JustMeT

Hello! