Katinka

VSG abroad PreOp advice

Hi guys. I'm new to thinner times and have just in the last 2 weeks begun to seriously consider VSG. I am not insured and wouldn't be able to have the surgery in the states. However, I'm looking into going to Chile to have the surgery performed. My family is from there and 4 of them have had gastric by-pass. They're on vacation right now so I can't reach them, but I figure I'd ask on here, has anyone else had surgery abroad? If so, how did the pre-op journey go. Do you have skype appointments with your surgeon? How do they approve you and verify you're a candidate? (Bloodwork, organ strength etc). Any info would be appreciated. Thank you! :)

Hi Katinka, I'm not sure how it works in Chile, but I had my surgery in Mexico, so also abroad. I had a really good experience and would totally recommend this path for those who it makes sense for.

Pre-op was just phone and email exchanges, pretty simple, and no tests done until the day before surgery when I arrived in Mexico. That day was full of all kinds of tests! I'm happy to answer any questions you have. You may also want to read my blog, which talks a bit about the going abroad thing. The link here is to the first post, but there are a bunch more posts.

Welcome - in addition to Jen581791 there are many active members of TT who had their surgery outside the US, although I do no recall any current active members who had their surgery in Chile.

I did find a couple of inactive members who had their surgeries in Chile.  You can try to PM them, but I doubt that they will respond.

We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey.  :)

Thank you Res! I appreciate the info! :)

@Katinka Like Jen, I had surgery in Mexico and my experience sounds exactly like hers. My experience was incredible and I'm glad that I took the initiative to have the surgery abroad. Im sorry I don't have more to add but I would encourage you to do what you can to be able to live a healthier life. 

I had RNY gastric bypass but I'm happy to answer any questions about traveling abroad for surgery. ¡Suerte!