Juliet

What I wish I knew/best advice before surgery...

27 posts in this topic

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, Juliet said:

Wow, what great posts! You are all so kind. Res Ispa's "simple" advice post is now on my refrigerator, and I have to confess it made me tear up. I still don't believe all that will really happen. And I guess I'll take pictures today -- and measurements -- but I'm not going to enjoy it.

Bless you all for being here!

How long did it take y'all to get up and around?

I am not the poster child for self control or following directions, but I was back at work in 5 days and back at school the next day (after my release). I had minimal pain, just really tired, maybe a little goofy from healing / recovery, but not uncomfortable. Other people took more time off to get good habits in place and while that wasn't an option for me, it is a VERY wise thing to do. The physical recovery was really a piece of cake; it's the mental challenges that threw me for a loop (and still can). Who knew food was fuel? Make the act of eating, drinking, and exercising in a different way the focus of what you do early on and you will solidify the habits that will keep you successful over the long haul.

Edited by slars04
Michael_A and BurgundyBoy like this

3 minutes ago, slars04 said:

I am not the poster child for self control or following directions, but I was back at work in 5 days and back at school the next day (after my release). I had minimal pain, just really tired, maybe a little goofy from healing / recovery, but not uncomfortable. Other people took more time off to get good habits in place and while that wasn't an option for me, it is a VERY wise thing to do. The physical recovery was really a piece of cake; it's the mental challenges that threw me for a loop (and still can). Who knew food was fuel? Make the act of eating, drinking, and exercising in a different way the focus of what you do early on and you will solidify the habits that will keep you successful over the long haul.

Well said!

It's these habits we need to solidify for the long run - physical recovery in lots of ways is the shorter and easier aspect of constructing the new person you are. 

Res Ipsa likes this