Emmajsmom

Weight Loss Prior to Surgery

Hi Everyone-

I have started my journey and am debating between Sleeve Gastrectomy and Gastric Bypass.  Regardless of which surgery I chose I need to lose 16 pounds prior to surgery.  Not a huge amount, but enough.  Does anyone have any great recommendations or meal plans they followed to get down to a goal weight prior to surgery.  

I know I need to be more active than what I am currently doing.  I want to lose this soon so that I can have my surgery done before the end of the year so I don't hit 2 deductibles.

I am newer to this forum so I appreciate anything!  

Thanks!

Welcome! Eating low carb is the only thing that has ever really worked for me, and it's good practice for the post-op plan.

Edited by Gretta

1 hour ago, Emmajsmom said:

Hi Everyone-

I have started my journey and am debating between Sleeve Gastrectomy and Gastric Bypass.  Regardless of which surgery I chose I need to lose 16 pounds prior to surgery.  Not a huge amount, but enough.  Does anyone have any great recommendations or meal plans they followed to get down to a goal weight prior to surgery.  

I know I need to be more active than what I am currently doing.  I want to lose this soon so that I can have my surgery done before the end of the year so I don't hit 2 deductibles.

I am newer to this forum so I appreciate anything!  

Thanks!

Welcome! I second @Gretta's advice, think low-carb for now, since that way of eating is the most compatible to successfully keeping weight off post-surgery. If you need to get your 16 lbs off quickly, then for the time being, drop all liquids except water or flavored water etc., and get as much in as you can in a day. Like, at least 2 or 3 liters. I can easily drink over a gallon a day right now, 1L water bottle refilled. Keep your carbs under 30g a day, and you'll have to read the labels for everything. Use MyFitnessPal app on your smartphone to track your totals. No need to pay for premium, just turn the phone sideways and it will show you your totals for the day. 

Google for some guides to low-carb eating if you're not familiar with it. Keeping your intake around 30g or less and keeping yourself flushed with plenty of water will generally net you a 2-3 lb loss per week. Keep in mind though, eating low-carb to "lose" is a lot more restrictive than eating to "maintain". Some days you will just have to white-knuckle your way through it. And last, don't forget that your head and "head hunger" is usually the biggest issue with our overweight. 

The low carb diet that worked best for me, and is great practice for life after weight loss surgery, is exactly as MichaelA describes it and basing your meals on moderate amounts of lean protein (chicken, turkey, fish, non fat dairy, etc).

Pre-op I used meal replacement shakes twice a day with a low carb meal in the evening. I actually lost the bulk of my excess weight prior to my RNY. In my case that didn't cause any issues as my surgery was revisional. The surgeon was actually delighted because that level of weightloss made his job significantly easier on the day. The extent of my surgery meant I was expected to have a longer hospital stay than usual, but instead I had a shorter than usual stay.

I'm another low carb advocate.  No bread, crackers, cereals, rice, pasta etc.

Lean protein, vegetables, salads (easy on the dressing) and some fruit.  And try to walk as much as you can.  The better shape you're in prior to surgery, the easier your recovery will be.

Think about how you eat - how much emotional eating is going on? How much snacking after dinner or during the day? What are the triggers for these? 

Surgery will make your stomach smaller. It won't change your good or bad habits. Having the surgery is an opportunity to change the habits that sabotage your health. Some have to do with the volume of what you eat. Some bad habits have to do with when and why you eat. So if your habit was to eat a cookie or something caloric when challenged in life... eat something else like a piece of jerky, or some celery or something where you can still "reward" yourself but not eat so many calories, and not carbos.

There is an article in today's New York Times Science section on the causes for obesity... makes a good argument for it being an hormonal disorder aided and abetted by carbos. If this has traction for you... when you do feel a trigger for eating, eat protein not carbos!

Low carb, higher protein, portion control, and lots of water...I'm mirroring what everyone else has said above. I ate 3 low carb meals a day (usually 20-30g carbs or less...mostly Atkins meals) and every evening I ate a cucumber for a snack. I lost 34 pounds in 7 weeks. If you eat a lot of carbs now, you will go through carb withdrawal. Mine only lasted about a week, and a lot of white knuckling it. Once you're past that, you shouldn't crave carbs much anymore. Give up any sodas (even diet) now! Liquid calories and carbonation are no no's after surgery. 

