Stephtay

Climb a mountain

24 posts in this topic

Has anyone pre or post-op done any mountain climbing? I'm thinking about joining a group to summit Kilimanjaro. 

21 minutes ago, Stephtay said:

Has anyone pre or post-op done any mountain climbing? I'm thinking about joining a group to summit Kilimanjaro. 

Hush your mouth. This is my five year plan. This is what I am researching and saving for...

http://www.tanzania-expeditions.com/marangu-route/

delilas likes this

3 minutes ago, Clickin said:

Hush your mouth. This is my five year plan. This is what I am researching and saving for...

You are the coolest ever! :)

I have four friends who've done it. Two of them multiple times and one was in her late 60's the last time she summit-ed! It seems like a serious challenge but also at least kinda fun. Anything in Nepal or Alaska sounds absolutely dreadful. And, I can't imagine I'd ever been in good enough shape to do any of those. 

Clickin likes this

4 minutes ago, Stephtay said:

You are the coolest ever! :)

I have four friends who've done it. Two of them multiple times and one was in her late 60's the last time she summit-ed! It seems like a serious challenge but also at least kinda fun. Anything in Nepal or Alaska sounds absolutely dreadful. And, I can't imagine I'd ever been in good enough shape to do any of those. 

Nepal is aMAAAAAzing - although I haven't summited anything, I've done parts of the Annapurna trail a couple of times. The base camp climbs aren't much harder than that, and the country itself, and also the trails, are gorgeous! If you're ever in Nepal, I've got a good guide I could hook you up with :) 

I have friends who've done Kilimanjaro, and claim that it's a bit of a slog, depending on conditions, but not very difficult, technically speaking. That would put you in a great neighborhood - some incredible safari destinations nearby.

Good for you on planning, this, ladies. What a cool goal.

Stephtay and Clickin like this

4 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Nepal is aMAAAAAzing - although I haven't summited anything, I've done parts of the Annapurna trail a couple of times. The base camp climbs aren't much harder than that, and the country itself, and also the trails, are gorgeous! If you're ever in Nepal, I've got a good guide I could hook you up with :) 

I have friends who've done Kilimanjaro, and claim that it's a bit of a slog, depending on conditions, but not very difficult, technically speaking. That would put you in a great neighborhood - some incredible safari destinations nearby.

Good for you on planning, this, ladies. What a cool goal.

And out the window goes any hope of being productive at work today! I now just want to think about Nepal and Tanzania! :D

Clickin and Jen581791 like this

I've been thinking about this ever since watching Casey Neistat's video about his climb. Normally I wouldn't think I'm one for hiking, but I think if I were to ever do it, Kilimanjaro would be the one, especially since porters must carry your items (it is an absolute requirement, they will not let you carry your own gear), it would probably be the best likelihood - for me at least! - of reaching the summit. Their easier route actually has you sleeping in huts, as well, rather than tents.

I think I'mma have to add this to my bucket list and something to train for. I dont think the distance is the tough part (from everywhere I've read, you barely average 2mph on the fastest days - once  you are doing higher altitudes, it is more commonly 1mph or less) - but I would have to trial a few times near here of hiking in high altitudes!

Clickin, Jen581791 and Stephtay like this

I'm thinking a TT Kilimanjaro gathering!!!

41 minutes ago, delilas said:

I've been thinking about this ever since watching Casey Neistat's video about his climb. Normally I wouldn't think I'm one for hiking, but I think if I were to ever do it, Kilimanjaro would be the one, especially since porters must carry your items (it is an absolute requirement, they will not let you carry your own gear), it would probably be the best likelihood - for me at least! - of reaching the summit. Their easier route actually has you sleeping in huts, as well, rather than tents.

I think I'mma have to add this to my bucket list and something to train for. I dont think the distance is the tough part (from everywhere I've read, you barely average 2mph on the fastest days - once  you are doing higher altitudes, it is more commonly 1mph or less) - but I would have to trial a few times near here of hiking in high altitudes!

