Melynpo

Discouraged...is this common?

32 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I need to hear from other post op vsg patients. I had my surgery on May 30'17 and have not lost any weight for the last 3 weeks. I have not gained just holding steady....what is going on?!?! 

May 1st I was at my highest weight since this journey began at 271lbs, the day of surgery I was 257 and now 240 for the last 3 weeks. I'm not eating bread or sweets, no junk food of any kind. I'm trying to eat and drink my protein and getting at least 38oz of water a day. I'm not at my goal of exercising 4 times a week but I am excercising.

Did / does anyone else have this problem, what do I do? 

NerdyLady likes this

What are you eating?  How many carbs and calories..

BurgundyBoy likes this

Im sorry you're experiencing frustration. Can you post what you eat in a typical day? 

I had surgery the day after you. My requirements are 60 grams of protein and 64 oz. of fluids daily. I've never noticed a stall, but I only weigh once a week. I don't eat carbs or sugar. I exercise often. 

My weekly losses:

Surgery weight 289

Week 1  -10.4
Week 2  -6.6
Week 3  -2.4     
Week 4   -4        
Week 5   -1.6   
Week 6   -4.4

Let's figure this out.

Res Ipsa, Stephtay and BurgundyBoy like this

Years of reading posts here at TT forum has taught me that everyone's weight loss surgery journey is different.

Some people have weight loss stalls (even long stalls) and some people do not. But the universal truth seems to be that if you really stick to the post op diet (based on lots of lean protein and low in carbs and calories), drink lots of no calorie liquids, take your vitamins, avoid all alcohol and smoking, and lead an active lifestyle, you will lose your excess weight. Weight loss stalls end, they really do.

So my suggestion is simple. Trust the surgery and just keep doing all the right things. It may be a slow process for you now, but you will get to your goal weight.

You probably should compare your post op diet plan to the one used at a major Boston hospital (for both bypass and sleeve patients) - link provided below - to make sure that your surgeon hasn't given you a potentially improper post op diet to follow:

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/~/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient Care Services/Departments and Services/Weight and Wellness Center/GBP Diet Manual12611.ashx

If you must compare your weight loss rate to other people here (and this is not wise since everyone's experiences are so different), in general men lose weight faster than women, people with a gastric bypass lose weight faster than people with a sleeve, and more overweight people lose weight faster than less overweight people.

We are here to support you. 

Trish13, Stephtay, Jen581791 and 1 other like this

Thank you all for your comments.

Typically in a day I eat, which I try to do every 2-3 hours

Breakfast is a protein shake

Snack Hummus and carrots

Lunch is normally around 2oz of protein and a cup of veggies

Snack is some type of fruit..grapes or strawberries.  Sometimes a partial protein bar

Apple if I go to the gym

Dinner will be some type of protein and veggies...or homemade chicken salad with about 3-4 wheat crackers

Fruit and crackers are really the only carbs I eat. I try not to eat the crackers more than 3 times a week because"carbs".

I only drink water in between meals and I have been getting down 33-40 oz a day

I have not eaten breads or sweets since my pre op diet started.

I'm building up my excercising...right now 2-3 times a week

When I went to my nutritionist on 6/26 she said that I am not eating enough calories and that I should be eating 1200-1300 calories a day, 75 carb grams, 60-80 protein grams and 30 fat grams a day.

NerdyLady, Stephtay and Jen581791 like this

16 minutes ago, Melynpo said:

Thank you all for your comments.

Typically in a day I eat, which I try to do every 2-3 hours

Breakfast is a protein shake

Snack Hummus and carrots

Lunch is normally around 2oz of protein and a cup of veggies

Snack is some type of fruit..grapes or strawberries.  Sometimes a partial protein bar

Apple if I go to the gym

Dinner will be some type of protein and veggies...or homemade chicken salad with about 3-4 wheat crackers

Fruit and crackers are really the only carbs I eat. I try not to eat the crackers more than 3 times a week because"carbs".

