Gretta

Calcium recommendations?

I need calcium recommendations. I've hated everything I've tried. I doubt I could swallow a calcium tablet right now. I've been trying a bunch of chewable tablets. I really don't like them. Anybody have an individually wrapped chewy one you like or a liquid? I need one with 1200-1500 mg of calcium citrate plus 1000 IU of Vitamin D. Any suggestions?

Can't help you with suggestions @Gretta as we have different ones over here, and very few citrate I might add. You don't need to get the D3 in the same supplement though. I take my D3 separately, but then I've been forced to supplement that for years due to pre-op deficit.

I'm required to take the calcium citrate in 3 doses of 500 mg each spread out throughout the day.  Is all at once an option for yours?  Wondering if there is a cap on how much calcium can be processed at one time.

I can spread it out. It's such a pain, though, because each time I take it, I have to wait 2 hours to take anything else (since it can hinder absorption of things like iron).

3 hours ago, kayak19 said:

I'm required to take the calcium citrate in 3 doses of 500 mg each spread out throughout the day.  Is all at once an option for yours?  Wondering if there is a cap on how much calcium can be processed at one time.

Mine are 1100mg tablets and I've been told just one a day... all in one hit. Makes it easier that way as well. I don't take iron supplements, and my multivitamin is iron free, so no problems taking it in the morning with all the other stuff I take.

For the first year, I found UpCalD Calcium + Vit. D3 powder to be the easiest way of getting my calcium down. 

It's a powder that dissolves well in cold and warm/hot drinks and it has no flavour.  I liked to dump the powder into a spoon of yogurt - I have a friend who just tips the contents of a sachet into his mouth and washes it down with a bit of water.  

This is their website although if you do a search, you might get a better deal (I bought mine off of Amazon).  http://globalhp.com/index.php/shop/powdered-calcium-citrate-vitamin-d3/

11 hours ago, Gretta said:

I can spread it out. It's such a pain, though, because each time I take it, I have to wait 2 hours to take anything else (since it can hinder absorption of things like iron).

Unless your labs results specify this, I don't know if it's necessary. My dr said with a sleeve I really only need two multis a day and one - two calcium chews. I take the Bariatric Advantage chewables. I like them. So does my husband. When we were on vacation in Paris I put a bunch in a bowl on the coffee table to remind myself to take them. One day, I came back to the apartment and they were all gone. He thought they were "the French version of starbursts". 

I second the Bariatric Advantage chews, my favorite are chocolate and strawberry.  I did find a Calcium Citrate + D Petite tablet at Sam's club that I am easily able to swallow now.  I take it in the evening by itself and 2 of the chews mid-morning.  Some surgeons don't have their sleevers take as many vitamins as we don't have the malabsorption issues that bypass does.  Mine however, does have me take a multi-vitamin, B12 sublingual, and calcium.  There are a lot of women who didn't have WLS who take calcium supplements so for me it may be an age-related thing. 

*EDIT* Caltrate is not citrate! Buying new calcium* 

I take caltrate chewables / they taste kind of like sweet tarts except not tart. They taste all right and have vitamin D as well. I take 2 per day.

I tried citracal chews but they had too many carbs/sugars and gave me a mini-dumping episode. Fobbed off on the MIL. IMG_2422.thumb.JPG.414627021088849c4ed8f17566f4eb62.JPG

Edited by Jen581791
Label reading fail

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

@Jen581791, do those say calcium citrate on the bottle anywhere? I was surprised how many citracal products were calcium carbonate when I read the bottles.

You're the best!

39 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I take caltrate chewables / they taste kind of like sweet tarts except not tart. They taste all right and have vitamin D as well. I take 2 per day.

I tried citracal chews but they had too many carbs/sugars and gave me a mini-dumping episode. Fobbed off on the MIL. 

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

@Jen581791, do those say calcium citrate on the bottle anywhere? I was surprised how many citracal products were calcium carbonate when I read the bottles.

You're the best!

Just a heads-up Jen.

Caltrate chewables are not calcium citrate.  Calcium citrate has superior bioavailability than calcium carbonate:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19437082

Carbonate is cheaper but it becomes relatively insoluble in neutral pH and requires stomach acid to be utilized. 

This thread is worth the read:  Are you sure you're getting all the calcium you think you are?

14 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Just a heads-up Jen.

Caltrate chewables are not calcium citrate.  Calcium citrate has superior bioavailability than calcium carbonate:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19437082

Carbonate is cheaper but it becomes relatively insoluble in neutral pH and requires stomach acid to be utilized. 

This thread is worth the read:  Are you sure you're getting all the calcium you think you are?

Dang it!!!! I shopped and shopped for it and I thought I'd read caltrate was citrate!!!! :angry::angry::angry:

It's not. It's carbonate. 

I totally read the heck out of the calcium thread. And yet I grabbed the....? Thank you @cinwa

Now I need to go buy new stupid calcium. 

New thread: 

Calcium recommendations? :lol:

Edited by Jen581791

When it comes to calcium, something important to bear in mind is that a lack of calcium does not comes not consuming enough in the diet or supplements.

Your body draws calcium from the bones to keep a constant level of calcium in the blood so do not rely on your blood work as an indication that you are taking and absorbing enough calcium.  If it needs it, it'll take it from your bones and you aren't likely to know a thing about it until osteopenia (lower than normal bone density) or worse, osteoporosis hits.

For that, you need a DEXA/DXA bone scan.  And that applies to the guys too.  Osteoporosis is not just for the ladies.