Porters in Nepal, too :) Your own personal Sherpa! I'm afraid the fun might get sucked out of big hiking if I had to carry my own stuff... I even had a donkey and donkey minder to carry my stuff in Ethiopia! :lol:

TTF hiking adventure sounds pretty good to me.

delilas, Clickin and Stephtay like this

Here's my Nepal guide's website if you'd like to do some dreaming:

http://www.nepaladventureguide.com/custom

If you click through the photos, my hubby and I are in the last one.

Clickin and Stephtay like this

4 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Here's my Nepal guide's website if you'd like to do some dreaming:

http://www.nepaladventureguide.com/custom

If you click through the photos, my hubby and I are in the last one.

I clicked through and the last one for me is an image of the summit. No people in that shot! I want to see you in Nepal!

1 minute ago, Stephtay said:

I clicked through and the last one for me is an image of the summit. No people in that shot! I want to see you in Nepal!

Lol, I just followed the link and it looks like it appears in random order, as my picture came up first. I'm in the photo of two couples with a bunch of water bottles in front of them. I'm wearing a very dorky dark green hat. 

Here's me with my better half, my girlfriend, our guide and porters. And some lady in the background photobombing us. 

DSC_0123.jpg

Stephtay and Clickin like this

15 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Lol, I just followed the link and it looks like it appears in random order, as my picture came up first. I'm in the photo of two couples with a bunch of water bottles in front of them. I'm wearing a very dorky dark green hat. 

Here's me with my better half, my girlfriend, our guide and porters. And some lady in the background photobombing us. 

DSC_0123.jpg

I love this! Thank you! So very cool! This made my day!

My husband and I were photobombed on the subway to SF last weekend. Not nearly as great of a location but the woman managed to get her head right between ours. It was so funny!

Jen581791 likes this

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Stephtay said:

I love this! Thank you! So very cool! This made my day!

My husband and I were photobombed on the subway to SF last weekend. Not nearly as great of a location but the woman managed to get her head right between ours. It was so funny!

Was is accidental or on purpose??

There were some obnoxious people watching sunrise next to us on the vacation I just took - I made sure to get in at least a few of their pictures, making HORRIBLE faces. I will live on in their vacation photo album. Photobomb as punishment for antisocial behavior. Yes, I totally swear I'm a grown up.

Edited by Jen581791

It was on purpose! She did such a good job it almost looks staged. Hahahahahahahaha! Good for you! That is awesome! Revenge that lives on forever. I like your style!

I cropped the photo so you can see her well.

2017-07-25 10_25_40-(1) Steph Taylor.png

Jen581791 and Clickin like this

That's a good one! At least she's smiling :) 

Stephtay likes this

6 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Was is accidental or on purpose??

There were some obnoxious people watching sunrise next to us on the vacation I just took - I made sure to get in at least a few of their pictures, making HORRIBLE faces. I will live on in their vacation photo album. Photobomb as punishment for antisocial behavior. Yes, I totally swear I'm a grown up.

This is why you are my favorite. 

Jen581791 likes this

5 hours ago, Stephtay said:

It was on purpose! She did such a good job it almost looks staged. Hahahahahahahaha! Good for you! That is awesome! Revenge that lives on forever. I like your style!

I cropped the photo so you can see her well.

2017-07-25 10_25_40-(1) Steph Taylor.png

Sorry @Jen581791, I lied. This lady is my favorite!!! I'm kind of in love with her. 

Jen581791 likes this

On 7/24/2017 at 3:32 PM, Clickin said:

@Stephtay and @Clickin

I've driven in front of Kilimanjaro. Does that make me cool? Not that I'm desperate to be cool or anything. *kicking rocks*

I have two friends in their 60's who have climbed Kilimanjaro. One woman is super fit and the other woman just went at her own pace. They both summited and rave about the experience. 

I highly recommend Tanzania. My husband and I spent part of our honeymoon there and we had the time of our lives. We did a budget tent sort of trip and it was extraordinary. Keep in mind, my husband is not the camping type and he loved the experience. 

