kileyhilyer

Hair loss after 18 months post op

7 posts in this topic

I had the normal bought of hair loss that peaked 6 months after surgery (RNY). It stopped and my hair began to grow back at about 9 months post op. I just recently have started seeing my hair come out like it had before. I have not changed my diet, I take my vitamins every day, I take additional biotin, and I have contacted my doctors office and they didn't have any suggestions. Has anyone else experienced this? 

Not me, but perhaps this is not related to your diet or your vitamins since they haven't changed. [Of course I would have my vitamin and protein levels checked, especially since you had a bypass]. I'd see a dermatologist and consider the possibility it is unrelated to the WLS. $hit happens even to people with WLS!

Jen581791 likes this

There are quite a few reasons for hair loss that may not be related to WLS, especially once you're this far out. I'd talk to your doc about a referral to derm, and also possibly thyroid testing - my biggest indicator of being hypothyroid was my hair falling out. 

Jen581791 and BurgundyBoy like this

Is it mostly bypass patients that have the hair issues ?

2 hours ago, tracyringo said:

Is it mostly bypass patients that have the hair issues ?

It's an issue for everyone, as far as I've read. 

My poor hair :( It's not as bad as some people's I've seen pix of, but it's not thick to begin with! It really doesn't need to be any thinner! I feel like singing to it softly and telling it everything's going to be OK. 

If you're curious about the science, Chemistry Queen on YouTube has a whole episode on that. It's pretty informative.

tracyringo likes this

I had a small amount of hair loss right after my surgery, but my hair was back to normal after about nine months. I have not had any hair problems since (beyond the usual male thinning hair for someone my age).

Be sure to have very comprehensive blood tests every year after a gastric bypass. There is a chance that your hair loss is due to a vitamin or mineral deficiency, which can occur in some people even when they take extra vitamins, and which should be easy to remedy. 

Thanks @Jen581791 I will be checking that out.. I have long hair and I want to keep it lol.. So I am definitely going to be getting my protein and vitamins in god willing.

Jen581791 likes this