NerdyLady

Surgical scar hyperpigmentation.

8 posts in this topic

I am a brown woman who has a tendency for keloid scaring. I first noticed this at 21, when my friends and I went to get our belly buttons pierced (HEY! It was the 90's) and I had a horrible reaction. Since then, my c-section scar has keloided and my RNY scars are showing signs of keloiding. I'm going to the dermatologist next week to get cortisone shots for my c-section scar (OWWW!) and get my WLS scars looked at.

I have seen the scars of melanin challenged (AKA white people :))  folks and they seem to blend into their skin tone. Due to hyperpigmentation, my scars are a darker brown than the rest of my skin. While I do not intend to wear a two piece bathing suit any time soon (AKA NEVER), I do not like the appearance of the scars and I would like to find something to lighten them. Has anyone successfully used over the counter creams to lighten the skin on their scars? Is there a prescription cream that folks have successfully used that I can suggest to the dermatologist? I'd like to avoid buying fifty creams and spending a year trying to lighten these bad boys up. :D

Thanks!!

Jen581791 likes this

I'm brown (half black) and prone to darker scars too. My navel piercing got a keloid too :). I thought my WLS scars were going to be the same. But I'm lazy and never got around to using scar cream or anything. The good news- at 17 months out, my scars have flattened, shrunk and are barely noticeable.So hopefully, the same will happen to you. But, just in case, look into the strips that plastic surgeons give their patients to use after surgery. My SIL swears by them; she used them after her breast augmentation and c-section and her scars are completely invisible. Maybe call a local plastic surgeon and ask? Also, I did use over the counter scar lighteners on some other scars and I actually found Vitamin C serum and microdermabrasion (the scars were on my face) to be more helpful. 

@athenarose I never replied to your post. Whoops! Thanks for getting back to me.

Last week, I saw my dermatologist and got cortisone shots in my c section scar. OW. She recommended a gel called Silagel and I'm using it twice a day on my WLS scars. It is supposed to reduce keloids and lighten the scars. I hope this works because I do not want to go for cortisone shots in my midsection.

I'm now too scared to get a breast lift because I don't want to have keloid scars on my breast tissue. Damn you, melanin! :D

athenarose likes this

5 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

@athenarose I never replied to your post. Whoops! Thanks for getting back to me.

Last week, I saw my dermatologist and got cortisone shots in my c section scar. OW. She recommended a gel called Silagel and I'm using it twice a day on my WLS scars. It is supposed to reduce keloids and lighten the scars. I hope this works because I do not want to go for cortisone shots in my midsection.

I'm now too scared to get a breast lift because I don't want to have keloid scars on my breast tissue. Damn you, melanin! :D

Dude, there are so many times where I reply to things mentally and forget to click send, so no worries! Let me know if the Silagel works. I have the same concerns as you in regards to getting a breast lift & augmentation.

I don't know how much it'll help you but I've been using a product called "Bio-Oil" which my Mum found and gave me - it seems to be meant for scars and stretch marks and such things and I've been using it and while there is some small bits of darkened skin and such, it's really little and over time has gotten lesser still.

I like this oil I think because when applied post a shower, it absorbs really well and doesn't get all sticky and uncomfortable like many topicals and doesn't smell strong or bad or such.

Honestly I never expected 100% clear skin post surgery even WITH pin-hole/laproscopic surgery - so I'm good with the less than a inch long, tiny lines that are there at the moment. HOpefully with time they'll get even less prominent.

On 8/10/2017 at 3:06 AM, athenarose said:

Dude, there are so many times where I reply to things mentally and forget to click send, so no worries! Let me know if the Silagel works. I have the same concerns as you in regards to getting a breast lift & augmentation.

Glad to know it's not just me that replies mentally! I'll let you know about the Silagel. The receptionist spoke wonders about it but she was a fair skinned woman. Keep your fingers crossed!

athenarose likes this

On 8/10/2017 at 3:20 AM, Aksh said:

I don't know how much it'll help you but I've been using a product called "Bio-Oil" which my Mum found and gave me - it seems to be meant for scars and stretch marks and such things and I've been using it and while there is some small bits of darkened skin and such, it's really little and over time has gotten lesser still.

I like this oil I think because when applied post a shower, it absorbs really well and doesn't get all sticky and uncomfortable like many topicals and doesn't smell strong or bad or such.

Honestly I never expected 100% clear skin post surgery even WITH pin-hole/laproscopic surgery - so I'm good with the less than a inch long, tiny lines that are there at the moment. HOpefully with time they'll get even less prominent.

I've heard people swear by Bio-Oil. The skin darkening is frustrating but what is worse are the keloid scars. I have one scar which is about two inches long that looks pretty ugly. It's fairly large and while I'm not showing it off, it does bother me. I'll give Bio-Oil a try if Silagel doesn't work. Thanks for the idea!

@NerdyLady, I've never had keloid scars, and I've had a LOT of surgery...except for one of the WLS sites. I thought it was really strange that only one of the scars is doing that. Even my thyroidectomy scar is normal. Barely visible actually. But I have scars and stretch marks everywhere, and between surgery and giving birth to 3 kids, there's no hope of clearing up my skin. But I hope you have good luck with either the silagel or the bio oil. I might want to try something on just the keloid scar, so at least it matches my others, lol. 

NerdyLady likes this