Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Melynpo

Vitamins and Supplements

8 posts in this topic

HI all...

I was sleeved on 5/30/17 and have been only taking One A Day as my multivitamin. Prior to surgery, I was getting prepared looking at calcium, b12, iron etc. I took a picture of everything that I was going to buy and my nutritionist said all I needed was a complete multivitamin that has 100% of a daily amount of thiamin, niacin, riboflavin and iron, One a Day complete has all of these so I have taking one a day since the day after surgery.

Am I taking enough vitamins/supplements? 

I have read that some others that were sleeved are taking, biotin, vitamin D, calcium, cologen, B12.

What do you all take? What are your suggestion?

Thanks for your help!

I wouldn't be worrying at this point in time if you are following your surgeon's plan for vitamins....note I said surgeon's plan....not your nutritionist's plan. You should be due for bloods to be taken for your three month checkup. If you have them done before your checkup then your surgeon can tweak anything that needs tweaking.

Personally I only take what my surgeon has told me I need to take. This has been determined over time by blood tests as I do have some deficiencies. I do take biotin as an extra, but that is to help with hair loss. I also take Omega 3 plus a probiotic, but these are optional extras that I've taken for years, and not to do with WLS at all.

BurgundyBoy likes this

15 hours ago, Aussie H said:

I wouldn't be worrying at this point in time if you are following your surgeon's plan for vitamins....note I said surgeon's plan....not your nutritionist's plan. You should be due for bloods to be taken for your three month checkup. If you have them done before your checkup then your surgeon can tweak anything that needs tweaking.

Personally I only take what my surgeon has told me I need to take. This has been determined over time by blood tests as I do have some deficiencies. I do take biotin as an extra, but that is to help with hair loss. I also take Omega 3 plus a probiotic, but these are optional extras that I've taken for years, and not to do with WLS at all.

Thank you Austin H!

Hi! I had VSG the day after you! Here's what I take:

2 multivitamins with iron (1 in the morning, 1 at night). I will do this for 1 year. Then I will take 1 daily for life.

100 mg of B1 daily (I will stop this after 3 months).

1000 mg subligual B12 once a week for life.

1200-1500 mg calcium citrate plus 1000 IU vitamin D spread throughout the day for life.

Additional 2000 IU vitamin D3 daily for life.

Iron (as ferrous sulfate) 325 mg daily until menopause.

BurgundyBoy likes this

20 hours ago, Gretta said:

Hi! I had VSG the day after you! Here's what I take:

2 multivitamins with iron (1 in the morning, 1 at night). I will do this for 1 year. Then I will take 1 daily for life.

100 mg of B1 daily (I will stop this after 3 months).

1000 mg subligual B12 once a week for life.

1200-1500 mg calcium citrate plus 1000 IU vitamin D spread throughout the day for life.

Additional 2000 IU vitamin D3 daily for life.

Iron (as ferrous sulfate) 325 mg daily until menopause.

O my! You read everyone saying different things. Which is the best way!

16 minutes ago, Melynpo said:

Would do what your team suggests while you digest all these different recommendations. That is the strength and the weakness of polling us random people on the internet... At a minimum get your recommended daily intakes... 

1 hour ago, Melynpo said:

All I'll say is my surgeon created the Thinner Times Forum. I trust his recommendations.;)

Wow! I had surgery last Wednesday (9/13/17) and I am taking Liquid Centrum multi vitamin, liquid iron, an antibiotic (preventative) and will add to that in 2 weeks to include a Vitamin B Complex, Calcium Citrate, Biotin and Vitamin D3!!!  So far the absolute WORST part of all of this is having to ingest crushed pills (BITTER) every morning. I thankfully have no pain for some reason and the slow return to a normal diet does not bother me like I thought it would. Anyway, yea, if they only want you to take one daily vitamin, consider yourself lucky!