I only drink water in between meals and I have been getting down 33-40 oz a day

I have not eaten breads or sweets since my pre op diet started.

I'm building up my excercising...right now 2-3 times a week

When I went to my nutritionist on 6/26 she said that I am not eating enough calories and that I should be eating 1200-1300 calories a day, 75 carb grams, 60-80 protein grams and 30 fat grams a day.

What you are eating sounds reasonable to me. You might just be in a stall. I had 2 - 3 during my losing phase and they are so frustrating. 

Based on what your nutritionist said, my guess is she is not a WLS nutritionist. You don't list your stats but I'm 5'8, in my late 40's and weigh 170-ish. If I ate 1200 calories a day for more than a couple of days. I would gain about a pound a week. And, I workout hard 5 - 6 times a week. Cross-training, running, hiking, pilates etc. 

If I were you I'd cut all carbs for a couple of days and see what that does. No crackers and no fruit. I'd also up the amount of water you are drinking for those days - just to see what happens. You don't say what you are doing to work out but mix it up. Our bodies quickly adapt to whatever exercise you are regularly doing so if you do something different, it might help shock your body into losing again. 

1 hour ago, Stephtay said:

What you are eating sounds reasonable to me. You might just be in a stall. I had 2 - 3 during my losing phase and they are so frustrating. 

Based on what your nutritionist said, my guess is she is not a WLS nutritionist. You don't list your stats but I'm 5'8, in my late 40's and weigh 170-ish. If I ate 1200 calories a day for more than a couple of days. I would gain about a pound a week. And, I workout hard 5 - 6 times a week. Cross-training, running, hiking, pilates etc. 

If I were you I'd cut all carbs for a couple of days and see what that does. No crackers and no fruit. I'd also up the amount of water you are drinking for those days - just to see what happens. You don't say what you are doing to work out but mix it up. Our bodies quickly adapt to whatever exercise you are regularly doing so if you do something different, it might help shock your body into losing again. 

I've had a 20 day stall, a 12 day stall and am on day 21 of a third stall (and only 4 months out of VSG). All I have now are long stalls with the loss of 6-7 pounds over a very short period between them. So my trajectory is really just a series of steps now. (Sigh). You sound like you are stalling. 

You don't list your protein intake. Are you getting 60-80 grams a day? It could be your protein is too low and your body is very, very reluctant to lose any weight. On the internet one reads about people  who up their protein intake and it leads to the end of a stall - noting that Hummos has less than 5 grams of protein in 100 grams, carrots have no protein to speak of, the fruit has none, and overall your intake sounds marginal for protein. In contrast to @Stephtay(I'm a 6'2" guy) if I ate only 1200 calories a day I would be in major trouble. On >1600 a day (lots of exercise, lots of muscle in me) I am still losing 10 lbs a month, 2.5 lbs a week, averaged across my stalls. Each of us is different and you have to figure out the Instruction Manual for yourself by experimenting a little bit. ^_^

In addition to the above, low protein is a major risk for hair loss at 3-6 months. 

Agree with Stephtay, suggest you cut your carbs, replace them with more protein, drink more fluids (you're way low), and mix up your exercise. I love fruit but in this rapid loss period I found I could not afford the carbs. Could you sip chicken broth during the day to get some protein and liquid without it being too much of a bother? Lots of ways to address this...

Jen581791, Stephtay and NerdyLady like this

I'd definitely cut out the crackers and fruit (especially grapes) to get the weight loss going. I also think your hummus/carrot snack doesn't contain enough protein. I'm flabbergasted at your nutitionist suggesting up to 1300 calories a day. My nutritionist says most sleevers where I am in the weight-loss phase are taking in around 800 calories (I can't seem to get above 700, but I'm trying). I likely won't be able to go over 1100 calories even when I'm in maintenance.

I had a gastric bypass, not the sleeve, but I have maintained my weight for last few years at about 2,000 calories per day.  When I was losing weight after my surgery I had about 800 to 1,000 calories per day. 

