Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kayak19

Protein Drink Foam - not good

13 posts in this topic

Any tips on how to make protein shakes that are well-blended but have minimal foam/air bubbles on top?

I hate the air in a shake that using a blender creates.  I just use a spoon to gently stir the shake - that helps the bubbles dissipate.

This may sound weird but it is really helpful. I spray the inside of my blender with Pam - started doing this because first I put in frozen fruit, and the pulverized fruit pieces were sticking to the blender walls so that when I added the protein drink they weren't fully mixing. So a short spray with Pam reduces the stickiness by > 95% so they blend better... and I found the bubbles were much less prominent. Have noticed absolutely no adverse effect on taste, odor, or anything else (I think Pam is very neutral canola oil). 

Just for jollies I tried adding 1/4 tsp of olive oil one day and it also reduced the air BUT the flavor did not go with the protein shake. 

delilas, Res Ipsa and kayak19 like this

I have this problem with some drinks and my blender bottle too. Sometimes just setting aside for a few minutes helps the foam die off. The foam I get with syntrax shakes doesnt taste bad, at least, its just weird. 

I make my shakes the night before, put them in the refrigerator, then take them out and swirl them around a little to recombine when I'm ready to drink them.

Michael_A, kayak19 and delilas like this

52 minutes ago, Gretta said:

I make my shakes the night before, put them in the refrigerator, then take them out and swirl them around a little to recombine when I'm ready to drink them.

The shakes I use specifically say not to do this...They say on the labels to consume immediately. I actually like the foam the blender gives, so this really isn't an issue for me.

Just now, Aussie H said:

The shakes I use specifically say not to do this...They say on the labels to consume immediately. I actually like the foam the blender gives, so this really isn't an issue for me.

Ha! How strange. Extra gas? No thanks.

Michael_A likes this

On 7/17/2017 at 3:21 PM, Gretta said:

Ha! How strange. Extra gas? No thanks.

Yes, my stomach was pretty rumbly the first day I started protein shakes.  I used regular milk that day so it could be a lactose issue or just too much air in the shakes or just early on in the process.  I'm getting better at it as the days go by.  I thought the protein powder would settle more if I didn't drink it right away, but I've been making them a bit in advance and it mixes back in well with a little stir, then I skim a little foam off the top and I'm good to go.  

Gretta likes this

6 hours ago, kayak19 said:

Yes, my stomach was pretty rumbly the first day I started protein shakes.  I used regular milk that day so it could be a lactose issue or just too much air in the shakes or just early on in the process.  I'm getting better at it as the days go by.  I thought the protein powder would settle more if I didn't drink it right away, but I've been making them a bit in advance and it mixes back in well with a little stir, then I skim a little foam off the top and I'm good to go.  

You might look for Fairlife milk which is lactose-free and has extra protein. 

Kroger also makes a great lactose-free, low carb milk called Carbsmart. You can look under "Chains" in this link to see if a store near you sells Kroger products. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroger

delilas likes this

1 hour ago, Gretta said:

Kroger also makes a great lactose-free, low carb milk called Carbsmart. You can look under "Chains" in this link to see if a store near you sells Kroger products. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroger

Carbsmart is soooooo good!  I't's forbidden since I've been on my pre-op diet. I am very much looking forward to having it again.

Of course, one cup will equal a whole day's meals at that point, but that's ok with me...  :-)

Gretta likes this

2 hours ago, Gretta said:

25 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

Carbsmart is soooooo good!  I't's forbidden since I've been on my pre-op diet. I am very much looking forward to having it again.

Of course, one cup will equal a whole day's meals at that point, but that's ok with me...  :-)

Thank you - I've not tried Carbsmart so I will check it out.  I was actually using Fairlife and forgot that it was lactose-free.  My issues were probably related more to it being the first day off clears and getting a little too much foam on top...now I'm a foam-free pro!

1 minute ago, kayak19 said:

Thank you - I've not tried Carbsmart so I will check it out.  I was actually using Fairlife and forgot that it was lactose-free.  My issues were probably related more to it being the first day off clears and getting a little too much foam on top...now I'm a foam-free pro!

Cool! I feared just the whey protein itself was causing lactose problems for me. I switched to Jay Robb Chocolate Egg White Protein Powder. It's really yummy & solved my issues, but it's expensive. Now I'm able to tolerate whey powders as well. 

6 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Cool! I feared just the whey protein itself was causing lactose problems for me. I switched to Jay Robb Chocolate Egg White Protein Powder. It's really yummy & solved my issues, but it's expensive. Now I'm able to tolerate whey powders as well. 

The chocolate egg white protein conjures up images of Easter basket goodies! :)

Gretta likes this