flwrs81

psych eval

7 posts in this topic

Hi, my wls journey is just beginning and i am terrified about the psych eval. I have been on medication for depression and anxiety on and off for several years. Does anyone know if this puts me at risk for being denied surgery? Thank you 

Don't worry. They try to make sure any mental health issues are "well-controlled". Plenty of people with depression & anxiety issues have successfully had surgery. They're not trying to exclude you, they just want you to be safe & successful. Keep us posted :)

flwrs81, Trish1967 and BurgundyBoy like this

It's nothing to worry about.

Nearly every program has a psych component - most of us have been there and felt similarly! It is focused on making sure you are ready for surgery, and they are not looking to exclude people without good reason. Try not to worry about it, just relax and be honest with them!

8 hours ago, flwrs81 said:

Hi, my wls journey is just beginning and i am terrified about the psych eval. I have been on medication for depression and anxiety on and off for several years. Does anyone know if this puts me at risk for being denied surgery? Thank you 

No worries. 40% of the US public has significant depression or anxiety. The fact you have been on medication signals that you have been dealing with your psych issues in a responsible manner. It is the people with untreated issues who end up in trouble. It's one of the major reasons for WLS "failure."

Not speaking for anyone else posting here - my sublimation of emotional issues through eating food is a common response to the slings and arrows of life. If I had not been able or willing to at least address this it would not have been right for me to proceed to WLS..... I might have ended up blending Twinkies and BBQ ribs together everytime I got upset and swilling that slurry down for emotional reasons, and "failing" surgery. :wacko:  The surgery usually works, it is the genius or the crazy person who is in control who determines the success or failure of the procedure in leading to WL. 

So don't sweat the interview. My program actually starts with the psych evaluation up front as the first interview. 

flwrs81, Trish1967 and tmcgee like this

Be sure to explain in detail at the psych interview if you have a good support structure in place to support you through the tough moments around weight loss surgery - such as support from a therapist, family members, friends, medications that work well for you, and (of course :D) Thinnertimes. 

It also helps if you are well informed about weight loss surgery, do spend a few hours reading lots of postings here at TT. 

My psych evaluation actually made me feel better about the whole process. It was nothing like I expected it to be. I had the same fear you do about being denied due to psychiatric reasons. I am bipolar, have recurrent panic attacks, and have a pretty significant psychiatric history. I've had these problems since I was 16 years old. I see a therapist on a regular basis, and have been medicated for years. One of the first things the doc asked me, after I explained my history, was if I was expecting weight loss surgery to fix my psych issues. He wanted to make sure I wasn't having the surgery for the wrong reasons, such as curing depression, or to become a size 2 in the hopes of making all of my problems disappear. My eval took about 90 minutes, and in the end the doc knew I understood the process and wanted the surgery to help me get healthy. They just want to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into, and that you can handle, and are ready for, it. You will be ok. Just be honest about anything they ask, and like @Res Ipsa said...spend time reading postings here and also ask lots of questions so you can inform yourself!!

flwrs81 and BurgundyBoy like this