Jen581791, BurgundyBoy and Gretta like this

O wow! Thank you all for the helpful information. It makes me feel a little defeated because I have been trying to do things just right so the weight can come off and I feel like I have been shootin myself in the foot.

You live and now I have learned.

I will take you alls advise and cut the crackers and fruit out completely. Drink more water and excercise more and see what happens.

By the way, I am 5'3.5"...44yrs old. My highest weight thru this WLS  journey pre op was 271 which was May 1st 2017, after 2wk prep diet/ day of surgery May 30 2017 I weighed 257 and current weight for the past 3 weeks 240 lbs.

As far as excercise 2-3 times weekly, I do 30-35 min on treadmill with slight incline and then the stationary weights.

1 quick question, should I be eating every 2-3 hours???

Gretta and BurgundyBoy like this

Thank you Gretta, Stephtay, Res Ipsa and Burgundy Boy!!!:D 

Res Ipsa and Gretta like this

2 hours ago, Melynpo said:

It makes me feel a little defeated because I have been trying to do things just right so the weight can come off and I feel like I have been shootin myself in the foot.

One thing I've learned, is that many, but not all, nutritionists are not the best at giving advice for the post-WLS patient. I am completely NOT throwing rocks at yours. But if you read through this forum enough, you'll see a recurring theme is that the WLS patient really has to read between the lines a bit when getting nutritional advice from those not completely soaked in the lifestyle.

Folks like @Gretta that really know the nitty-gritty of the matter are awesome.

17 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

Folks like @Gretta that really know the nitty-gritty of the matter are awesome.

Aw, thanks, @Michael_A, you are too kind!

Michael_A and Trish13 like this

3 hours ago, Melynpo said:

Don't feel bad. We're all just doing our best & learning from each other. So glad you thought to ask. I'm excited for the great results that are right around the corner for you.

I'll have to pay attention to the length of time in between my eating. I just track everything on the MyFitnessPal app and make sure my protein, fluid, and calorie numbers look good. My nutritionist wants us to eat three meals a day with no snacking. But she also said, if your body is truly hungry, eat. I think she's worried that people who don't track their intake might graze all day and go way over what they should.

BurgundyBoy, Melynpo and Jen581791 like this

Great! I like the sound of 3 meals a day rather than every 2-3 hours. I feel like I'm eating too much. 

I will definitely download the app. The app my nutritionist to me about was Bariatastic but I didn't like it. I have tried Myfitnesspal previously, I will give it a try again.

Such great advice!!! Thank you Gretta

Gretta likes this

I use My Fitness Pal @Melynpo and quite like it.  It is very simple and easy to use to track intake.  I don't really use it to track water or exercise (other than what my Jawbone automatically syncs) but it has those capabilities as well. 

I second the comment by @Michael_A on nutritionists.  I have no post-surgery requirements for meeting with the nutritionist but I honestly wouldn't meet with the one at the Bariatric Center, which leaves me with no nutrient supervision (outside of @Gretta :P).  When I did the required pre-op appointments, the information provided by the Center's nutritionist was VERY dated and formulaic (she went through a packet and talked at me for an hour, highlighting all over it like my students do in their textbooks!).  I still don't have a clear idea if I am taking enough vitamins and supplements...back to the forum to do more reading!

Gretta, Melynpo, Kiplill and 3 others like this

Thank you CurvyMermaid!

I have post op appointments with my nutritionist every 3 month for 1 year. I'm so surprised by the information I am receiving here on the forum because it is so different from the information she has given me. Especially because she is the nutritionist for the Bariatric department and works directly with the Director of the department.

I'm just excited that I have found this forum and that there are individuals, who can contribute in knowledge to make my journey a success.

