Debo1111

Gastric bypass surgeon recommendations

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone I would pls like some recommendations as to Surgeons for gastric bypass pls help I am willing nd open to travel.

Welcome to Thinner Times Debo!

Question, are you going through your insurance or self-pay?

Travel is a good second choice if there are no good surgeons where you live. Lots of people here have travelled had surgery and done fine.... but it is more convenient to have them close by if you need them!

Where do you live?

If you can travel to a major US city, there probably are a few good surgeons. This is especially good if your health insurance will cover it. 

Of course, if you live in a country with nationized health care (e.g., UK, Canada, Australia) you should find the best surgeon in your system. 

Otherwise, there are some good surgeons in Mexico, but be sure to research them here and elsewhere. 

We are here to support you. 

Insurance is with Aetna nd yes yes I am willing to travel.. 

I live in memphis and after doing my research would rather travel...

On 12/07/2017 at 9:17 AM, Res Ipsa said:

If you can travel to a major US city, there probably are a few good surgeons. This is especially good if your health insurance will cover it. 

Of course, if you live in a country with nationized health care (e.g., UK, Canada, Australia) you should find the best surgeon in your system. 

Otherwise, there are some good surgeons in Mexico, but be sure to research them here and elsewhere. 

We are here to support you. 

Haha. You make it sound like it's easy in Australia to get WLS at a public hospital. I can tell you now that isn't the case. My surgeon for example has a 5 year wait! I was very lucky mine was fast-tracked through by the surgeon himself because while deemed not emergency it had the potential to become an emergency the longer it was left untreated.

Current government policy is making waiting times for all elective surgeries even longer. There is a very strong movement in our publicly funded healthcare system to limited public hospital funding to emergency trauma surgery and WLS definitely falls into the "elective surgery" category. By far the majority of WLS that happens in Australia, happens in the private health system and are mostly financed by health insurance....with huge co-pays. Just as the US has Mexico as a self-pay destination, in Australia we have Thailand as our major medical tourism destination. I believe the situation is similar in the UK where many people are privately insured in order to fast track their surgical needs.

13 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

Haha. You make it sound like it's easy in Australia to get WLS at a public hospital. I can tell you now that isn't the case. My surgeon for example has a 5 year wait! I was very lucky mine was fast-tracked through by the surgeon himself because while deemed not emergency it had the potential to become an emergency the longer it was left untreated.

Current government policy is making waiting times for all elective surgeries even longer. There is a very strong movement in our publicly funded healthcare system to limited public hospital funding to emergency trauma surgery and WLS definitely falls into the "elective surgery" category. By far the majority of WLS that happens in Australia, happens in the private health system and are mostly financed by health insurance....with huge co-pays. Just as the US has Mexico as a self-pay destination, in Australia we have Thailand as our major medical tourism destination. I believe the situation is similar in the UK where many people are privately insured in order to fast track their surgical needs.

I stand corrected about how things work in Australia.  Thank you.  I mean it.  As the US struggles with what kind of health care system to have, it is great to hear about the health care systems elsewhere. 

But, no matter what, I will not eat vegemite. :D

Jen581791 likes this

Vegemite is great @Res Ipsa!!!! Most of us Aussies just have the smallest scrapings of it though. I indulge in it most nights these days on a nice little piece of sourdough bread.... Yes I know.... But hey I'm under dietician orders to increase my carb intake. ;) You definitely shouldn't spread it like peanut butter.

I would kill for a case or two of Marmite (not unlike Vegemite - maybe a little milder).  

On 13/07/2017 at 9:42 PM, cinwa said:

I would kill for a case or two of Marmite (not unlike Vegemite - maybe a little milder).  

Yuck on the Marmite here in Australia. Its a nasty copy in my opinion and just doesn't taste right. Just had my Vegemite on toast for supper. We really do get raised on the stuff here. I even used to make my kids teething rusks with Vegemite and cheese....They loved the stuff.

On 7/11/2017 at 2:17 PM, Debo1111 said:

Hello everyone I would pls like some recommendations as to Surgeons for gastric bypass pls help I am willing nd open to travel.

To get back to your original question - look for well respected weight loss surgical practices in major hospitals. For example, Boston has several great places to have weight loss surgery and people come from all over the US and the world for medical treatment here.