Juliet

What I wish I knew/best advice before surgery...

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, Juliet said:

Wow, what great posts! You are all so kind. Res Ispa's "simple" advice post is now on my refrigerator, and I have to confess it made me tear up. I still don't believe all that will really happen. And I guess I'll take pictures today -- and measurements -- but I'm not going to enjoy it.

Bless you all for being here!

How long did it take y'all to get up and around?

I am not the poster child for self control or following directions, but I was back at work in 5 days and back at school the next day (after my release). I had minimal pain, just really tired, maybe a little goofy from healing / recovery, but not uncomfortable. Other people took more time off to get good habits in place and while that wasn't an option for me, it is a VERY wise thing to do. The physical recovery was really a piece of cake; it's the mental challenges that threw me for a loop (and still can). Who knew food was fuel? Make the act of eating, drinking, and exercising in a different way the focus of what you do early on and you will solidify the habits that will keep you successful over the long haul.

Edited by slars04

3 minutes ago, slars04 said:

I am not the poster child for self control or following directions, but I was back at work in 5 days and back at school the next day (after my release). I had minimal pain, just really tired, maybe a little goofy from healing / recovery, but not uncomfortable. Other people took more time off to get good habits in place and while that wasn't an option for me, it is a VERY wise thing to do. The physical recovery was really a piece of cake; it's the mental challenges that threw me for a loop (and still can). Who knew food was fuel? Make the act of eating, drinking, and exercising in a different way the focus of what you do early on and you will solidify the habits that will keep you successful over the long haul.

Well said!

It's these habits we need to solidify for the long run - physical recovery in lots of ways is the shorter and easier aspect of constructing the new person you are. 

Res Ipsa likes this

@Juliet How are you doing? :)

Doing OK. Wishing I could have real food! So tired of the sweet stuff. Getting in my liquids and proteins OK, concerned about the lack of restrictive feeling, but from what I read here that's a normal reaction. Just going through the phases...it almost feels like an anti-climax after waiting so long for surgery, now waiting to get to normal food. Would like to be cooking!

Jen581791 and Trish13 like this

26 minutes ago, Juliet said:

Doing OK. Wishing I could have real food! So tired of the sweet stuff. Getting in my liquids and proteins OK, concerned about the lack of restrictive feeling, but from what I read here that's a normal reaction. Just going through the phases...it almost feels like an anti-climax after waiting so long for surgery, now waiting to get to normal food. Would like to be cooking!

I know what you mean about the lack of restriction...I've felt full twice so far.  Just ate some ground beef for the first time, no problem.  I'm glad it is settling well, but I could eat as much of it as I can cottage cheese or yogurt, so I don't know...I guess it was only 2 oz of ground beef and then some other stuff to make about 4 oz.

That's bothering me too, that I feel I could eat more without feeling restriction. Or maybe I just don't understand what the restriction is supposed to feel like. I think it's just that we're in early days, but I don't really know. I don't see the doc until the end of the month, so I won't really know what's what until then.

Ground beef sounds good! I'm still doing soups, just added cream of wheat (very milky), did do a scrambled egg with a good portion of cottage cheese mixed in for a creamy result. But from a real food point of view, nothing has been particularly satisfying. Although I am enjoying an occasional Laughing Cow cheese wedge, squished into liquid before swallowing. 

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Juliet said:

That's bothering me too, that I feel I could eat more without feeling restriction. Or maybe I just don't understand what the restriction is supposed to feel like. I think it's just that we're in early days, but I don't really know. I don't see the doc until the end of the month, so I won't really know what's what until then.

Ground beef sounds good! I'm still doing soups, just added cream of wheat (very milky), did do a scrambled egg with a good portion of cottage cheese mixed in for a creamy result. But from a real food point of view, nothing has been particularly satisfying. Although I am enjoying an occasional Laughing Cow cheese wedge, squished into liquid before swallowing. 

Real food is around the corner for you...I'm just a week ahead in the process.  I had some avocados that were ripe so I made some guacamole this morning with grated onion, lime juice and some spices, very soft, as I'm still on soft foods.  Then I made the ground beef with taco seasoning and had some of that, a sprinkle of cheese and the guacamole for dinner.  Pretty good, but I did miss the sour cream (one of my old faves); maybe I'll try a dab of greek yogurt on there next time.  Pretty satisfying though...I used my food processor on the ground beef for just a few seconds so there weren't any larger pieces, but it wasn't pureed.

Edited by kayak19

I'm moving along, just tiptoeing out of full liquids. had a small amount of soft whipped guacamole with pureed beans last night, went down fine but the beans were bitter-tasting. Tried chicken for the first time today, canned, whirled in the food processor with all the juice and some low-fat mayo. Just OK. Nothing has been that satisfying so far, except for the little Laughing Cow cheeses, that I can squish to nothing in my mouth before swallowing. 

