swanfray

Should I go through with it; did you have complications post RNY??

So I got my surgery date today for August 7th, 2017. I made the choice of having the gastric bypass procedure. Now, I researched over the past few months and I was/am fully aware of all of the responsibilities that comes with rny and I thought I would be okay with it because I am fairly a responsible person. However, now that I've set the date I find myself being petrified of all of the risks that are associated with gastric bypass and I'm looking into vsg. I chose gastric bypass because I have such a large amount of excess weight to lose and the long term research associated with the weight sustainability puts me at ease. I also chose it because I read so many stories about a number of people revising from vsg to rny and I didn't want to have that risk. I don't know why I am now so afraid! I am finishing my last year of college and I will be having the surgery in my hometown, so if complications arise I'd have to travel back to my PCP 3 hours away to address them. I guess I want to know if you've personally encountered issues and what are your feelings about your surgery post op. Thank you, sorry that I sort of (really) rambled. 

No complications here, and believe me when I say my surgery was very complicated due to scarring and adhesions both in the stomach and the pelvis. I couldn't be happier knowing I have the "gold standard" surgery working away inside me. VSG wasn't an option for me both because of my previous surgery, and I had shocking regurgitation issues going into surgery. While my surgeon generally recommends VSG because he can do more of them in the same timespan, and therefore give more of his patients the chance of an improved life, he won't offer it to people with any history of GERD.

Mine was actually a revisional procedure, and that is certainly something you don't want to go through if you can avoid it.

I have not had any complications. My gastric bypass allowed me to lose my extra weight and maintain at my goal weight. Having it was the best decision of my life (besides marrying my wonderful spouse).

Try to pick the best possible surgeon and hospital for your procedure, as this will greatly minimize your risks.

My gastric bypass was my first major surgery and it went very smoothly.

We are here to support you.  

Thanks you two. I've been roaming thinnertimes for a couple months while trying to decide my best route. You guys really put me at more ease with my decision because I always find that people who choose VSG often chooses it because of less risks so I assumed that I'd definitely encounter problems if I have RNY. Glad to see that's not the case. 

3 minutes ago, swanfray said:

Thanks you two. I've been roaming thinnertimes for a couple months while trying to decide my best route. You guys really put me at more ease with my decision because I always find that people who choose VSG often chooses it because of less risks so I assumed that I'd definitely encounter problems if I have RNY. Glad to see that's not the case. 

(I have a sleeve so have kept mum). The risks for either procedure are pretty low, and if you are just finishing college I assume you are not ancient like some of us, and that will drop your risks even more. Your surgical team should have the numbers in terms of risk... 90% of people with either VSG or RNY have no complications, including minor ones like some temporary nausea after surgery. Good luck and please post on how you are doing!

I have not had any complications from my RNY although I have had some issues with adhesions which are not uncommon after any surgery.

I was 52 1/2 when I had my WLS I was at the end of the road.  I hurt 24 hours a day and my life was so restricted because of my weight and the pain in my joints.  That wasn't a future I wanted.

If I had to do it all again tomorrow, I'd be skipping into surgery,

I had a complication a day after surgery (a leak). Fortunately, it healed on its own instead of requiring more surgery, however, it required me to remain in the hospital for over a week, have a pic line inserted and be on TPN and have nothing by mouth for over 4 weeks. Not gonna lie, it was a rough few weeks and I had some buyers remorse during that time. A lot of tears and pity parties. That was Aug 2014. Since then, I lost 140lbs and have kept it off.  I feel great and am healthy. I get iron infusions about once a year now due to low iron but those are no big deal (45 minutes in and out). If I had to do it all over again, like Cinwa, I'd still go skipping into the OR.  Good luck to you. 

I have had no complications in 4 1/2 years!  I had many health problems before surgery and am healthy as a horse now.  I was terrified of the surgery but felt great afterwards.  Even right after surgery I had energy!  I also lost quickly; 9 months and I was good!  Life is good!

i want to add that both surgeries will work if you follow your plan.  Only you can control what goes in your mouth..

Edited by Cheesehead

I had a pretty severe stricture but besides that it's been an awesome journey. I haven't regretted it for one minute. Best decision I ever made! Best of luck!

Five months out and no complications, knock on wood. Life is better now :D