Mpierce

New here- journey begins

49 posts in this topic

Good morning folks!  My surgery went well and they say I'm on track to start some clear liquids in a bit. 

Woooooo hoooooo! Congrats and welcome to the losers bench!

Trish1967 likes this

Sounds like you're off to a great start - welcome to the losers bench.

Trish1967 likes this

Hooray! Glad to hear all is well. 

Welcome to the losers bench.

Trish1967 likes this

4 hours ago, Mpierce said:

Good morning folks!  My surgery went well and they say I'm on track to start some clear liquids in a bit. 

Congratulations! Glad to hear the good news and welcome to the losers bench. 

Trish1967 likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the update! You did it! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Edited by Gretta
Trish1967 likes this

Posted (edited)

Congratulations!! So glad things went well :) Glad to have you on the losers bench!!

Edited by Trish1967

16 hours ago, Mpierce said:

YAY!! So glad to hear! <3

Struggling with nausea and they won't let me go home until I keep it down. So readyto go home. 

So sorry to hear that @Mpierce. Have you been able to get up and walk around? I know its not comfortable but sometimes walking around to get rid of some gas pains or just to let things 'settle' can be helpful. 

49 minutes ago, Mpierce said:

Struggling with nausea and they won't let me go home until I keep it down. So readyto go home. 

Well, darn. 

Hard to go home if you can't keep liquids down... 

I hope they get the nausea sorted out so you can go home!

Yes I have been up walking and feel much better. There was a mixup with food service and they had me down NPO. Doctor finally got them straightened out and a liquid diet was delivered. This help - think the nausea was do to taking so much medicine on an empty stomach. I will be heading home in a couple hours :)   Thanks for all of your encouraging words and posit e thought!  

Hooray! So glad you get to go home soon. Home is the best place to heal.

Trish1967 likes this

15 hours ago, Mpierce said:

Yes I have been up walking and feel much better. There was a mixup with food service and they had me down NPO. Doctor finally got them straightened out and a liquid diet was delivered. This help - think the nausea was do to taking so much medicine on an empty stomach. I will be heading home in a couple hours :)   Thanks for all of your encouraging words and posit e thought!  

How was your first night at home?

Trish1967 likes this

Thanks for all the suggestions, unfortunately nothing worked for me, and Monday at my doctors appt I was put in the hospital for an emergency surgery for the constipation,  which was a awful long day. All is better now, and just working on keeping it that way. Lol 

11 minutes ago, Rondakaye said:

Thanks for all the suggestions, unfortunately nothing worked for me, and Monday at my doctors appt I was put in the hospital for an emergency surgery for the constipation,  which was a awful long day. All is better now, and just working on keeping it that way. Lol 

Oh wow! So glad that's over. What did they suggest to keep things regular?

Rondakaye and BurgundyBoy like this

Doing pretty good at home. Still struggling with pain and having some constipation but I'm working on it. 

21 hours ago, Mpierce said:

Doing pretty good at home. Still struggling with pain and having some constipation but I'm working on it. 

Whatever works... don't want to suffer @Rondakaye's fate!

Rondakaye likes this

All I can say is drink, drink, drink sip all day, after 2 weeks my doctor now has me taking 3 100mg stool softners one at a time. and a dose of milk of magnesa, seems to be working. I hope no one has to go through what I had to go through.good luck to everyone.

23 hours ago, Mpierce said:

Keep sipping those fluids stay hydrated, MiraLax or milk of magnesa during the first phases everyday. I'm in my 2nd phase, and keeping active once your ready will help alot, I finally get to get back in pool tomorrow, I'm sure that will help a lot. Good luck.

@BurgundyBoy What kind of fiber are you putting into those morning shakes ?  I already have issues with constipation and want to do all that I can to be as comfortable as possible.

11 hours ago, tracyringo said:

@BurgundyBoy What kind of fiber are you putting into those morning shakes ?  I already have issues with constipation and want to do all that I can to be as comfortable as possible.

1 - Psyllium husks, the same thing as Metamucil, ... it bulks up your stools. Has lots of insoluble fiber which absorbs water. It has been shown to relieve constipation and to lower cholesterol levels. I add it to / blend it into / my morning protein shake. I use 8 grams in a Premier Protein shake... with 10 grams, it is too gelled to be easily drunk through a straw. You really have to make sure you drink a lot of fluid at the same time, but that is what we have to do anyhow after WLS. My diet is so radically different now with the focus on protein and not much room for veggies with fiber... did not have to supplement in the past, but I do now. At the time of surgery I  bought Metamucil at Costco and ended up cutting open the capsules when I mixed it into my shakes, so now I just buy it in bulk. I found that just mixing it into a shake is easier for me than taking the 8 capsules at one time. This is the main reason I have a daily BM. 

2 - I also use inulin, which is a starch that is not digestable by the human body, but is broken down in the colon by bacteria there. It is soluble. It supports the growth of beneficial bacteria. When I had my WLS sleeve, I took a probiotic (Culturelle brand Lactobacillus GG) twice daily for the week before and 10 days afterwards. Inulin should feed the growth of Lactobacillus bacteria.  Had not one gut pain due to intestinal gas after surgery, unlike most other folks here. 

If you have not taken these before, I would gently ramp these up over something like 4 days - they will cause an increase in the bacteria that lead to gas or flatulence, and an abrupt increase might make this more noticeable than you would like. At this point I have no more gas than the average person, as my system must "expect" to get its daily fiber. If you don't care about a bit of flatulence early on you can just start without ramping up, it's not going to hurt you. 

My morning shake also has 70 grams of blueberries, and 1/2 ounce (15 grams) of pulverized walnuts, since there is convincing evidence that a diet with the kinds of oils found in nuts and olive oil is good for your health. There were a bunch of studies done in Spain over a decade that showed huge decreases in mortality (not just illness) in people with cardiovascular risks if they were on a Mediterranean diet with fish, nuts, olives. WLS diets are so focused on protein that the other aspects of an healthy diet can be (mistakenly) sidelined, in my opinion. 

The best part is the blueberries turn the shake a lurid purple. 

tracyringo and kayak19 like this

2 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

WLS diets are so focused on protein that the other aspects of an healthy diet can be (mistakenly) sidelined, in my opinion. 

Agree. It's hard to get everything in.

Rondakaye likes this