Rakat

Seeking a Buddy/Mentor

15 posts in this topic

I'm at the beginning of the WLS surgery path.  I'm hoping to find someone who can help guide me along based on their experience and knowledge. If you are interested in mentoring someone, please PM me.

If you are new to this, like I am, feel free to contact me. We can try to help each other and such.

I am sorry that I am a bit too busy now to mentor someone, but I encourage you to use Thinner Times as your mentor.  I and many other people here have done this very successfully.

By the way, I encourage you to do everything that you can to speed up your insurance approval process and to get a surgery date.  There is a fairly significant chance that the US health care laws could change soon, and this could result in many people losing their coverage for expensive medical procedures like weight loss surgery. 

Rakat and athenarose like this

10 hours ago, Rakat said:

I'm at the beginning of the WLS surgery path.  I'm hoping to find someone who can help guide me along based on their experience and knowledge. If you are interested in mentoring someone, please PM me.

If you are new to this, like I am, feel free to contact me. We can try to help each other and such.

Hi Rakat, where are you in the process? Are you just considering WLS and hoping to get some opinions from the people here? Or are you beyond that stage?

Rakat likes this

42 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

I am sorry that I am a bit too busy now to mentor someone, but I encourage you to use Thinner Times as your mentor.  I and many other people here have done this very successfully.

By the way, I encourage you to do everything that you can to speed up your insurance approval process and to get a surgery date.  There is a fairly significant chance that the US health care laws could change soon, and this could result in many people losing their coverage for expensive medical procedures like weight loss surgery. 

Yes to all this! Use TT as your mentor and you'll get the collective support, experience and wisdom of everyone here. 

Res Ipsa and Rakat like this

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Hi Rakat, where are you in the process? Are you just considering WLS and hoping to get some opinions from the people here? Or are you beyond that stage?

Hi there! I'm at the waiting for that first doctor's appointment point. I've decided I want to get WLS. However, I have to wait until August to see my doctor. She's booked until the first week or so of August.

1 hour ago, Res Ipsa said:

Thank you for the advice. Possible change to health care is what prompted me to do this now.

BurgundyBoy likes this

40 minutes ago, Rakat said:

Hi there! I'm at the waiting for that first doctor's appointment point. I've decided I want to get WLS. However, I have to wait until August to see my doctor. She's booked until the first week or so of August.

Are you waiting to see your primary care doctor or your WLS doctor? It might be wise to check with your insurance and see if you need a referral to see the WLS doctor. Also, look into attending an info meeting if you haven't already. 

3 hours ago, athenarose said:

Are you waiting to see your primary care doctor or your WLS doctor? It might be wise to check with your insurance and see if you need a referral to see the WLS doctor. Also, look into attending an info meeting if you haven't already. 

I called my primary doctor for a referral. She said she needs to see me in person. My blog shares a bit more info about that.  My insurance provider is WV Family Health, a branch of Medicaid. I'm speculating my PC doctor might be the one who supervises the 6 month diet.

3 hours ago, Rakat said:

I called my primary doctor for a referral. She said she needs to see me in person. My blog shares a bit more info about that.  My insurance provider is WV Family Health, a branch of Medicaid. I'm speculating my PC doctor might be the one who supervises the 6 month diet.

Definitely double check if you need the referral. It may vary depending on your insurance and/or your surgeon. In my case, a nutritionist at my surgeons office typically supervised the 6 month diet. Do you have a surgeon in mind yet or are you still looking?

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, athenarose said:

Definitely double check if you need the referral. It may vary depending on your insurance and/or your surgeon. In my case, a nutritionist at my surgeons office typically supervised the 6 month diet. Do you have a surgeon in mind yet or are you still looking?

I have read about a few but unsure of their reputations. There doesn't seem to be alot of WLS and related info in this state. I have googled their names and such but haven't found many reviews. I'm new to using insurance for surgery. This is going to be my first major surgery. Actually, this is my first surgery of any sort. So, certain things are new to me.

By the way, I just realized what I said in my last post "see me in person" lol. I meant she said needs to see me to start the process.

Edited by Rakat
typos

1 minute ago, Rakat said:

I have read about a few but unsure of their reputations. There doesn't seem to be alot of WLS and related info in this state. I have googled their names and such but haven't found many reviews. I'm new to using insurance for surgery. This is going to be my first major surgery.

By the way, I just realized what I said in my last post "see me in person" lol. I meant she said needs to see me to start the process.

Maybe look and see if any of them offer info meetings. That way, you can get a feel for them and get some more information in the process. Personally, I called my insurance to find out exactly what they required. My insurance didn't require I meet with my PCP and my surgeon didn't either for that matter. So, while it's great to talk with your PCP, if you don't have to wait until August to start the process, it's silly to wait unless you want the extra time for some reason. Either way, in the meantime, spend some time on here reading. And ask any questions that you may have or think of. The more information you have beforehand, the better, I think.

Rakat likes this

Just now, athenarose said:

Maybe look and see if any of them offer info meetings. That way, you can get a feel for them and get some more information in the process. Personally, I called my insurance to find out exactly what they required. My insurance didn't require I meet with my PCP and my surgeon didn't either for that matter. So, while it's great to talk with your PCP, if you don't have to wait until August to start the process, it's silly to wait unless you want the extra time for some reason. Either way, in the meantime, spend some time on here reading. And ask any questions that you may have or think of. The more information you have beforehand, the better, I think.

I will check into that. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions!

athenarose likes this

14 hours ago, athenarose said:

@Rakatsounds like you are in the loop. Let me reinforce @athenarose's suggestion to find out, at the start of the process, what your insurance requires for approval - a bunch of people posting here have had misadventures relating to their docs, their insurance, etc not being synchronized. If you know you need 6 months of a supervised diet, for example, maybe you could start something now with your doc seeing in on you next month - and gain a month of time.

I had the opposite of a misadventure - I went to my 1st appointment with my team with a printout of my attempts to lose weight in the prior year (had weights by date, amount of exercise, calories ingested) and dates I had seen my PCP, and they were able to use that as evidence of a supervised diet. Just good luck. I gained at least 3 months of time that way. Never hurts to know what the system needs!

athenarose likes this

Hi everyone! I called my insurance today. I was told I have to see my doctor and then proceed with any directions she will have.

athenarose and MargM like this

Your PCP is a good place to start. He/she can take all of your info to start medical supervision and they can recommend surgeons so you have credible information about your choices. Good luck!