Sally L

Questions before Gastric Bypass Surgery

21 posts in this topic

07/11/2017

Hello All,

I am just starting my journey. I am wondering what are the main 5 things a person should know before Bypass Surgery? 

Trish1967 likes this

I didn't have bypass but wanted to welcome you anyway!

Sally L and Trish1967 like this

5 main things? Off the top of my head... 1) everyone's journey is different. Don't compare your weight loss to others. 2) the liquid stage sucks. It's boring and you're uncomfortable and still healing. But things will get better and it will be worth it. 3) don't load up on anything beforehand. Your tastes will likely change. Buy one or two of several different protein shakes and see what you like before you buy a bunch. In the same vein, the Celebrate vitamin sample pack is well worth the $3. Try them all and see what you like post-op. 4) buy a Camelbak Eddy water bottle. It makes getting your water in so much easier. 5) take measurements and before pictures. Weight loss isn't just about weight and having something to refer to will help during those inevitable stalls.

I'm sure there's things I've forgotten to mention, but those are the first big five that come to my mind. Welcome to TT!

I second all of athenarose's post. I'll try to come up with five more that aren't overlapping:

1. Stalls happen to most of us. If you hit a stall, don't see that as a failure. The post-bypass journey of weight loss looks more like a stair case instead of a slide.

2. Follow your nutritional guidance from your bariatric team. All of us have varying schedules of when to eat what stage. Follow what is given to you and don't skip ahead, no matter how hard you will want to (see above comment about the liquid stage BEING ABSOLUTELY AWFUL and difficult at times). ;)

3. If you are a slow loser, you're a slow loser. Losing weight is losing weight, no matter how fast or slow you do it. I've noticed that, more often than not, if you lose slower, loose skin is not as much of a problem as those of us who lost fast. Just a thought. 

4. Body dysmorphia. You may experience it. I still do to this day and I am over 3 years post op from my bypass. You may look in the mirror after your scale/measurements say you've lost a lot and you'll still see the old person before your surgery. It may cause you to think that you really haven't lost the weight. The numbers don't lie, you have. You may come across times that you look at yourself and say "Wow, I'm still that same older big person, unhealthy and gross." (That's what I tell myself at least once a week before I catch what I'm doing.). It happens and if you start noticing it, talk to someone in your bariatric team or here on the forums. We are here to remind you that you have succeeded and your brain may be fooling you into thinking you haven't. 

5. Once you lose the weight,that does not mean that you can fall back into your old habits and the weight will stay off long term. You will gain it back if you do not property maintain your weight loss. It is a lifestyle change that you have to keep up with. Once you get down to goal, it can be hard to keep it off. Don't give up. Always remember: lean protein/fluids first, veggies second, and fruits/good fats third. Low carbs, low sugars. And vitamins every day, even if you don't want to take them. They will help you out with malabsorption. They suck to take, but you need to. It is what it is.

I think that's a good list, too. It's helped me. Good luck and welcome to the journey that will bring you to a healthier you. Keep with it and we're always here for you!

All4joy, JulieW, Trish1967 and 4 others like this

@Zen_Steph and @athenarose have some great insights and are further down the road than I am, so I'll just add my fresher-out-of-the-OR ideas:

Don't worry about giving up your favorite foods, at least during the active losing period (you can probably have them in moderation in maintenance). It's not as hard as you think, and it's totally worth it. I haven't had bread, pasta, or any kind of sweets or junk food in six months. I couldn't care less.

Get as educated about the process and the effects as you can beforehand. That way you'll have fewer surprises. Read this forum. Read blogs. Watch WLS vlogs on YouTube. 

Get involved with your support community (here or other). It's so helpful to be able to share EVERYTHING and find sympathetic ears and good advice. My husband is sick to death of hearing about every little detail, although he is still very supportive. He just doesn't get it in the same way as post-op people. Venting or celebrating here is more meaningful :) 

Practice good habits pre-op and try to lose weight then. It'll help you mentally as well as physically afterwards. 

Come up with a long list of reasons you want to lose weight. This will help you focus on your goals and celebrate success each time you achieve a non-scale victory. Shopping in regular sizes? Check! Walking uphill without getting winded? Check! 

Thats my five...

Best of luck to you on your journey. 

JulieW, delilas, Res Ipsa and 2 others like this

All things well said!  

This will mess with your head, in many ways...

get up and move as soon as you can

get your liquids in and protein.

your vitamins and suppliments are important.  They tell you to take them for a reason.

you sign up for this for life.  It's your new way of life, not a diet!!

Res Ipsa, Trish1967, JulieW and 4 others like this

I agree with everyone who responded above. But I do believe this is one of the most important things about the whole process...

On July 12, 2017 at 4:56 PM, Cheesehead said:

this for life.  It's your new way of life, not a diet!!

It's so, so true!!!

Sally L likes this

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I have my prop appointment with my surgeon next week and I am scared.  I know this is the right thing to do for me, but I have some people who disagree with my decision.  Any suggestions on how to handle people that disagree with your decision?

Thanks,

Sally L

How close are they to you?  If a parent or spouse maybe have them come to your appt next week to gain more info and ask any questions they may have..  otherwise it's none of thei business..your body, your choice!

good luck!

Sally L, delilas, athenarose and 1 other like this

Cheeseheads advice is the best! If they're close to you, get them educated and spend the time to show them and tell them why you feel this is the tool you need. If they aren't close, don't sweat it. It took a lot of advice and discussion here but I've been able to manage my coworkers and friends by telling them I'm going through the diet and workup under medical advisement (which is the nice way of saying "please take your opinion elsewhere"). 

