doll777

Struggling

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I have been struggling a lot lately. I have gained some weight back, no where near all, but like 20-30 pounds. I am so scared that I will gain it all back. In addition, I have been struggling with most all food and drink making me sick with no answers from doctors as to the reason. I have been through MRI's, CAT scans, Hydro scans, ultrasounds, several scopes. The next step is more surgery to check for a hernia. I did this to have fewer medical problems and I seem to be sick more often than ever before. I am deficient in several vitamins, including iron. I was told the best way to deal with that is an IV but my doctor refuses to do it because she thinks she can just have me take more vitamins. I have been taking them the way she said and my iron hasn't moved. I think it is because the surgery only allows me to absorb so much through my stomach, so upping the dose is only causing the extra to be immediately disposed of in my body. I am still happy that I did it but so much seems to be a constant struggle and I feel like I just want everything to be over. I have even thought about seeing if it could be reversed. I don't know what to do anymore. I was really positive for a long time but it seems more difficult lately. I don't know if what I am feeling is normal or not but I know that it is hard to deal with. 

Edited by doll777
tmcgee likes this

I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles.  It is so frustrating when you are feeling bad and no one can find an answer or seem to be able to fix it. Are you working with your primary care doc or your surgeon?  If primary care, I'd  certainly get into the surgeon.  If it's your surgeon, I guess I'd press for a more aggressive approach to solving this, including the addition of infusions to get your iron levels back where they need to be. 

I think what you're feeling is entirely normal...no one wants to feel sick all the time!  I wish you the best and hope you find some answers soon!

doll777 likes this

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. I think it's odd your primary won't do the IV for iron. I think I'd look for another primary and address this iron problem first. I think you'll feel stronger after that and better able to address the other issues. Hugs.

doll777 likes this

It has been both the primary and the surgeon. The vitamin deficiencies have been with the primary, so maybe my surgeon is a good place to go to consult about that. The rest is already with the surgeon, without many results, other than adding raglan to my medications. It doesn't seem to help much.

1 hour ago, doll777 said:

I was told the best way to deal with that is an IV but my doctor refuses to do it because she thinks she can just have me take more vitamins.

Is there any way you push for this with another doctor or provider? Find someone who will do it for you?  I have a good friend, who has to routinely go in for iron IV infusions, every three or four months. She looks forward to it lol, it's her "mommy alone time" she says. Shows up with a coffee and good book and settles in for a couple hours or whatever...

I very much hope this gets resolved for you soon!

Stay with your plan, most people lose their path when they increase simple carbs. What you did to lose the weight in the first place will still work -- you just have to stick to it.

Stephtay and LeeC like this

8 hours ago, doll777 said:

Hi,

I have been struggling a lot lately. I have gained some weight back, no where near all, but like 20-30 pounds. I am so scared that I will gain it all back. In addition, I have been struggling with most all food and drink making me sick with no answers from doctors as to the reason. I have been through MRI's, CAT scans, Hydro scans, ultrasounds, several scopes. The next step is more surgery to check for a hernia. I did this to have fewer medical problems and I seem to be sick more often than ever before. I am deficient in several vitamins, including iron. I was told the best way to deal with that is an IV but my doctor refuses to do it because she thinks she can just have me take more vitamins. I have been taking them the way she said and my iron hasn't moved. I think it is because the surgery only allows me to absorb so much through my stomach, so upping the dose is only causing the extra to be immediately disposed of in my body. I am still happy that I did it but so much seems to be a constant struggle and I feel like I just want everything to be over. I have even thought about seeing if it could be reversed. I don't know what to do anymore. I was really positive for a long time but it seems more difficult lately. I don't know if what I am feeling is normal or not but I know that it is hard to deal with. 

if your iron hasn't moved, you can say to your PCP that we tried the usual route and since that didn't work, time to move to Plan B (the iv route). Like the others I think you should try this and if it doesn't work... move on. 

What vitamins are you taking? Did you have a bypass or sleeve? 

I would be emotionally low after this too... but looking at your numbers you have still accomplished a lot and regaining 30 lbs is not the same as getting back up to 345. Cut yourself some slack here and give yourself some credit!