Mpierce

New here- journey begins

49 posts in this topic

Hello!  I will be having gastric bypass surgery in 4 days. I'm excited and scared to death at the same time. Was so excited to find this forum. I appreciate being able to hear what others are experiencing and look forward to this support as I take this journey. 

Greetings! Congrats on getting the surgery done. Normal to be scared, anxious, and otherwise nervous (although it is the only scientifically proven way to get rid of your excess weight). May one ask what got you to this point? Best wishes!

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome to Thinner Times Mpierce!

Sally L and Trish1967 like this

I came to this decision after a knee injury. I struggled with recovery after surgery and still can't do what I could before. I also have been diagnosed with sleep apnea.  I finally decided enough was enough!  I need to take control of my life and improve my chances and quality of future. 

4 minutes ago, Mpierce said:

I came to this decision after a knee injury. I struggled with recovery after surgery and still can't do what I could before. I also have been diagnosed with sleep apnea.  I finally decided enough was enough!  I need to take control of my life and improve my chances and quality of future. 

Very powerful stuff. 

My sleep apnea had driven my wife into another room so she could get some sleep, and my orthopedic stuff (bad back, bad hip) had me thinking I would have to retire early.

Now, my back is 90-95% better and though my hip pain is not much better... I know if I end up getting it replaced, the surgery will be much safer for me without the excess weight. Perhaps best of all, my sleep apnea appears to have disappeared. I was having bouts of sleepiness during the day and almost never getting a full night's sleep. I was waking up at night with a racing heart and dry mouth. Now, my wife and I are going on a family vacation and will be sleeping in the same room for the first time in a decade. :rolleyes:

Sally L, Trish1967, TammyP and 4 others like this

Welcome to TT forum. We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey. :) 

I have never regretted having my gastric bypass. It allowed me to become thin, healthy and much more active. 

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

Welcome! It's normal to be nervous. Nice to know those nerves will be gone very soon and you'll be recoveting beautifully.

NerdyLady, Trish1967 and Rondakaye like this

My knee injury drove me to finally make the decision too @Mpierce. The idea had been hovering in the back of my mind for quite a while but my recovery post-microfracture knee surgery was severely derailed by the excess weight.  It was then I realized how much more life I wanted to live and I needed to get this monkey off my back (make that about 8 monkeys), in order to live life to the fullest. I am about 2.5 weeks post-op now.  I have no regrets and am filled with hope for my future. 

Mpierce, Trish1967, Sally L and 1 other like this

3rd day home from hospital, I @  think all is going as it should, no vomiting, just a lot of pain from surgery. Question: I mainly get through 1 protein drink in a day with sips of water, Apple juice, I use little 1 ounce containers at a time, how long in between do I wait to drink again, when is it out of your new pouch and ready for more. Does anyone know?

2 minutes ago, Rondakaye said:

3rd day home from hospital, I @  think all is going as it should, no vomiting, just a lot of pain from surgery. Question: I mainly get through 1 protein drink in a day with sips of water, Apple juice, I use little 1 ounce containers at a time, how long in between do I wait to drink again, when is it out of your new pouch and ready for more. Does anyone know?

No need to wait long at all between liquids. They move out of your pouch in practically no time.

Posted (edited)

Oh ok I've been so affraid of over filling it and at this point I can't determine the difference from full and pain from surgery. Thank u

Edited by Rondakaye
Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

4 minutes ago, Rondakaye said:

Oh ok I've been so affraid of over filling it and at this point I can't determine the difference from full and pain from surgery. Thank u

You're welcome. You're doing great!

Rondakaye and Trish1967 like this

2 hours ago, Mpierce said:

Welcome. Good luck with the surgery. Hopefully it will help with your knee recovery. My knees are way better since losing weight.  My sleep apnea disappeared with weightloss, it takes awhile but can definitely happen. I have a midfoot fusion surgery scheduled for 5 weeks times, so I'm really hoping the weightloss helps my recovery. I couldn't even get a surgeon to try to fix it until my BMI was under 30. Unfortunately the foot hasn't improved since the weightloss and won't improve without the surgery.

NerdyLady likes this

21 minutes ago, Gretta said:

No need to wait long at all between liquids. They move out of your pouch in practically no time.

@Rondakaye, as @Gretta says you can just sit and sip if you want (and as she says, you are doing great!). If you want to be really nerdy, figure you are supposed to get 60 ounces of fluid a day... divide that by 15 hours awake or 4 ounces per hour.... so an ounce every 15 minutes is your minimum intake. You should soon (if not now) be able to drink much more than an ounce at the "breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner" times. My two cents (that may be all it is worth...) is that as you increase your fluid intake, you'll be able to meet the typical "60 grams or more of protein a day" recommendation pretty easily with the protein drinks. 

When you had your gastric bypass the usual exit from the stomach was bypassed... so now any liquid in the stomach just zips into the intestine. You can't break anything by drinking liquids! :D

My easiest meal of the day is my morning protein shake - it is liquid protein (vanilla) and some pureed fruit like blueberries, sometimes with some ice, and with some neutral tasting fiber to make sure my intestines have some bulk in them. It must be something like 16 ounces and I can drink it pretty quickly, say 10 minutes, while I am driving to work.  

Getting very anxious!  Surgery tomorrow morning and they just called to move it up to 5:30 am. Going to be getting up super early!  :{

Welcome!  Let us know when you get to the losers bench:)

9 minutes ago, Mpierce said:

Getting very anxious!  Surgery tomorrow morning and they just called to move it up to 5:30 am. Going to be getting up super early!  :{

You'll be fine. Just put one foot in front of the other. Being nervous is normal. First in, first out after surgery. 

Trish1967 likes this

That's great! First of the day! Can't wait for your update saying everything went great!

Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

I'm looking forward to welcoming you to the losers bench! Not long until you're there :) 

Thinking of you this morning Mpierce - have a safe trip to the losers bench.

You've got this! Hope you are recuperating nicely in the hospital.   

Trish1967 likes this

Posted (edited)

One week after gastric bypass, I'm so constipated, I'm crying , sorry for the tmi. Doctor has me drinking MiraLax to see if that helps, so far it's NOT. Any suggestions? Would appreciate. I'm still in my first 2 week phase of full liquids.

Edited by Rondakaye

27 minutes ago, Rondakaye said:

One week after gastric bypass, I'm so constipated, I'm crying , sorry for the tmi. Doctor has me drinking MiraLax to see if that helps, so far it's NOT. Any suggestions? Would appreciate. I'm still in my first 2 week phase of full liquids.

I swear by the juice of a lemon in hot water. Drinking this gets peristalsis happening in the bowel. If there's anything there to move that usually does the trick for me. Otherwise a Mini miralax enema will move anything from the rectum that is there. Usually constipation happens when we are dehydrated, as the intestine will absorb water from your waste. This makes your waste set like concrete and causes the constipation, so drinking more fluids is crucial to keep things moving the way they should be. Narcotic pain meds are also a big culprit for constipation, so if your still taking them see if you can back off them.

Trish1967 and kayak19 like this

1 hour ago, Rondakaye said:

Miralax takes a while to work. Magnesium citrate will blow it right out of you. Milk of magnesia helps a lot. Many here like smooth move tea.

Trish1967 and Michael_A like this

51 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Miralax takes a while to work. Magnesium citrate will blow it right out of you. Milk of magnesia helps a lot. Many here like smooth move tea.

Saving this future reference lol...  :-)

Gretta, Trish1967, Rondakaye and 1 other like this