Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jenpod

New here :)

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! My name is Jen. I am from Holtsville, NY. My husband and I have just started this process. We have talked about it many times, but we have finally acted on it and attended a seminar and have our first appt on August 1. 

2016 was a doozy of a health year for both of us. In February I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer - had thyroid removed. (1 year scan just came back clean!) I have had controlled high blood pressure for 20+ years. My husband had a heart attack in October. Stent put in and angioplasty - and he is as good as new. 

We hadn't talked about bariatric surgery in a long time, sort of still recovering from last year. Last month we started talking again and we were like - WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?  So we started the process. We went to a seminar at a Canter of Excellence (So lucky there is one so close), insurance is United Healthcare and Optum. We have guidelines that we need to follow obviously. Sadly, we are okay with the BMI and health requirements but I have a question. Does anyone know what the specific guidelines of the 6 month monitored diet include? After both Cancer and heart attack we were both asked to lose weight. Gym memberships for over a year - we have been there about 20 times total - still being paid. Just wondering if any of this counts for something? Or are we required to do monthly weight and diet checks for 6 months?

I look forward to really getting on here and reading lots of posts and meeting people!

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. 

@jenpod Your insurance will require weights and some evidence of medical supervision (the monitoring) for it to count. If you have recorded weights you might then talk to your PCP as to acceptability. 

Recommend you get, in writing, the requirements you will need to meet from United Healthcare so when you have completed everything there are no "uh oh" moments. There are a lot of postings here by people who have gotten conflicting advice from various insurance company reps, and sometimes (alas) from people who have had to put off surgery for some months to attain the '6 months of supervised diet' status. 

The habit of exercise can be a tough one to get into. Good you have a partner (husband)! It's not critical to weight loss after surgery but statistically you will have a lower BMI (about 4 BMI points) if you exercise regularly compared to no exercise. By this I mean your end BMI might be 24 instead of 28 if you exercise. My surgical team also tells me people who exercise have an easier time maintaining their weight too. Plus plus, of course, you will be much healthier. I'll let others chime in ...

Res Ipsa likes this

Welcome! How cool the two of you are doing this together! I had thyroid cancer as a teenager. Cancer-free for almost 20 years (just like you will be :)). The insurance coordinator at your surgeon's office will help you sort out the 6-month requirement details. I know it seems like a long time, but it will fly by.

Res Ipsa likes this

I don't have any insurance insights, I'm afraid, but I just wanted to say congrats on deciding to do WLS, on the clean thyroid scan, on getting through and past some big health scares, and on having someone to go through the process together with.

Best of luck in the paperwork and hoops portion of your journey.

Res Ipsa likes this

Welcome to Thinner Times jenpod!

Welcome to TT! Congratulations on your decision to proceed with WLS! 

On July 13, 2017 at 5:19 PM, jenpod said:

2016 was a doozy of a health year for both of us. In February I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer - had thyroid removed. (1 year scan just came back clean!) I have had controlled high blood pressure for 20+ years. My husband had a heart attack in October. Stent put in and angioplasty - and he is as good as new. 

I was also diagnosed with thyroid cancer last year, in March. I've been cancer free for 15 months now as well!! Congrats!! I had gone through the whole WLS pre op process early last year, and when I went for pre op testing for WLS, that's when they found my thyroid cancer. I had to postpone my WLS to have cancer treatment. Luckily I got back on the horse and went through the process again. I finally had my gastric bypass on May 17th, and I'm doing very well :) I tell you all of this because when you said "what are we waiting for", it struck a chord with me. Don't put it off!! You will be adding years to your life, you'll feel so much better, and hopefully your hubby won't have to deal with another heart attack! Thank God he's as good as new now...you want him to stay that way! I'm sorry I'm no help with your insurance questions, but I wanted to say hi and let you know you've found a wonderful place for support here! :)