Thank you!!! Keep the tips coming ;)... I've eliminated all drinks minus my must have black coffee and only water.

I will be working on the low carb plan.  

I'm in a similar place! No one has told me I need to lose a certain number of pounds before surgery, but I figure, there's no excuse not to start now in eliminating bad habits and eating the right things. I've lost 10 pounds in 3-4 weeks. You can totally do this. 

I agree with the others that low carb is the best way - and the carbs you do have should be complex carbohydrates: fruit, whole grains. If it's possible, get everything out of the house that is tempting or doesn't fit within your plan. I realize if you have a family that's easier said than done, but do what you can. I live alone, so I only have things in my house I'm allowed to eat. 

Track everything you eat - I love myfitnesspal, there's an app or you can use the website. Do you like to cook? I am totally in love with this cookbook, which is relatively cheap on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooking-that-Counts-500-Calorie-Deliciously/dp/0848749502

It's not specifically low carb, but they give you full meal ideas, and the recipes are really good. Plus everything has the calorie and nutritional profile laid out. Cannot give it enough love. 

I also think the key to exercise for me is finding something that feels more like fun, and less like exercising. I take water aerobics because I love being in the pool, and I don't get as hot and sweaty while still getting a pretty intense workout. Plus, way easier on my joints. Maybe for you its a Zumba dance class? Tennis lessons? Pure Barre? Kickboxing? Yoga? 

Good luck! :) 

Portion control!  In the six months prior to my surgery I lost about 60 pounds purely with portion control.  You mean a can of green beans isn't one portion?????

15 minutes ago, bcd said:

Portion control!  In the six months prior to my surgery I lost about 60 pounds purely with portion control.  You mean a can of green beans isn't one portion?????

My problem with portion control prior to surgery was that I regarded a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream to be a single serving.....:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

My problem with portion control prior to surgery was that I regarded a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream to be a single serving.....:rolleyes:

Oh boy, I can totally relate to that, @Res Ipsa

Just like everyone else, I say low carb...today is the first day I've eaten more than 16g carbs since surgery (I'm a week less than 3 months out). And that's because I actually ate some fruit today, lol. 2 ounces of strawberries hits the spot :) I basically did Atkins for my pre op diet and lost 34 pounds in 8 weeks eating 800 calories a day and less than 40g carbs. Once you get past the carb withdrawal, you really don't crave them much. Also...drink that water!!! It's so important! 

I also started following the post op instructions prior to surgery. No drinking with meals, 3 meals and one snack per day, 20 minutes to eat the meal, take small bites and chew them into mush before swallowing. It really helps to get yourself prepared before you have surgery. Good luck!!

10 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Yep, a few family members have said, "what about ice cream?!"  I told them that for the better part of my adulthood I've been consuming more than my share of ice cream whenever it's been around and so at this point, I've consumed at least what any normal person should be allotted in their lifetime.  I think I'm done.

9 hours ago, kayak19 said:

Yep, a few family members have said, "what about ice cream?!"  I told them that for the better part of my adulthood I've been consuming more than my share of ice cream whenever it's been around and so at this point, I've consumed at least what any normal person should be allotted in their lifetime.  I think I'm done.

Sadly, in the almost 10 years since my WLS, I have not been able to handle anything colder than room temperature which is just as well, Häagen-Dazs was a staple in in this house.

I make ice cream from over ripe bananas for my DH.  Simply peel and slice bananas, pop them on a tray and pop them in the freezer until frozen and then store in ziploc baggies.  When you're ready, throw some slices in a food processor for a few minutes until smooth.  

Yonanas make a machine specifically for the purpose but I'm done with fancy, single purpose kitchen gadgets so I use my food processor.  Here's the link the Yonanas recipe page:   http://yonanas.com/recipe_categories/banana-yonanas-recipes/

Nice idea, @cinwa . I've got a couple of dead bananas lying there right now.

Here is your diet, I have lost 87lbs - no surgery

Kill refined carbs, candy, anything white

Drink plenty of water and get plenty of sleep

You can eat something close to this every day...

2 eggs with broccoli/cauliflower, banana, lemon water

cheese stick for snack, watermelon

Spring mix salad with berries, olive oil vinaigrette

Apple with peanut butter afternoon snack

chicken, veggies, taco sauce, whole wheat taco boats for dinner, just keep it meat and veggies.

Edited by gtaman