Gretta

Calcium recommendations?

35 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, CurvyMermaid said:

Thanks @BurgundyBoy and @cinwa for the reports - my first response was to search the literature for studies on sleevers as well.  I plan to add this to my list of requested tests when I have my post-op appointment with my new PCP.

At my surgeon's office, when I asked about it, they said it was not one of the tests that they currently require/recommend, but that they are getting more requests for it and anticipate that it will be a part of the process at some point, probably waiting for insurance coverages to catch up with the best practices.  I'm going to have the report sent to them as well.  My PCP ordered it for me under the diagnosis code of perimenopausal disorder.

3 hours ago, cinwa said:

I'm glad to hear that kayak.

But please, make sure you continue to have regular bone scans.

This is my story:  

Thank you - I will.  I'm very concerned about this as I also take medication for hypothyroidism.  I'm so thankful it was discussed here otherwise I'd never have known.  I know that Calcium Citrate is the standard for WLS patients post op and I plan to take it diligently, but honestly I know it is not a supplement my naturopath (my main dr) would ever recommend.  I'm thinking of doing his recommendation as well as the citrate from now until my next scan in a year or so.   I'm due to see him in a few weeks for the first time post op.  If he says anything interesting, I'll share it here.

@cinwa your post above is from 2015.  Do you mind me asking if you've had any scans or other feedback since then to know if the modifications you've made to your exercise plan made the difference you were seeking?

On 7/17/2017 at 9:52 PM, Gretta said:

I need calcium recommendations. I've hated everything I've tried. I doubt I could swallow a calcium tablet right now. I've been trying a bunch of chewable tablets. I really don't like them. Anybody have an individually wrapped chewy one you like or a liquid? I need one with 1200-1500 mg of calcium citrate plus 1000 IU of Vitamin D. Any suggestions?

I just bought Wellesse Liquid Calcium Citrate. I haven't tried it yet, so I can't vouch for the taste. However, i do take their liquid multivitamin and it goes down quite easily. I'm a fan of liquid vitamins. One less pill I have to swallow. 

Wellesse Calcium & Vitamin D3, 1000mg, Natural Citrus Flavor, 16-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G7R2NO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_RdCNoq7Uwc67o

Gretta likes this

On 7/20/2017 at 6:24 PM, delilas said:

Turns out I'm deficient in Vitamin D, so the bariatric office sent in an rx for me for 10k a day and told me to start calcium while I was at it - I remembered this thread and went scouring through the vitamin wall at my store. No idea if these will help in your search, but I thought I'd mention them for posterity!

This one is liquid - either strawberry or blueberry flavored. Company is Solgar. 

WE8w1hW.png

1ZnzF4V.png

Guess my only concern would be the magnesium, as you'd need to take a double dose to hit the calcium requirements - but its actually pretty hard to overdose on magnesium as long as your kidneys are okay. 

Also found these chewies that have elemental calcium in them...my nutritionist said elemental was better than carbonate, but I'm not sure if yours would be cool with it, of course. 

IdKnocz.jpg

Surprisingly hard to find citrate - my store has 7 different vitamin brands and all but two were carbonate. Sheesh. :huh:

Just my two cents. Those Citracal gummies are revolting. If you love sweets, then these may be for you. 

I wish postage weren't so expensive, otherwise we could all do supplement swaps. Yesterday, I gave away a bunch of supplements and Gas X pills that didn't work for me. 

Love from your friend,

Grumpy Pants 

Jen581791 and Res Ipsa like this

On 7/21/2017 at 9:18 PM, Jen581791 said:

I was just at CVS, and looked through the calcium. Some don't say what they are, so probably are carbonate. Most just say carbonate. The few that were citrate were in delicious little chews which have too much sugar for me. There were giant horse pills, but ew, I hate those. 

To complicate matters, I will be moving next month to a less-well-stocked-pharmacy type of place with different brand availability (Oman), so will have to search it all out again :unsure: Dang it. Maybe I can freebase powdered milk or something.

I'll come visit you with two suitcases loaded up with supplements, shakes and bars. :D

Gretta, Jen581791 and Res Ipsa like this

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for your help. Man, I have to take a lot of calcium! Since I bought so many different kinds, for now what I'm taking daily is:

1 Celebrate Calcium Citrate Soft Chew, 500 mg, Chocolate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P1UARNY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_x6lFzbEV9PNM9 Not terrible. I'll probably try a new flavor when I reorder.

1 Celebrate Calcium Citrate Plus 500 mg Chewable Orange Burst https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQ0BPYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_R7lFzb8AWYT6R I hate these & won't reorder when they're gone.

1 Citracal Petites 200 mg https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043ZLTT4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_F9lFzbWTQ8A1H These go down so easily. I'd reorder them.

Edited by Gretta
NerdyLady likes this

On 7/21/2017 at 9:26 PM, kayak19 said:

These just arrived in the mail; despite the size information listed on the site, they are massive.  I'd have to cut them into quarters to take them.  Probably not going to work.

25 minutes ago, kayak19 said:

These just arrived in the mail; despite the size information listed on the site, they are massive.  I'd have to cut them into quarters to take them.  Probably not going to work.

Ugh. Sorry.

kayak19 likes this

1 hour ago, kayak19 said:

Write a review that just states "LIARS!!" :)

kayak19 likes this

2 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

I'll come visit you with two suitcases loaded up with supplements, shakes and bars. :D

I'll put you up in Oman if you fly me in some supplements! You can be my vitamin mule. 

NerdyLady and Res Ipsa like this