Sign in to follow this  
lj1980

HELP!!

I am down 96 lbs since March when I had my RYN

I feel at a stand still all I want to do is eat again.

How can I stop myself from eating?

52 minutes ago, lj1980 said:

I am down 96 lbs since March when I had my RYN

I feel at a stand still all I want to do is eat again.

How can I stop myself from eating?

This is classic timing for this to hit. Google "Pouch Rules for Dummies.pdf " at http://www.amylhwilliams.com/pouchrulesfordummies.html. This has been independently found and posted to the Forum in the past by some of the Adults who have preceded us. This is the distillation of the experience of a surgeon who did bypasses for 33 years. I highlighted a couple of the quotes for you. 

When you get the urge to eat, drink as much water (Crystal Light, iced tea, whatever) as you can in under a minute, and then top up using little gulps. You'll be very full then and it might last 30 minutes. That will give you some time to catch your breath and NOT eat and figure out what you are going to do besides eat that proverbial bag of Cheetos. 

This is pasted from the PDF: 

THREE MONTHS:
At three months, the patient needs to become aware of the calories per gram of different foods to be aware of "the
cost" of each gram. (cheddar cheese is 16 cal/gram; peanut butter is 24 cals/gram). As soon as hunger returns between
three to six months, begin water loading procedures.

THREE PRINCIPLES FOR GAINING AND MAINTAINING SATIETY:
1. Fill pouch full quickly at each meal
2. Stay full by slowing the emptying of the pouch. (Eat solids. No liquids 15 minutes before and none until 1 ½ hours
after the meal). A scientific test showed that a meal of egg/toast/milk had almost all emptied out of the pouch after 45
minutes. Without milk, just egg and toast, more than ½ of the meal still remained in the pouch after 1 ½ hours.
3. Protein, protein, protein. Three meals a day. No high calorie liquids.
FLUID LOADING:
Fluid loading is drinking water/liquids as quickly as possible to fill the pouch which provides the feeling of fullness for
about 15 to 25 minutes. The patient needs to gulp about 80% of his/her maximum amount of liquid in 15 to 30
SECONDS. Then just take swallows until fullness is reached. The patient will quickly learn his/her maximum tolerance,
which is usually between 8-12
oz.
Fluid loading works because the roux limb of the intestine swells up, contracting and backing up any future food to
come into the pouch. The pouch is very sensitive to this and the feeling of fullness will last much longer than the
reality of how long the pouch was actually full. Fluid load before each meal to prevent thirst after the meal as well as to
create that feeling of fullness whenever suddenly hungry before meal time.

My own two cents (BB cents turn out to not be real currency, so be forewarned) is to consider stopping all carbs / upping your protein (as suggested above) so you become ketotic - you'll have no appetite in 3-4 days.

3 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

This is classic timing for this to hit. Google "Pouch Rules for Dummies.pdf " at http://www.amylhwilliams.com/pouchrulesfordummies.html. This has been independently found and posted to the Forum in the past by some of the Adults who have preceded us. This is the distillation of the experience of a surgeon who did bypasses for 33 years. I highlighted a couple of the quotes for you. 

When you get the urge to eat, drink as much water (Crystal Light, iced tea, whatever) as you can in under a minute, and then top up using little gulps. You'll be very full then and it might last 30 minutes. That will give you some time to catch your breath and NOT eat and figure out what you are going to do besides eat that proverbial bag of Cheetos. 

This is pasted from the PDF: 

THREE MONTHS:
At three months, the patient needs to become aware of the calories per gram of different foods to be aware of "the
cost" of each gram. (cheddar cheese is 16 cal/gram; peanut butter is 24 cals/gram). As soon as hunger returns between
three to six months, begin water loading procedures.

THREE PRINCIPLES FOR GAINING AND MAINTAINING SATIETY:
1. Fill pouch full quickly at each meal
2. Stay full by slowing the emptying of the pouch. (Eat solids. No liquids 15 minutes before and none until 1 ½ hours
after the meal). A scientific test showed that a meal of egg/toast/milk had almost all emptied out of the pouch after 45
minutes. Without milk, just egg and toast, more than ½ of the meal still remained in the pouch after 1 ½ hours.
3. Protein, protein, protein. Three meals a day. No high calorie liquids.
FLUID LOADING:
Fluid loading is drinking water/liquids as quickly as possible to fill the pouch which provides the feeling of fullness for
about 15 to 25 minutes. The patient needs to gulp about 80% of his/her maximum amount of liquid in 15 to 30
SECONDS. Then just take swallows until fullness is reached. The patient will quickly learn his/her maximum tolerance,
which is usually between 8-12
oz.
Fluid loading works because the roux limb of the intestine swells up, contracting and backing up any future food to
come into the pouch. The pouch is very sensitive to this and the feeling of fullness will last much longer than the
reality of how long the pouch was actually full. Fluid load before each meal to prevent thirst after the meal as well as to
create that feeling of fullness whenever suddenly hungry before meal time.

My own two cents (BB cents turn out to not be real currency, so be forewarned) is to consider stopping all carbs / upping your protein (as suggested above) so you become ketotic - you'll have no appetite in 3-4 days.

I have never seen this. It is awesome!! 

Thanks for posting it. I just printed it to a PDF so I could save it.  :-)

@Michael_A Just re-read it myself. A lot of good and pithy advice and experience here - most of which is relevant to a sleever like me too!

lajeana - have you checked out doing the 5-Day Pouch Test?  

A lot of our members have found it very helpful with getting back on track and maybe lose a few pounds at the same time.

http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

47 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Pouch Rules for Dummies.pdf

Thanks for posting this - I haven't read it since pre-op or just post-op, when it was still fairly irrelevant, but it's great to revisit now, when it's going to start being a good idea to follow. Lots of stuff I had forgotten.

I've always tried to drink if I think I'm hungry and shouldn't be.  Can't eat for half an hour after drinking so that gives my head time..  and if I'm still hungry afterwards I'll grab a string cheese to tide me over..water is your friend:)!

Thank you for all the infomation

I find that a warm drink is more satisfying than a cold one when I've a mind to start nibbling.