In short, DO IT! Life is too short not to see the world and accomplish new challenges. We wasted too much time being sedentary. It's time to get movin'! I'm saying as much to myself as to you ladies. :wub: 

Clickin and Jen581791 like this

On 7/24/2017 at 3:09 PM, Stephtay said:

Kilimanjaro is definitely doable. Lower part of Kilimanjaro not very hard. Upper part more, um, stimulating. Having said that you can do it with a bit of perseverance. Ditto for Mt. Kenya (Meru) in Kenya, which is much less travelled.  Nepal is gorgeous and the walking just outside of Kathmandu (its ring of "hills") is not as challenging as Annapurna. Important to get out of Kathmandu though (very different than when first there 30 years ago).

Suggest you consider Ecuador as well. Easy to get to, inexpensive, and drop dead scenery, especially north and south of Quito. Plus very friendly people, pretty intact ecology which is amongst the most diverse in the world, and the culture is relatively familiar/accessible for people from the US. (Ecuador never went through the Protestant Reformation but had the pleasures of the Inquisition, so we are talking recent stuff here). Cotopaxi is really wild, and high enough that walking on the plains with the boulders thrown up by the volcano is very slow! Gosh this is getting my juices going to go back. What a lovely place. 

If you do any of these be mindful of altitude sickness. It is not supposed to be a problem at 12-13,000 feet but I have always gotten a mild case in Quito (11,000). 

If you have a few extra $$ after your climb: In Tanzania you can go up to Kilimanjaro, then west to Safari in the dry, and then go to Zanzibar to get wet and beach it. Ditto Ecuador as the Pacific coast is superb and undiscovered. Nepal... would just go to Thailand or Vietnam afterwards to get the beaches there. 

Jen581791 and Stephtay like this

4 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Suggest you consider Ecuador as well.

It's definitely on my list! 

How many passports have you worn out, BB?

BurgundyBoy and Stephtay like this

38 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

It's definitely on my list! 

How many passports have you worn out, BB?

Um, rather a lot. Many added pages in my current one and the computers can't read it anymore in the Fast Track lanes. I smile a lot at customs officials when I cross borders now. Only good thing is that my head shot still looks remotely like me, no biometric data on my former body size is included. I mean, so far as I know as to the data they collect... Wow, that's it! we can all ditch our former personas with WLS! No one would believe these transmogrifications!!

Oh, right, we have those minor things like fingerprints and retinal patterns... Oh well...

Stephtay and Jen581791 like this

14 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Kilimanjaro is definitely doable. Lower part of Kilimanjaro not very hard. Upper part more, um, stimulating. Having said that you can do it with a bit of perseverance. Ditto for Mt. Kenya (Meru) in Kenya, which is much less travelled.  Nepal is gorgeous and the walking just outside of Kathmandu (its ring of "hills") is not as challenging as Annapurna. Important to get out of Kathmandu though (very different than when first there 30 years ago).

Suggest you consider Ecuador as well. Easy to get to, inexpensive, and drop dead scenery, especially north and south of Quito. Plus very friendly people, pretty intact ecology which is amongst the most diverse in the world, and the culture is relatively familiar/accessible for people from the US. (Ecuador never went through the Protestant Reformation but had the pleasures of the Inquisition, so we are talking recent stuff here). Cotopaxi is really wild, and high enough that walking on the plains with the boulders thrown up by the volcano is very slow! Gosh this is getting my juices going to go back. What a lovely place. 

If you do any of these be mindful of altitude sickness. It is not supposed to be a problem at 12-13,000 feet but I have always gotten a mild case in Quito (11,000). 

If you have a few extra $$ after your climb: In Tanzania you can go up to Kilimanjaro, then west to Safari in the dry, and then go to Zanzibar to get wet and beach it. Ditto Ecuador as the Pacific coast is superb and undiscovered. Nepal... would just go to Thailand or Vietnam afterwards to get the beaches there. 

Fantastic advice and suggestions - thank you!

My nephew was here for a few days. He weighs about 60 pounds. I gave him a piggy back ride up the the hill by my house to the playground. It's probably .4 miles to the playground and I'm guessing 250 foot vertical climb. I was totally out of breath by the time we made it to the the top. 1) I'm happy to know Kilimanjaro requires the use of porters. 2) It's time I start training for this mountain climb!

Jen581791 and Clickin like this

Reminds me of that old Country song by Alabama - " Ya see that Mountain over there, one of these days I'm gonna climb that Mountain" 

Stephtay likes this