Lisa_Lisa

Looking for a September Surgery Buddy.. Anywhere is fine

7 posts in this topic

My surgery was set for August 1st, but my Dr is on Vacation the entire month of August. I am not set for Sept 5th. Sigh. I have lost the weight requested of me, but to be honest, this kinda set me back. I am finding that I am sabotaging myself. Why would I do this when I have been setting this up forever? I am not afraid of the surgery.. I think I just am thinking that maybe if the Dr sees that I gained weight he won't do it? Whats wrong with me!!! I need a buddy to talk me off the ledge!

There is nothing wrong with you Lisa.

Unless someone has been through the WLS process,  I don't think they have much idea of just how much we're geared up for it and to be given a surgery date only to have it changed to a later one can make us feel like the rug has been pulled out from under our feet.

You've got this far - focus not so much losing weight as maintaining your loss.  You've done incredibly well so far - on the grand scale of things, 31 more days isn't so bad.

BurgundyBoy, Res Ipsa and Jen581791 like this

Awful to get your date changed. That's got to be hard to take. Can you try to think about it as 31 more days to build habits? 

I actually lost more weight in the month before surgery than any month since :o It was like a head start on the process. Any further progress you make now will just get you closer to where you want to be. 

Good luck as you wait.

BurgundyBoy likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry you've been rescheduled. Just think how relaxed your surgeon will be after a month-long vacation. Your surgery should go off without a hitch! Turning to food after a disappointment is something we've all done. You worked so hard for that weight loss. Don't give up an ounce of it! 

Edited by Gretta
BurgundyBoy and Jen581791 like this

I am very sorry for your delay - but really exciting and wonderful times  are ahead for you. :) 

Take a look at my and other postings at the link below to help you see what is about to happen to you if you can just stick to the diet plan from your surgeon. 

Jen581791 and BurgundyBoy like this

Ah! You incredibly lucky person! The (very irritating) WLS gods must have decided to test your mettle just a bit more! <_< This is a very good sign, they must see you as being very worthy of this honor. 

On a more serious note - you'll be okay if you just stick to your plan. Whenever I have doubts about my ability to do X or Y or Z now, when the figurative winds blow at night and the wolves are howling, and I see the Zombie Twinkies dancing outside my window ... I just remember that I can follow the plan and it will turn out okay. And it does. The good thing, that we sometimes forget, is that the dietary plan for WLS is not rocket science. We can wrap it all up in the emotional overlays that we carry with us around food, and our secret feelings relating to sabotage.... but in this case simpler is better. Just follow the plan. When you start to think about your emotional-crutch food... think Stay With The Plan. 

Plus, if you can maintain your weight or even lose a random pound or two awaiting September 5, you can do so knowing that pre-surgery weight loss predicts after-surgery weight loss. People who lose before surgery tend to be more successful after the surgery. So if you drop a couple of pounds during the unexpected time you can pat yourself on the back for increasing your likelihood of success and ability to Stick With The Plan. 

I think @Jen581791 is right, it's an opportunity to build stronger habits. You'll be tested AFTER surgery many times - Stalls, Bad Habits that Resurface, Zombie Twinkies haunting you, Buyer's Remorse when it hits you that you can't eat 5 lbs of donuts anymore (or whatever your bete noir has been) - and the more challenges you face, and can face down, the more resilient you will be in the long run. A lot of what the Adults on the site - people like @cinwa and @Res Ipsa and many more - convey is that long-term success is often marked by this capacity for resilience and the "Keep it Simple" approach of just sticking to the plan. @OlgaC just posted about her delight that when confronted with conflict with a family member, she did not eat emotionally afterwards. Sounds tiny, but small incremental victories add up to winning this war. 

So indeed, you are very very lucky to have been tested this way. :wacko:

Jen581791 likes this

18 hours ago, Lisa_Lisa said:

My surgery was set for August 1st, but my Dr is on Vacation the entire month of August. I am not set for Sept 5th. Sigh. I have lost the weight requested of me, but to be honest, this kinda set me back. I am finding that I am sabotaging myself. Why would I do this when I have been setting this up forever? I am not afraid of the surgery.. I think I just am thinking that maybe if the Dr sees that I gained weight he won't do it? Whats wrong with me!!! I need a buddy to talk me off the ledge!

Don't do it! You've been working so hard to lose that weight! Don't throw all that hard work away! Stay focused, remember the end goal!