Turns out I'm deficient in Vitamin D, so the bariatric office sent in an rx for me for 10k a day and told me to start calcium while I was at it - I remembered this thread and went scouring through the vitamin wall at my store. No idea if these will help in your search, but I thought I'd mention them for posterity!

This one is liquid - either strawberry or blueberry flavored. Company is Solgar. 

WE8w1hW.png

1ZnzF4V.png

Guess my only concern would be the magnesium, as you'd need to take a double dose to hit the calcium requirements - but its actually pretty hard to overdose on magnesium as long as your kidneys are okay. 

Also found these chewies that have elemental calcium in them...my nutritionist said elemental was better than carbonate, but I'm not sure if yours would be cool with it, of course. 

IdKnocz.jpg

Surprisingly hard to find citrate - my store has 7 different vitamin brands and all but two were carbonate. Sheesh. :huh:

@Gretta Thanks for starting this thread. I was taking the Bariatric Advantage chews and my nutritionist asked me to switch to Adore. They are yummy chocolate disks and I was more than happy to take them. I  went to take a picture to post on this thread, only to find out that they aren't Calcium citrate. UGH. 

I'm going back to Bariatric Advantage. Thanks for the info, everyone. 

Edited by NerdyLady
In the words of Jen, f u autocorrect

I was just at CVS, and looked through the calcium. Some don't say what they are, so probably are carbonate. Most just say carbonate. The few that were citrate were in delicious little chews which have too much sugar for me. There were giant horse pills, but ew, I hate those. 

To complicate matters, I will be moving next month to a less-well-stocked-pharmacy type of place with different brand availability (Oman), so will have to search it all out again :unsure: Dang it. Maybe I can freebase powdered milk or something.

On 7/18/2017 at 2:28 PM, cinwa said:

When it comes to calcium, something important to bear in mind is that a lack of calcium does not comes not consuming enough in the diet or supplements.

Your body draws calcium from the bones to keep a constant level of calcium in the blood so do not rely on your blood work as an indication that you are taking and absorbing enough calcium.  If it needs it, it'll take it from your bones and you aren't likely to know a thing about it until osteopenia (lower than normal bone density) or worse, osteoporosis hits.

For that, you need a DEXA/DXA bone scan.  And that applies to the guys too.  Osteoporosis is not just for the ladies.

Thank you for this advice @cinwa.  My doctor was happy to provide a referral so now I'll have a baseline to compare in the future.  

22 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Maybe I can freebase powdered milk or something.

:D:D This was beautiful. 

21 hours ago, kayak19 said:

Thank you for this advice @cinwa.  My doctor was happy to provide a referral so now I'll have a baseline to compare in the future.  

I'm glad to hear that kayak.

But please, make sure you continue to have regular bone scans.

This is my story:  

On 7/21/2017 at 9:18 PM, Jen581791 said:

I was just at CVS, and looked through the calcium. Some don't say what they are, so probably are carbonate. Most just say carbonate. The few that were citrate were in delicious little chews which have too much sugar for me. There were giant horse pills, but ew, I hate those. 

To complicate matters, I will be moving next month to a less-well-stocked-pharmacy type of place with different brand availability (Oman), so will have to search it all out again :unsure: Dang it. Maybe I can freebase powdered milk or something.

Freebasing milk again?? And you don't even drink coffee!

Jen, Jen, Jen, .... someone who really knows how to abuse drugs is going to have to talk to you about WHAT you should be abusing.... you CUT things with milk. And your postings suggest a certain worldliness!! Or maybe... oh no.... is this as exciting as things get after WLS?? 

24 minutes ago, cinwa said:

I'm glad to hear that kayak.

But please, make sure you continue to have regular bone scans.

This is my story:  

Thanks for posting this @cinwa - good reminder. My father was astonished that he had osteoporosis and lost 4" of height. It really is an issue for everyone. I'm going to add this to my list of things to have done in the near future. 

So far as I can tell there isn't much in the literature about the magnitude of the risk for sleevers. Just as an example, this recent article (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27871812) only studied an handful of people, less than 2 dozen .... 

I found another :  Metabolic bone changes after bariatric surgery

There is 1 prospective study looking at bone loss findings after the sleeve gastrectomy (n ¼ 8) compared to gastric bypass (n ¼ 7). Bone mass measurements were made on the lumbar spine, femur, and distal radius, and the bone remodeling markers N-telopeptide and bone alkaline phosphatase, as well as vitamin D levels before and 12 months after surgery. Both procedures resulted in bone loss of both femur and lumbar spine that were less in the sleeve but not significantly different from the gastric bypass. N-telopeptide increased in both groups and bone alkaline phosphatase increased in the sleeve group only [50]. In a study by Gehrer et al. [51] comparing micronutrient deficiencies after sleeve gastrectomy (n ¼ 50) and gastric bypass (n ¼ 86), 23% of patients overall had vitamin D deficiency preoperatively. At 1 year, postoperative deficiencies of vitamin D and PTH were found to be significantly higher in gastric bypass than SG despite the presence of pre-existing vitamin D deficiency in both groups. Calcium levels remained normal in both groups, reinforcing the role of PTH and vitamin D levels as more sensitive markers for disorders of calcium metabolism after bariatric surgery [51].

Thanks @BurgundyBoy and @cinwa for the reports - my first response was to search the literature for studies on sleevers as well.  I plan to add this to my list of requested tests when I have my post-op appointment with my new PCP.

10 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Thanks @cinwa! The first author of this paper is my surgeon. :wub: