swanfray

Vitamins forever?

11 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if the post op care regarding vitamins is the same as rny. Is it a long time but not permanent worry or do you have to take vitamins permanently? Do you risk complications regarding vitamins as much as gastric bypass because of restriction? How far along are you post op and what's your everyday vitamin intake? Thanks :) 

There are no sure answers at this point as to time, as I understand it the vertical sleeve is "too young" a procedure for a definitive answer. I was told it is permanent.

You are right to point out that the risks are less without the malaborption of the RNY. However, many obese people have low-level deficiencies to start, and some surgical teams want you on the vitamins before surgery. Mine did. 

Vitamin B12 needs something called intrinsic factor which is made by the wall of the stomach to be absorbed. One area where the cells that make intrinsic factor is the fundus, or top of the stomach, and that gets removed with VSG. Parietal cells are (according to the internet) found in the body of the stomach too, so after you have 80% whacked out there should be some cells left that make intrinsic factor. I think anemia due to low iron, low B12, low folate has been found after VSG.

Members of my surgical team (we have a lovely relationship, they ) smiled at me and said, when I asked them the same question, the equivalent of: "Just take the vitamins, okay? You don't want to be the person who proves that you need to take them or else bad things happen at the 6 year mark." :D

And to answer your last question, I am using the Bariatric Advantage ones, two a day... I probably remember 5 days out of 7 unless I put them next to my coffee making area in the kitchen. Since my heart would stop beating without the coffee I see them every morning and am sure to take them. At my age (62) I should be taking them every day anyhow, so I see this as an overall healthy behavior plus. 

CoTN and swanfray like this

I take 2 multivitamins with iron (1 in the morning, 1 at night). I will do this for 1 year. Then I will take 1 daily for life.

100 mg of B1 daily (I will stop this after 3 months).

1000 mg subligual B12 once a week for life.

1200-1500 mg calcium citrate plus 1000 IU vitamin D spread throughout the day for life.

Additional 2000 IU vitamin D3 daily for life.

Iron (as ferrous sulfate) 325 mg daily until menopause.

swanfray and BurgundyBoy like this

Thanks you two. I was just curious because with vsg I assumed vitamins would eventually not be an issue since it's only restrictive and you can eat normal portions of food eventually

3 hours ago, swanfray said:

Thanks you two. I was just curious because with vsg I assumed vitamins would eventually not be an issue since it's only restrictive and you can eat normal portions of food eventually

Well, "normal" for a successful sleever anyways. If you do "normal" to mean the way you ate pre-op, then, I fear your surgery will be for naught... :-)

BurgundyBoy, Stephtay and Jen581791 like this

2 hours ago, Michael_A said:

Well, "normal" for a successful sleever anyways. If you do "normal" to mean the way you ate pre-op, then, I fear your surgery will be for naught... :-)

Oh, course not. I was even malnourished pre-op and had to change my diet. What I'm referring to is that eventually your smaller stomach can handle more food and vsg doesn't include malabsorption.

BurgundyBoy likes this

While it is true that your smaller stomach will eventually be able to handle more food, it will never be as big as a "normal" person's stomach, so therefore you should never be able to eat as much as a "normal" person. Whether you (and the "normal" person) require vitamin supplements will depend on what you eat, and not just how much you eat. My surgeon recommended taking vitamin supplements including iron and calcium for the rest of our lives. I take a daily dose (3 capsules) of Bariatric Advantage Ultra Multi with Iron, but like Burgundy Boy, I probably remember to take them 5 out of 7 days. I also try to take Calcium Citrate, but I probably only remember 2 out of 7 days. You are not suppose to take the Calcium Citrate within a couple hours of taking iron, so unfortunately I more easily forget the Calcium!!

BurgundyBoy likes this

And there is this calcium thread (which prompted me to check and I found out had calcium carbonate, not citrate!) started by @Gretta

Posted July 17 · Report post

I need calcium recommendations. I've hated everything I've tried. I doubt I could swallow a calcium tablet right now. I've been trying a bunch of chewable tablets. I really don't like them. Anybody have an individually wrapped chewy one you like or a liquid? I need one with 1200-1500 mg of calcium citrate plus 1000 IU of Vitamin D. Any suggestions?

I take two multis a day. One in the morning and one at night. I'm a vegetarian so I take a sublingual b-12 about every other day. I have two calcium chews a day. Initially post-op I needed a Vitamin A but my labs haven't called for it since year one post-op. 

Thanks everyone :rolleyes:

20 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

I need calcium recommendations. I've hated everything I've tried. I doubt I could swallow a calcium tablet right now. I've been trying a bunch of chewable tablets. I really don't like them. Anybody have an individually wrapped chewy one you like or a liquid? I need one with 1200-1500 mg of calcium citrate plus 1000 IU of Vitamin D. Any suggestions?

You could do a lot worse than UpCalD powder.  Each scoop or sachet provides 500mg of calcium citrate plus 500IU of Vitamin D3 (comes in a tub or single serve sachets.  It's unflavoured so you can add it to any drink or yogurt etc.  I have a friend who just dumps a serving in his mouth and washes it down with a drink.

I add mine to my Crystal Light or like.