Did anyone do self-pay in Utah for the sleeve? How much did you pay? Which doctor and/or facility? My darn insurance only pays $5000 with a $3000 deductable. I believe I would end up paying more using my insurance.

Thanks so much! 

Welcome!  While I do not know the answer to your question, insurance companies often negotiate much lower rates than the self-pay rates.  So it is likely to much cheaper to use your insurance, unless you go to a cheap surgery location (like Mexico).

If you call weight loss surgery practices near you, or anywhere else,, they should be able to quote you the cost of the surgery.  Be sure that any quote that they give to you is for all of your costs - since it is very normal for the surgeon to send you a bill, the hospital to send you a bill, the anesthesiologist to send you a bill, etc.

Thanks for the reply.  I have spoken to 3 facilities (1 in Idaho 2 in Utah) and they absolutely say it is cheaper to self pay in my insurance situation. One center told me that that they bill close to 34,000. Their self pay is 20,500. 

For the sleeve ?  Hmm. Sleeve is 15,000 here and the bypass is 30,000

14 hours ago, Cloebird said:

Thanks for the reply.  I have spoken to 3 facilities (1 in Idaho 2 in Utah) and they absolutely say it is cheaper to self pay in my insurance situation. One center told me that that they bill close to 34,000. Their self pay is 20,500. 

What they bill insurance and what you "see" insurance as paying is rarely the truth. For example, we "bill" insurance for a procedure at 2,000 dollars, their "adjusted" rate is 900 dollars. But when you get your EOB, you typically see the bill amount, not what insurance actually adjusted to. I wouldn't be surprised if they bill at 34k and get paid 18k by insurance. 

Crazy insurance stuff aside, even that self pay seems kinda high. The self pay at my facility for sleeve is 17k, and that's for a university hospital - outpatient surgical centers are usually lower than that even. I'd keep shopping around, but be sure to read reviews on the centers. Cost is not the only thing to explore!

Yes, the insurance is crazy...it will not benefit me to use my insurance. That is why I get to shop around for the right doctor. 

Our university hospital is $19,200.

The lowest surgery center I have found is 11,750 with no complications.