Bkthinner

Hello from Pre-op Newbie

19 posts in this topic

I have just begun my weight loss journey. My insurance requires 6 months of a physician supervised weight loss program, so I am several months away from surgery.

Welcome! You've come to the right place for information and support!

Sally L and Trish1967 like this

Welcome aboard! :)

You wont find a better group of people for information and support!

Trish1967 and Sally L like this

Welcome. We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey. :)

Sally L, Bkthinner and Trish1967 like this

Welcome to Thinner Times!

Trish1967, Sally L and Bkthinner like this

Welcome!!

Bkthinner, Trish1967 and Sally L like this

Welcome!! :) 

Sally L likes this

On 7/21/2017 at 3:16 AM, Bkthinner said:

I have just begun my weight loss journey. My insurance requires 6 months of a physician supervised weight loss program, so I am several months away from surgery.

Hi BK - make sure you document your weights as you move through the 6 months of supervision, as well as the dates of the supervisory meetings, and suggest you get in writing everything your insurance plan needs to have done for approval. You do not want to find out 6 months from now that you needed something done early on and have a delay. I have excellent insurance and my approval was straightforward, but not everyone has such as good journey. 

@Michael_A is just finishing or has finished his 6 months of weight loss... you might read some of his lucid, wry, helpful and insightful postings to get an head's up on this. He has lost a lot of weight, though not having had his surgery yet, and you may find it of interest. 

Good luck and nice to meet you!

Sally L and Michael_A like this

@Michael_A, I would love to hear how you are losing weight pre-surgery!

Thanks BurgandyBoy for the good advice regarding documenting my pre-op diet. Thankfully, my bariatric center is very organized and has done a lot of work for me. They created a checklist of all my insurance requirements so it is easy to track where I am in the process.

Jen581791 and Sally L like this

1 minute ago, Bkthinner said:

@Michael_A, I would love to hear how you are losing weight pre-surgery!

Thanks BurgandyBoy for the good advice regarding documenting my pre-op diet. Thankfully, my bariatric center is very organized and has done a lot of work for me. They created a checklist of all my insurance requirements so it is easy to track where I am in the process.

I'll just get this out of the way first:  the eating plan I was supposed to be on, I did follow closely, but it definitely took me small steps to give up the things I wasn't supposed to be eating.

I was on a liver shrinking diet, which was basically lean meats only and veggies, and no dairy. This was my "6-month pre-op" program or diet. I wasn't supposed to have coffee either, but it took me probably 2 months to slowly wean myself of that. Honestly I just wasn't in a huge hurry. for that I knew I would do it, but I also knew it wasn't involved with my weight loss, so it wasn't as big a deal. I was used to having bacon most mornings, and it took me a few weeks to cut myself back to only a few pieces, and then to switch to turkey sausage.

Most of us here are "diet experts" to some extent I think. And one thing I know about myself is that I cannot handle very much change at one time, diet-wise, or I will get burnt out quickly and fail. Most people are like that I think, that's why big, sweeping changes to the diet all at once generally DO end in failure; we just can't stay focused on so many changes for very long. I digress...

Lean meats and veggies, and then the last couple months started replacing a meal with a protein shake. Then alternating that with a day of two shakes and only one meal. I drink at least a gallon of water a day, one liter at a time in a Camelbak Eddy bottle. They are awesome. I usually flavor the water with water-enhancing drops, like Crystal Light, etc. I'm taking the next few days to transition to liquids. I managed all liquids today (getting at least 3 shakes in a day). Monday is my "no going back" day. If I do eat something the next few days, it will be something basic like some chicken breast or turkey.

Anyways that's me. YMMV. 

Best of luck to you!

Welcome!

Michael has done wonderful!  

Many of us have had to do the 6 month supervised diet and many are different..mine, I couldn't gain weight.  Use this time to gradually make changes that will make you successful in the long term.  Make changes that become a lifestyle change and not just a "diet".  For me it was giving up Diet Pepsi and learning not to guzzle down my beverage at a meal..  one of the hardest things for me was not drinking 30 minutes before or after eating..but I've learned to use that to my advantage now.  If I "think" I'm hungry, I drink and wait the 30 minutes, usually cures my hunger...

I am having trouble with not drinking before, during and after a meal too. I am also eating with a baby spoon to get used to small bites.

MelissaDash, Sally L and Jen581791 like this

I know this long process. I have been at it since beginning of Feb.  I am 11 days pre-op!  Try not to get discouraged. It'll be here before you know it!

Jen581791, MelissaDash and Sally L like this

8 hours ago, Bkthinner said:

I am having trouble with not drinking before, during and after a meal too. I am also eating with a baby spoon to get used to small bites.

Best advice I can give on the drinking is to write yourself a schedule laying out the amount and times for drinking (I actually wrote mine down) and try to make sure you've got a drink in front of you at all times (that's where something like a Blender Bottle or a CamelBak comes in handy). 

I never used a baby spoon but I did change to using my left hand for my fork/spoon.  That slowed me up considerably.

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

This quote is so wonderful I had to repeat it on my response. I have just finished my 6 months pre-op diet. I didn't do too well but I think it was because I was not truly watching what I ate. I have my surgery September 11 and this seemed to push me in gear to watch calories and get ready for surgery. The time did not fly for me at first, but as time marched on, it did. Keep up the good work.

Hi sally, welcome!!

Welcome!! I, too, have just started 6mo med supervision.  What's working for me right now is tracking my calories in myfitnesspal app. I've lost 3lbs since July 31.  All my doc wanted me to do this first month was to get used to tracking what I eat. That keeps me in check lol....that and the fact of how badly I want this surgery. Good luck to you in your new journey!!

Bkthinner and NerdyLady like this

I am amazed at how different each clinic's prescribed "diet" is like. The commonality seems to be grams of protein and ounces of water. However, some prescribe 4-5 small meals, protein shakes, etc. My office calls for 3 meals and NO snacks.

Once we started the pureed stage, my programme called for 4 "meals" and 3 snacks of 4oz of protein shakes a day.