Cadoddle

Pre-op hoops and hurdles almost got the best of me!!!

4 posts in this topic

I am about to scream because of the frustration the Bariatric Coordinator (that is her title but I would rename her and it would NOT be nice) has put me through the last 2 weeks.  She has proven to be very unorganized and careless in her job, so I have been extra careful to take very precise notes and keep up with my own case.  Originally, she guess-timated my surgery date would be July 10th.  One of the very first comments she made was that I would need to have a sleep study test. She said that when the person called me to schedule the appointment I should tell him to put my name on the call list if he had any cancellations. As it turned out he did call me and I had my first study on June 10th and had to go back on the 19th to sleep with a cpap machine because I did have sleep apnea after all.  During the period of time between these test I met with the doctor for my first visit.  I know from my notes that I cannot have surgery until I am fitted and receive my own cpap.  I also will need the second visit with the surgeon to discuss details of the 13+ test results. (no kidding 13) As time goes by and July 10th is only 7 days away, I have not heard from her and she will not return my calls. Out of desperation (and disgust) I go into the office and tell the receptionist I have to talk to her and would wait in the lobby until she could talk to me! I think she avoided my call because of the bad news she was going to give me.

The appointment to be fitted for my cpap could not be arranged because Medicare REQUIRES the sequence of events to be doctor, sleep study, fitting for equipment. Mine was sleep study, doctor visit, fitting for cpap. I reminded her that she had told me to ask to be put on the call list if someone cancelled their sleep study.  Since I was called in early I had that done BEFORE the doctor appointment (3 stinkin days before) and because of this, Medicare would not pay,. My Monday, July 10th date for surgery had to be moved to the next week, July 17, but "not to worry" she would work this out and it would happen. She did not contact me Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. I left daily messages and by Wednesday afternoon I asked to remain on hold until she was available. She then had to tell me I could reschedule another surgery date AFTER I had obtained my cpap and could bring it to the hospital when I had surgery!!! There was nothing his office could do until then! End of Story!

Early on when this error was first noticed by the manager of the medical supply business, he called me to explain the problem. He knew Medicare would deny the request so he tried to find info from the clinic to see if the dates were wrong. He said they KNEW the rules, but seemed unable to comply. He was also having trouble in communications with her and felt really bad for me. As the days progressed and he saw no solution to this he did the most wonderful thing! He requested from the company owner that I be given a Home Sleep Study as a complimentary offer. He  made arrangements for me to pick up a machine, be given instructions, and take the machine to my own home for another sleep study. I am so grateful!! Now I am looking to a new surgery date after the July 25th sleep study. 

I have headed into this entire decision with my faith in God to lead me in the right direction and "trip me up" if it was not the best direction. Time upon time I have felt confirmation and peace. Once when after I was literally in awe that I actually had sleep apnea, a friend called on me out of the blue and began to tell me that she had been diagnosed and was feeling SO good now that she had a cpap. I could not believe it!!! Then I told her my story that I had just been told!! Another time I felt God was helping me to have peace about the decision was when I told my new neighbor next door that I had this surgery coming up.  I don't know why I even told her because only my husband and 2 daughters are aware of this personal news. Come to find out, before she moved here she was a bariatric recovery room nurse in Dallas! She wants to help me through anything she can. Then again today the entire surgery was off until I had a cpap. The  generosity and consideration of the staff at the medical supply business came through!!.  I give God the glory much deserving of his care given to me.  I am confident of my journey forward and my drive to repair this body of mine from the years of wear and tear being unable to keep this weight off!! This new "tool" is one I do not take lightly and I am resolved to do my part. 

Now.....2 days of real food before I start anew on the liquid diet AGAIN. I feel better after getting this load out of my head and onto the written word. If anyone had the time or interest to read this book, hats off to you!!

Thanks, Suzanne

BurgundyBoy, LeeC and Havamal like this

I'm a great believer that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes we just don't know what that reason is. My surgeon ended up delaying listing my surgery for 6 months after my husband died. I'm glad he did. It gave me the extra time I needed to put myself in a better place to handle the surgery when it eventually did happen.

Jen581791 and BurgundyBoy like this

Hi Cadoddle!  Sorry for the frustration, but one thing from personal experience to share.  I had to have a pre-exisiting condition in order to "qualify" for WLS with my insurance company, since my beginning weigh was borderline.  So in January I was sent for a sleep study, and lo and behold - Yeppers I have sleep apnea.  So I was relieved - insurance would now pay for my WLS.  On the flip side, when the sleep study place asked me to return for another study with the CPAP, I declined because 1) the sleep study place was a REALLY bad experience (long story lol), and 2) Why do I need a CPAP since I am having WLS soon-ish?  So I kept going through all the hurdles/requirements for my surgery.  June 14th I was sleeved.  I am in recovery after surgery and guess what?  I had bad oxygen issues.  It turns out that the anesthesia lowers your oxygen level significantly, and that with the sleep apena and NO CPAP meant that I simply could not get enough oxygen.  I needed a level of 90 in order to get released to my hospital room for an overnight stay.  I was in recovery for 7+ hours!  All due to not having a CPAP machine.  They finally late afternoon tracked down a CPAP for me, and within 30-60 mins I could be released from recovery.  All this to say, I am happy you have a CPAP.  Make sure you bring it to the hospital.  I had NO idea of the anesthesia effect on my oxygen levels....

Jen581791 and BurgundyBoy like this

13 hours ago, Cadoddle said:

...He  made arrangements for me to pick up a machine, be given instructions, and take the machine to my own home for another sleep study. I am so grateful!! Now I am looking to a new surgery date after the July 25th sleep study. ...The  generosity and consideration of the staff at the medical supply business came through!!. 

What a wonderful person! and such a big impact for you!

22 minutes ago, TammyP said:

Hi Cadoddle!  Sorry for the frustration, but one thing from personal experience to share.  ... All this to say, I am happy you have a CPAP.  Make sure you bring it to the hospital.  I had NO idea of the anesthesia effect on my oxygen levels....

Gee @TammyP I bet your sleep apnea was much worse than you suspected. For it to have that impact even after the anesthesia wore off is pretty sobering. MIne was much worse than I had thought too. I'm really glad you guys have started this thread, both to vent about the tribulations of the insurance stuff and the apnea issue.

Sleep apnea can really be bad news... and sneak up on you. I found myself waking up at night with a racing heart and unable to get a good night's sleep. A couple of times was unexpectedly sleepy driving in to work, and had to shut the door to my office and take a nap. In retrospect this was all classic sleep apnea stuff. My wife had had to start sleeping in another room because my "snoring" (sleep apnea) was so loud. She kept telling me that my breathing was irregular but I wouldn't listen. One time when I was getting a therapeutic orthobionomy treatment I fell asleep and did not breathe for over 30 seconds - which really flipped out my therapist, and thus me. It was the proverbial straw on the camel's back that helped cement my resolve to get my weight issues taken care of in a definitive way - all those links to heart attacks, hypertension, strokes, etc. Unlike you two, I was unable to tolerate a CPAP machine and used a soft plastic device that pulled my tongue forward. It helped some, not as much as CPAP would have, ... I was surprised to find out that half of the people with sleep apnea can't tolerate the CPAP machine either. 

@Cadoddle sorry for your delay, I suppose the meeting your neighbor, the kindness of the medical supply house, the getting your sleep apnea diagnosed... all for the good. Very trying though! and you should let your surgeon know about the behavior of the coordinator. I bet they know already but a letter from you may galvanize some action on their part. Your sleep apnea is not going to suddenly disappear for having the surgery, it will take some time to melt away.

Sorry for the rambling note...

TammyP likes this