My refrigerator is full of all the leftover portions...there's a whole lot more in there than I've put in my mouth. But the variety makes it worth it. I couldn't stand having the same thing day in and day out. Moving into pureed foods is at least more interesting, if not more appetizing. I am done with the sweet stuff, can't take much more of that.

The ground beef sounds really good. May try that after the weekend; my food lists are kind of fuzzy in that everything is in a range -- like 10 to 14 days, or one to two weeks. I'm like, "Which one is it?" When I asked I was told it was a guide, and that I could move along on my own with the guides in mind. So that's what I'm doing, but I mostly follow the Tufts guidelines since they are much better than what I was given.

Hanging in there! How's it going for you? 

2 minutes ago, Juliet said:

I'm moving along, just tiptoeing out of full liquids. had a small amount of soft whipped guacamole with pureed beans last night, went down fine but the beans were bitter-tasting. Tried chicken for the first time today, canned, whirled in the food processor with all the juice and some low-fat mayo. Just OK. Nothing has been that satisfying so far, except for the little Laughing Cow cheeses, that I can squish to nothing in my mouth before swallowing. 

My refrigerator is full of all the leftover portions...there's a whole lot more in there than I've put in my mouth. But the variety makes it worth it. I couldn't stand having the same thing day in and day out. Moving into pureed foods is at least more interesting, if not more appetizing. I am done with the sweet stuff, can't take much more of that.

The ground beef sounds really good. May try that after the weekend; my food lists are kind of fuzzy in that everything is in a range -- like 10 to 14 days, or one to two weeks. I'm like, "Which one is it?" When I asked I was told it was a guide, and that I could move along on my own with the guides in mind. So that's what I'm doing, but I mostly follow the Tufts guidelines since they are much better than what I was given.

Hanging in there! How's it going for you? 

I'm doing pretty well, thanks @Juliet!  It's hard to have variety when you make something, eat 2 -4 oz of it and the rest goes in the fridge.  I've put guacamole on everything so I can eat it up before it goes bad.  While it's just me and my husband, growing up I had a big family and we loved leftovers so I'm trying to learn to cook smaller meals and buy smaller amounts at the grocery store.  Otherwise the food will go bad before I can eat it.  I don't want to become the garbage can for leftovers so I've been telling myself it is okay to throw things out if I get tired of them or they've just been around too long.  I definitely need more little bowls with lids!

If you decide to try the ground beef, I read somewhere to start with something like an 85/15 blend so that it's not too dry.  If the taco seasoning sounds good to you, that adds some more moisture as well.  Today I mixed some salsa and a little taco seasoning in some greek yogurt and it was a pretty good substitute for sour cream.

I guess I am glad that my plan has definitive dates, takes some of the guesswork out.  Glad you have the Tufts guide to help you out.

One tip I learned from my mother years ago, when you need small amounts look to the fresh meat counter and the salad bar. For example, I can ask for a 1/4 pound of beef, one filet of fish, or just a handful of shrimp at my grocery store. Pre-op this came in handy; I'd get 4 scallops, or one crabcake, or one prepared hamburger and break it up into servings. When Mother made soup or casseroles, just for herself, she'd get her vegetables at the salad bar. No waste, good variety, and already prepped! 

I'm looking forward to being able to do this again, once I can have some variety. One silver lining of all this, we can eventually eat very, very well on a shoestring!

Jen581791, kayak19 and Clickin like this

Hey, starting to like this weight loss thing! :lol: Feeling very well, no issues with food, weight on the way down, expanding my food choices a tiny bit each day, fully satisfied with small amounts. Getting my water and protein in, getting those vitamins down, getting some exercise...pulling it off!

Last week I was in one of the beach shops and saw this cute little beachy coverup/dress thingie that I wouldn't have even thought about before. I bought it and put it away for "later." But tonight after my shower I saw it hanging there and put it on. OK, so it fits kind of like a tube sock, and I'm NOT leaving the house in it, but it feels great! I'm walking round the house feeling like a goddess!

And it's only going to get better!

Jen581791, Gretta, Res Ipsa and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

On 8/2/2017 at 5:07 PM, Juliet said:

I

Hi Juliet - I love what you posted today.  So glad that you're feeling good and starting to do some shopping.  I've shopped a little from online clearance.  When I see something I like I check to see what size they have left and have gotten a little assortment of sizes.  Not too much but just a few items under $10.  

Edited by kayak19
double post - I guess I did post it already!
Jen581791, Juliet, Res Ipsa and 1 other like this