NerdyLady

Any bipolar folks out there? Mental health talk.

4 minutes ago, tmcgee said:

My meds have been switched up since last summer, Citalopram for anxiety and Trazadone for sleeping -- wildly successful in both cases. And yeah, breathing control can also be wildly effective. I had  sudden unexpected panic episode about a month ago, and surprisingly itv didn't last more than about 10 seconds after a couple of deep breathes/exhale slowly repetitions. It went away as suddenly as it appeared.

I've heard that people either love Trazadone or hate it. There doesn't seem to be an in between. I didn't do well with Trazadone, so I take Ativan before bed. On the other hand, my best friend takes Trazadone and can't imagine life without this med. 

Deep breathing for the win!

9 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

That's so interesting! When I was prescribed Lamictal, I was under the impression that 150 was as high as I could go. I was given the option of 100, but I felt more comfortable at 150.

Meditating for three minutes often helps me when my anxiety/depression go out of control. Taking the time to breathe *and really focus on breathing* has brought me momentary peace. It won't solve all your problems, but it can be helpful during a six week waiting period. xo

I'm all too well acquainted with dealing with my anxiety, unfortunately :( Some panic attacks I can get through by deep breathing, meditating, etc...but some, and I can tell right away which ones, there is nothing I can do to stop it and I have to ride out the panic attack. Nothing works for my depression when I'm cycling. Goodie...right? xoxo

I was on 200 for about 2 months, but had to go back to 150...and that was keeping me at my most stable I've been in years. I've been dealing with this since I was 16, so I'm pretty aware of my symptoms when they are coming on now. This whole thing bites, but it is what it is. I just do the best I can, and then go on with my day the best I can. I've had periods where I've spent a week in bed, and periods where I haven't slept in a week. It's not dull, that's for sure. ❤️

I've heard that people either love Trazadone or hate it. There doesn't seem to be an in between. I didn't do well with Trazadone, so I take Ativan before bed. On the other hand, my best friend takes Trazadone and can't imagine life without this med. 

Deep breathing for the win!

I can't take Trazadone...tried it years ago, and it was a no go for me too

9 hours ago, tmcgee said:

My meds have been switched up since last summer, Citalopram for anxiety and Trazadone for sleeping -- wildly successful in both cases. And yeah, breathing control can also be wildly effective. I had  sudden unexpected panic episode about a month ago, and surprisingly itv didn't last more than about 10 seconds after a couple of deep breathes/exhale slowly repetitions. It went away as suddenly as it appeared.

I'm so glad you've found meds that work for you!! It's great when you can find a good combo :) 

On 7/5/2017 at 10:25 AM, ktallon said:

@NerdyLady I talked to both my surgeon and psych and they seem to agree it's best to keep me on the Lamictal rather than risk throwing me into a mania. I was told however because I take 200mg a day that I may have to crush it for a while when I have my revision surgery. I was also told that I can take it in a liquid form if necessary. I have been on so many different combos of meds since 2009 and the combination I am on now has seemed to work the best for me. I have been stable since 2014. hopefully I will continue to stay this way once I have the revision to RNY. Although I am kind of preparing myself for the possibility of having to make adjustments.

I have been stable on Lamictal and Wellbutrin for years and haven't noticed a change as of yet. The Wellbutrin can't be crushed unfortunately, but I tried crushing the Lamictal and putting it in a liquid and it was awful. The best way I've found to take it is mixed in fat-free chocolate pudding. :-)

@nerdylady - I went to nursing school with plenty of people in their 50s and one in her 60s! Never think you're not young enough to go for what you want :)

On July 7, 2017 at 0:06 PM, Chefman77 said:

I have been stable on Lamictal and Wellbutrin for years and haven't noticed a change as of yet. The Wellbutrin can't be crushed unfortunately, but I tried crushing the Lamictal and putting it in a liquid and it was awful. The best way I've found to take it is mixed in fat-free chocolate pudding. :-)

The lamictal is the worst, most God awful tasting medicine in the world when it's crushed! I have to take 10 pills at bedtime, 6 of which can be crushed. If I don't crush them, I have to take them 10-15 minutes apart...so that's an entire hour of taking meds, ugh. I use applesauce to take mine, but I bet chocolate pudding would taste so much better!

On 7/7/2017 at 0:58 PM, delilas said:

@nerdylady - I went to nursing school with plenty of people in their 50s and one in her 60s! Never think you're not young enough to go for what you want :)

@delilas Girl, I'm still in school and am in far too deep to think of a career change. Frankly, I've been on grad school for too long and the idea of starting a new program is exhausting. I only mentioned younger because I wish I had not been in love with the idea of a PhD program so many years ago. 

16 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

The lamictal is the worst, most God awful tasting medicine in the world when it's crushed! I have to take 10 pills at bedtime, 6 of which can be crushed. If I don't crush them, I have to take them 10-15 minutes apart...so that's an entire hour of taking meds, ugh. I use applesauce to take mine, but I bet chocolate pudding would taste so much better!

@Chefman77 @Trish1967 Isn't crushed Lamictal the worst? I'm lucky that I don't need to crush my meds in order to swallow them. If I get to that point, pudding will be the way to go! 

@Chefman77 @Trish1967 Isn't crushed Lamictal the worst? I'm lucky that I don't need to crush my meds in order to swallow them. If I get to that point, pudding will be the way to go! 

Yes yes...it's wretched!! I only do it to save time since I have to take so many meds at night, and I can't take more than one of the bigger pills at a time. I've decided to start taking them earlier in the evening now (once I can start drinking after dinner), and that leaves me the opportunity to have a small snack. I'm finding that I feel a lot better with a snack, plus I'm almost meeting my protein goal that way as well. I'm getting in close to 500 calories a day and about 55g of protein. Yay me! Lol :D

Past due update! Thanks to @delilas, I went to see my psychopharm and talked to him about a Lamictal increase. I've been taking 300 mg for about a month and I see a remarkable difference. My mood has been stabilized and I'm no longer as irritable. I wish I had known how medication is metabolized before my surgery. A pre op increase of Lamictal would have saved me some grief. 

Edited by NerdyLady

So glad to hear this, @NerdyLady! Sometimes its tough to find the right amount but Im super happy you have access to a psychopharm that listens and is wiling to adjust as needed.