Miss A

My First Post-Op Post!

9 posts in this topic

Made it to the other side! Surgery was Monday 7/10/17 and came home from hospital the next day. Today, Wednesday, will be first full day home!

Everything went according to plan, with belly tenderness as expected. My biggest issue has been nausea and inability to take deep breaths comfortably due to the gas/air in my chest and back area. I'm also still having daily headaches, which is really getting on my nerves! I think I'm doing well with moving about during the day; are there other ways to get rid of the gas/air?

Am doing well with fluid intake, but am wondering if it's normal to feel it in my esophagus as it goes down, which makes me burp (a blessing), but adds a little more pressure to air trapped in chest.

Not really needing the pain meds for the belly, but wondering if I should take them anyway for these other symptoms. Will call doc today, but would appreciate hearing from others experiences, too. 

Thanks for ALL the encouragement and support TT forum!!!

Waisting, CoTN and Jen581791 like this

Welcome to the losers bench Miss A.

Lots of regular, short walking is your best friend right now.  That should help with the gas.  Did they send you home with an incentive spirometer?  That would help you with your breathing.

Good that you're going to put a call into your doc about the headaches.

Second the walking! Walking helps move those air bubbles around, reabsorb to the right place, so you can get them out appropriately :D

The pain meds are typically take as needed. Find a balance between not letting your pain get bad, but also dont take meds just to take them - they slow down gut motility and contribute to constipation, which no one needs after stomach surgery! Finding balance is key.

If you weren't sent home with a spirometer, try setting a timer for every hour or two and taking ten really deep, long slow breaths every time it goes off.

If the feeling in your esophagus doesn't fade, or is really bothersome, I'd check in with your surgeon. 

So glad to hear you're otherwise doing well! Congrats on your surgery!

Jen581791 likes this

Posted (edited)

Absolutely take the pain medicine for the gas pain and headaches! Stay on a pain med schedule for at least the next 2 or 3 days. Once I could keep the pain meds down, that horrific gas pain got so much better. Constipation be damned. People may say not to take pain meds because of that, but they were lucky enough not to be hit with the gas pain many of us suffered. Change positions often. Walk a lot. When you get up to walk, hold onto a chair and bend forward for about 20 seconds, helps move that gas around and out. It will get better. Hugs.

Edited by Gretta

Glad to hear things are going well! I remember the weird sensation of feeling the liquid go down for the first few weeks. It'll get easier and stop feeling so weird but it does take some time. 

Keep walking around and moving - it sounds like you're doing a good job with that.

I quit all my pain meds when I left the hospital. I just didn't have a lot of pain and they didn't send me home with any of the good stuff, anyway ;) 

Be kind to yourself while you're recovering.

I also quit the pain meds early on and did a lot of walking but I was gas pain free, which makes it a different scenario tgan others! I felt the water moving down and would have (and still do) some pain when I took too big of sips. You might try small sips of warmer fluids as I found them soothing. I can take more normal sips and all temps now (2 weeks post op).

Hooray for your first post post-op! Looking forward to many more!

cinwa, MargM, Jen581791 and 1 other like this

@Miss A

How are you doing?

@BurgundyBoy Feeling GREAT!  Pain free, breathing back to normal, nausea gone, headaches over. But........just posted another topic...Hungry! Take a look please & let me know what you think

CoTN and Gretta like this

8 hours ago, Miss A said:

@BurgundyBoy Feeling GREAT!  Pain free, breathing back to normal, nausea gone, headaches over. But........just posted another topic...Hungry! Take a look please & let me know what you think

Delighted to hear!