RetailTherapy❤

6 days post-op...a bit discouraged

7 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just had gastric bypass July 11th. Surgery went well, no complications.  Honestly, the back pain was far worse than any stomach or incision pain...still is. HERE is my problem...I don't keep a scale at home, because I can become a little "excessive" when it comes to how frequently I weigh myself. So, I know I'm jumping the gun and am completely premature, but on my morning walk I stopped at the drugstore and weighed myself. I knew I shouldn't have done it! I just knew it. I had gained 5 pounds! (YES, I checked on three other floor models just for accuracy)

I know this is just the beginning of a LONG road ahead, it just put a damper on my morning. 

Anyhow, glad to have found this group. Congratulations to all who have achieved their goals and good luck and much success to those in the process.

Firstly, welcome @RetailTherapy❤.  Glad to hear your surgery went well. Jumping on the scales during surgery week will always be a shock. The fluids pumped into us during surgery, along with our bodies reaction to trauma means we inevitably gain immediately after surgery. This water weight will drop away, and then you'll be on the path to losing again. Just follow your surgeon's plan and you'll lose. It won't be a clean downward path, but the overall trend will be losing weight.

Thanks to @Cheesehead's good advice I have vowed to stay off the scales, post-op. Getting weighed at my first few Dr.'s visits will be fine. 

I hear ya! Definitely learned my lesson.  I have my first post-op follow up with my surgeon on the 27th, so I'll just keep truckin and doing my part until then. Nothing is worth that emotional setback after all the physical effort you're putting forth. :)

Res Ipsa and Michael_A like this

21 minutes ago, RetailTherapy❤ said:

I hear ya! Definitely learned my lesson.  I have my first post-op follow up with my surgeon on the 27th, so I'll just keep truckin and doing my part until then. Nothing is worth that emotional setback after all the physical effort you're putting forth. :)

Well, one COULD take the tack that you will be happy that you were ONLY 5 lbs up in the same week as surgery... someone here posted that he/she had been up 10 lbs recently. More seriously, suggest you take a look at the posts about measuring your arms, legs, thighs, waist, neck... and follow those too. All of us with a bit more time under out belt have stalled on a daily basis while our bodies remodel. I lost an inch of waist while my weight stayed the same! Go figure! So it's good to have some other markers as you move ahead.

and now less elegantly said than @Aussie H or @Michael_A -

Welcome to the Forum and for what it is worth, my back pain is 90-95% better 4 months after surgery (your back pain predated the surgery?) I think @OlgaC has a similar story of prior bad back pain relief too. 

Res Ipsa likes this

I gained 7 pounds before I left the hospital.  

Yes, measure everything; wrist, upper arms, thighs, calves.  

And take pictures; right now!!! When your eye deceive compare you now pictures...  I don't have many before pictures.  I was fat, I didn't need pictures to see proof.  Now, I can't relate to my old self but I also don't connect with the new me in pictures..I'm stuck in no mans land..to add to it, I've never had long hair..approaching a door when I see my reflection I still have to do a double take at times...

i had hubby hide the scales, weighed every 2 weeks and never noticed a stall.  If I had the blasted scale around early out I'd have been on it several times a day!  When I dieted I would reward myself if I lost a pound or two, and I'd throw in the towel if it went up..  it was not my friend!  Now I weigh every day...

Edited by Cheesehead

I had a 35+ year documented history of failed dieting attempts - all sabotaged by what I perceived as a fail when the scales didn't record a loss.

So!  When I had my WLS, I chose not to have scales in the house until I got into the normal BMI range for my height and truthfully, it was the best decision I could have made.  It freed me up to focus on the importance of following the programme and exercising daily.