Monicaw1127

Submitted to Insurance

32 posts in this topic

August 1st is the day!!!!! 

Jen581791 likes this

Congratulations Monica - great that you don't have too long to wait.

Don't forget to add your surgery date to your profile (if you need help - send me a PM).

Monicaw1127 likes this

Just a few short weeks until the big day! Congrats on getting a date. 

Monicaw1127 likes this

August 1st! That will be here in no time! It's getting so REAL! I'm excited for you!

Monicaw1127 likes this

I did my research on exactly what my insurance covers (United Healthcare). Every year I get a physical as a rule of thumb, so after reading pages and pages of fine print in my insurance policy I found what I was looking for. On March 24, I had my physical and asked my doctor to submit the referral, within a couple of weeks it was approved and on June 9, I had my gastric bypass. Everyone I've come across said that it was fast from the time my referral was submitted to my surgery date. My insurance required a psych evaluation and that was it. My surgeon required I attend a support group meeting and meet with a nutritionist twice. After that everything went fast, EKG, chest x-rays, CBC, and blood typing. I wish I would've looked into my insurance years ago.

BurgundyBoy and Res Ipsa like this

Mine was one week.  But it was also over the 4th of July Holiday, so mine was pretty fast.  I start the liquid diet tomorrow, nervous as crap but ready for this journey!!!

BurgundyBoy likes this

1 hour ago, Monicaw1127 said:

Mine was one week.  But it was also over the 4th of July Holiday, so mine was pretty fast.  I start the liquid diet tomorrow, nervous as crap but ready for this journey!!!

Nervous = normal.

Guessing you will be ecstatic to see the weight loss after what you described in the first posting to this thread. If you can exercise before surgery would consider it, as it decreases the (low but real) risk of complications and predicts better weight loss after surgery. My personal list of things I am glad I did was to take a probiotic - I took it primarily to reduce the (low but real) risk of getting C diff diarrhea after surgery, and found to my surprise that I did not have one episode of intestinal gas pains after surgery. This does not seem to be on any WLS check list but the evidence for its protective effects against C diff are extensive. Hoping all goes well!