T.T.

1-week post-op

9 posts in this topic

Hello all. I am 1 week post VSG. I am struggling. Please allow me to rant. I have a lot of pain. My tummy is very sore, mostly on the right side. I have so much bloating and gas that I can't release. I absolutely HATE the chewable vitamins they make me gag just thinking about them and give me anxiety.   I'm nauseous most of the time. I can't really eat anything and haven't eaten more than 1/2 cup of broth each day.  Today was supposed to be my first day on puréed food and I was so excited. I tried to eat the tiniest bit of mashed banana and my stomach or upper chest area felt like it was twisting and turning. It was so painful. I am not sure if that pain is from the introduction of thicker food or from the enormous amount of gas I STILL have in my gut. I take gas-x, protonix, nausea meds, and Miralax. I can only get about 48-50oz of water in a day. I know it has only been a week. I know I sound like a whiny baby, but I'm so miserable. I battle depression and I'm usually ok. But I feel so down and distraught. I want to be positive and chipper about changing my life but right now I can't seem to manage that. Any suggestion on getting rid of the gas, eating without pain, and staying encouraged would be welcomed. Thank you. 

tracyringo and BurgundyBoy like this

Hi! So sorry you're having so much trouble. I had a really rough first week, too. That gas pain, ugh! I threw up my Centrum chewable vitamins every time. I called my surgeon, and he switched me to 2 Flintstones Complete vitamins a day. Pain medicine, lots of movement (walk a lot & change positions often - arms above your head, bend over, etc.), and time help the gas pain. Maybe ease back on the Miralax until the gas is gone. Give liquids another week before moving on to purees. Try all different temperatures of liquids. Really try to get 60 grams of protein a day. It will get better. Hugs.

Oh, this stage sucks. The chest pain may be from gas used to inflate your belly when they do the surgery... different from gas in your intestines from the usual causes. This gas gets dissolved in you and then bubbles out in your tissues, like a scuba diver getting the bends. Resolving this just takes time, and because it is not related to your guts all the other stuff you are taking will not alter the pace of its resolution. That was my major complaint after surgery. The other major reason for chest pain is that your innards just can't handle much volume right now, and your esophagus gets distended as the foods back up before making their way into your stomach. As you note, just taking small amounts is the solution for this. BOTH OF THESE WILL PASS and you will be fine soon. Be strong. 

Not commonly done, but a probiotic which puts mellow bacteria in your gut may help the intestinal gas pains to go away sooner. l used the Culturelle product before and after surgery and did not have a single gas pain after surgery. I would take that 2 cents for what it is worth, but I think it helps smooth out the intestinal warfare going on. I am a scientist and there is a strong scientific basis for the use of probiotics around surgery. 

I was slow being able to go from liquids to purees too. ... ended up becoming adept at using liquids like premade soups; broth with eggs whipped into them; and beef bones or fish stocks to add FLAVOR and PLEASURE to the liquids. My quick recommendation is a cup of chicken broth, or fish stock, heated to a boil; add some lemon juice or a vinegar to make it a bit acid; beat an egg in a small bowl and then drip it into the broth while you whisk the broth with a fork ... it will become flocculent with a million tiny threads of egg, and far more delicious than the plain broth or stock. More flavor, more protein, what could be bad? ... Add 1/4 tsp of sesame oil and it is fragrant too. This will add pleasure to your life. BurgundyBoy is strongly in favor of pleasure and beauty in daily life.

You'll do okay. This stage just sucks for everyone. @Gretta is (as always) dead right to focus her comment on getting that protein in. It helps you heal, and avoid things like hair loss in the future. 

Welcome! Please, vent away! We all have been where you're at and, yep, it sucks. It will get better though. Promise. It sounds awful but at one week post-op, I think I tried to sleep as much as possible to distract myself. And I made a countdown calendar for the days to go for each stage. The above posters both have great advice and, in the meantime, just take it one day at a time and before you know it, your current misery will be a distant memory. And it'll totally be worth it. For now though, come here and vent or ask questions as much as you need to. We'll try to support you the best we can.

BurgundyBoy and Jen581791 like this

Call your doctor. You may be on the way to dehydration.

Michael_A likes this

28 minutes ago, Spunkycat said:

Call your doctor. You may be on the way to dehydration.

@T.T.  No reason to suffer. Put a call in and let 'em make sure you are ok, especially before the weekend.... ;)

Checking in to see how you're doing T.T.

Thank you for your encouraging words and support. I was foolish to think I was alone in this. I had a tension headache yesterday that sent me to the ER. I was trying to stay off the pain meds but alas I had to return to them for relief. Today is a better day. I still have horrible stomach pain when I try to eat anything thicker than water. Thank you @BurgundyBoyfor the recipe suggestion for adding egg to soup. I will try that. It is very encouraging to know that this is just a stage. I can't wait to look back on these days and shake my head.

CurvyMermaid and Jen581791 like this

26 minutes ago, T.T. said:

Thank you for your encouraging words and support. I was foolish to think I was alone in this. I had a tension headache yesterday that sent me to the ER. I was trying to stay off the pain meds but alas I had to return to them for relief. Today is a better day. I still have horrible stomach pain when I try to eat anything thicker than water. Thank you @BurgundyBoyfor the recipe suggestion for adding egg to soup. I will try that. It is very encouraging to know that this is just a stage. I can't wait to look back on these days and shake my head.

Things get better. 

When you add the egg to the soup broth, the drop of acidity makes the egg white protein coagulate better. With that, and whipping the broth with a fork or sppon like a mad person as you slowly add the beaten egg, you'll get a cloud of these delicate gossamer-like bits. If you don't you'll get big globs and curse me for this stupid suggestion. Just pretend you are whipping away your weight and discomfort all at once and you will turn this broth into a metaphor for whatever it is we are undergoing. (Actually saying what that metaphor is ... is above my pay grade, since I don't understand this so very well myself. I just know I'm smaller). :D

Sorry about your headache. They can really be evil.