Kiplill, Gretta, Trish13 and 1 other like this

I'm a newbie too but I agree with the previous posts and the 3 meals.  I'm only allowed 3 meals a day.  No snacks.  Just the fluids in between(crystal lite occasionally a diet cranberry or low sodium fat free chicken broth/sugar free popsicles or jello). My "meals" by my own choice are still boring(I had 1/4c of southwest egg beaters for breakfast...lunch was 1 cup of progresso steak and Vege soup and dinner will probably be my old stand by of 1/4 c part skim ricotta mixed with steamed spinach and 2 tblsp of crushed tomatoes). I do use a protein powder mixed in to get my protein levels up.   I also try to do at least 2-3 miles a day at a walk/jog.  I'm 4 weeks out of a gastric bypass revision and down 27 pounds as of today.  My starting weight was 248.  I haven't hit a stall but I'm sure there's one on the horizon.  Hope my information helps you a bit too.   

It's normal to get impatient in the early days, the important thing is to stay on your plan. I have been for almost 4.5 years, I've lost 170 pounds with no regain, in fact I am down about 7 more pounds this year.

17 hours ago, Melynpo said:

O wow! Thank you all for the helpful information. It makes me feel a little defeated because I have been trying to do things just right so the weight can come off and I feel like I have been shootin myself in the foot.

You live and now I have learned.

I will take you alls advise and cut the crackers and fruit out completely. Drink more water and excercise more and see what happens.

By the way, I am 5'3.5"...44yrs old. My highest weight thru this WLS  journey pre op was 271 which was May 1st 2017, after 2wk prep diet/ day of surgery May 30 2017 I weighed 257 and current weight for the past 3 weeks 240 lbs.

As far as excercise 2-3 times weekly, I do 30-35 min on treadmill with slight incline and then the stationary weights.

Doubt there is just "the right way" - a lot of this is learning to adapt, to do what you can do without making yourself crazy. Having said that it is clear there are guiding principles which we must each adopt and go back to when our progress is stymied. As @tmcgee says, just stick with the Plan and you'll do fine. The Plan isn't rigid, but it can be rigorous and effective.

I am so grateful to the people on the Forum who have volunteered their experience and various observations to benefit others, including me. Am glad this site, and the people posting, are here! 

Kiplill, Melynpo, Trish13 and 2 others like this

On 7/17/2017 at 7:44 PM, Melynpo said:

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I need to hear from other post op vsg patients. I had my surgery on May 30'17 and have not lost any weight for the last 3 weeks. I have not gained just holding steady....what is going on?!?! 

May 1st I was at my highest weight since this journey began at 271lbs, the day of surgery I was 257 and now 240 for the last 3 weeks. I'm not eating bread or sweets, no junk food of any kind. I'm trying to eat and drink my protein and getting at least 38oz of water a day. I'm not at my goal of exercising 4 times a week but I am excercising.

Did / does anyone else have this problem, what do I do? 

I had Gastric Bypass, so don't have any specific VSG words of wisdom for you. I think folks on the forum have given you some pretty good advice. I wish you well! 

Melynpo likes this

It seems that all of our bodies are different in how it adapts to any WLS.  And nutritionists are not all on the same page either.  Nor surgeons lol.  My nutritionist says 60G protein daily and minimum 60 ounces of fluids.  Are you not drinking 20 mins before, during, and 20 mins after your meals?  This has been my hardest hurdle to be honest.  It's hard to remember not to drink!

Melynpo likes this

1 hour ago, TammyP said:

It seems that all of our bodies are different in how it adapts to any WLS.  And nutritionists are not all on the same page either.  Nor surgeons lol.  My nutritionist says 60G protein daily and minimum 60 ounces of fluids.  Are you not drinking 20 mins before, during, and 20 mins after your meals?  This has been my hardest hurdle to be honest.  It's hard to remember not to drink!

I don't drink during and I wait around 30 minutes after a meal to drink.

1 hour ago, Melynpo said:

I don't drink during and I wait around 30 minutes after a meal to drink.

Good for you. Have found this to be one of those behavioral changes most difficult for me to accomplish. 

Trish13 and Melynpo like this

I found it most helpful to have a few small pieces of fruit available at the end of the meal just in case I was overly thirsty.  Early out, it was Dole 100% Fruit Juice peaches or pears.  Now it's a small satsuma or clementine or a few grapes.

Trish13, BurgundyBoy and Melynpo like this