On 7/21/2017 at 10:40 PM, Sally L said:

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I have my prop appointment with my surgeon next week and I am scared.  I know this is the right thing to do for me, but I have some people who disagree with my decision.  Any suggestions on how to handle people that disagree with your decision?

Thanks,

Sally L

Two of my best longterm friends thought this was a bad idea. I kept them in the loop, making it clear I was both listening and not following their advice. In my own heart and brain I knew I had to do this. They are good people, just could not imagine this. We all love good food and wine, and I think I was an iconic figure to them in Gourmand Land. 

Social support is critical - but if specific family or friends don't offer it, broaden the circle. Connect here on the Forum. Go to your bariatric surgery post-op group and talk to the Adults who had surgery 2, 4, or 10 years ago. You  never know who will be supportive. Of all things, the lifeguards at my gym are big supporters for me - they watched the weight melt away and could not be more friendly. Support doesn't have to be intimate or detailed to be support. Having support is a key to long-term success. A lack of social support is a major risk factor for weight regaining. (the other keys to success are sticking to the diet Plan, and having your psych issues under control. Exercise helps to cement the deal and ensure lower eventual weight and good health, but it is not essential to weight loss). 

If you search postings by my name or @Jen581791 you'll find a bunch of articles we've posted that were published in the NYT that are thoughtful and well researched. Some people need something to read, some people need someone to talk to, some people will want to talk to your surgeon... My wife was against surgery and as it turned out it was because she thought I would die. In the Old Days it was much riskier than it is now, now it is like elective gall bladder surgery in terms of risk. 

Apprehension is normal. Let your brain fight, though, against Fear; we do stupid things because of Fear. You are trading a small surgical risk now to avoid the immense risks of remaining obese. By this I mean the hypertension, strokes, lack of mobility, bad joints, diabetes and amputations, heart failure, back pain, gout, sleep apnea, higher cancer risks, and the list goes on of bad diseases that people with obesity get. And die from early. And have to live with before they die early. And have while suffering the social stigma of being heavy. 

kayak19, Jen581791 and cinwa like this

1. It will change your life forever. (Hands down, best decision I've ever made)

2. You will feel normal! (It's wonderful to blend in and no whispering or gawking about how fat you are)

3. Eating is freedom. (I'm no longer a slave to food. It's also not embarrassing to eat in front of people and I love how my body controls my intake)

4. You will love to shop, move, try new things~everything is fun and easy. 

5. You will receive attention-good attention! I still can't get used to the flattering comments and flirting. 

I thought I'd share 5 positives from where I'm currently at. As far as what others think, who cares! LOL. It's time to do what you want. I only told my closest family members. I didn't really need or want anyone else's opinion! Good luck to you!

cinwa, Jen581791, Michael_A and 3 others like this

Thanks your remarks are very helpful.

I got my insurance approval! I am super excited and scared at the same time. I am watching what I eat and using premier protein so I get sued to it before my 2 week liquid diet. Any suggestions about the liquid diet?

Congrats, @Sally L! The liquid diet sucks. You'll get sick of sweet protein drinks, so think about getting some soups you can strain and drink the broth or getting bone broth and flavoring it in happy ways. Mix up textures with sugar free popsicles and/or snow cones. I used lots of sugar free gum just to chew something. I hope it flies by.

Thanks @Gretta, that is a big help!

Gretta likes this

Congratulations!  What a way to start the school year!  Liquids can be challenging but you can do it!! I use the Unjury protein powders. I love the strawberry sorbet with a little sugar free lemonade mixed in. They also have an unflavored that mixes in well to most anything. My go to is decaf or green tea. Good Luck!

Sally L likes this

9 hours ago, Sally L said:

I got my insurance approval! I am super excited and scared at the same time. I am watching what I eat and using premier protein so I get sued to it before my 2 week liquid diet. Any suggestions about the liquid diet?

Just a heads-up Sally.  Don't stock up on Premier protein.  It's not unusual to find that our tastes change post-op.

Sally L likes this

So would you recommend to try different types of protein shakes?

32 minutes ago, Sally L said:

So would you recommend to try different types of protein shakes?

Samples packs are a great way to go Sally.  

I like Syntrax Nectar (the shake type flavours) best of any protein powders.  You can get individual packs here:  http://www.mybariatricpantry.com/SYNTRAX_NECTAR_PROTEIN_POWDER_SAMPLES_p/nectar-sample.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-vm4yrbL1QIViFp-Ch2G_QU8EAQYASABEgIHJvD_BwE&click=10402&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine 

http://www.mybariatricpantry.com/SYNTRAX_NECTAR_GRAB_N_GO_p/nectar-grabngo.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-vm4yrbL1QIViFp-Ch2G_QU8EAQYBCABEgLpjvD_BwE&click=10402&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine

https://www.amazon.com/Syntrax-Nectar-Protein-Sampler-Variety/dp/B06XFNYZCT/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_121_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AD231Z1JNTD4QZ4QDJNT

Another option is to check out Nashua Nutrition - they have a pretty extensive selection of samples:  http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein-powder-samples-1-serving.html

GNC stock bottles of RTD Nature's Best® Isopure Zero Carb.  I liked them best diluted 50:50 with water and with 40g of protein a bottle, they're worth checking out.  Take a look in your local Walmart too.  My stocks the smaller 8oz bottles (but not all the flavours).  

Sally L and Res Ipsa like this

I agree!  Many brands will let you order samples online. My GNC will mix one up for you to try in the store. Phormula 1 at GNC mixes in water or skim milk. It desolves completely with no grit or chalky taste. Even when you find one you like you can get tired of it during the liquid phase. :) 

Sally L likes this