized" (eating about 1300 kcal per day, and crackers and cheese as staples, at more or less 95 grams of CH and 60 grams of fat per day), and when I've come back home I've started losing weight again (about 1000 kcal per day, no crackers, only low fat cheese, about 60 grams of CH per day and 40 grams of fat). 

So I believe that now I know my maintenance calories and macros (aprox.). Anyway, I think I will stay on plan until I reach 60 kilos (if I ever do), and only then I'll start to "actively maintain"...

Gretta, Res Ipsa, Jen581791 and 3 others like this

@Isaare, how nice to have figured out approximately your maintenance calories and macros! That's got to be a great feeling :) I'm really curious as to how that will work for me, so I'll look to your updates for tips. 

Congrats on getting to your endocrinologist's goal! BMI 24 sounds great.

NerdyLady, ikantspel and Isaare like this

I was losing weight very steadily for the first 6 months and then when I hit around 113 pounds it stopped rather abruptly. I had become a bit more relaxed about eating carbs and the occasional drink but there was really no very huge change in what I ate. So in my case, my weight loss naturally stopped without any effort or choice on my part once I reached a certain weight. Since then I have fluctuated between about 107 and 115 pounds depending on TOM, whether I ate a lot of carbs, whether I missed a meal, what time of day I weigh, if I weigh in clothes etc.

Everyone has a different goal weight and maybe a different optimal for health weight too: and healthiest weight depends on frame and muscularity and many factors. Being a little bit overweight may be more healthy than being a little bit underweight. On the other hand, there tends to be a small regain with WLS patients from their lowest weight so perhaps an advantage in having a lowest weight more on the low side than the high side. 

If I were you, I wouldn't make a big effort to stop losing weight. It seems for every one person who loses too much there are 20 who lost less than they would like. You are in your honeymoon and will never lose weight so effortlessly. Make the most of it! (Of course if you get under normal BMI, you need to take action).

my 2 cents.....  whatever you decide your end goal is, try to go a few pounds under.  Many people experience a slight bounce back from the low weight.  Not much, five pounds or less but if your end goal doesn't give you some leeway those five pounds could drive you crazy.  Can you tell I'm speaking from experience here?????  LOL 

Res Ipsa and Jen581791 like this

We all have to have a goal when we start - even if it's just a ballpark figure but ultimately, knowing your frame size once you getting into the normal BMI range for your height is essential.

I spent my whole pre-WLS life being told that I had a "big frame".  Well, post-op, my wrist measures 5 1/4".  I went from a 7 - 8 extra wide down to a 5 1/2 shoe and my wedding/engagement rings went from an 8 to 4.5 (I did have them sized back up to 5 a few months later because they were too snug in warm weather.  

Turns out that have a small frame and all it took was a doc with a set of calipers to measure my elbow and wrist.

Jen581791, Res Ipsa and Isaare like this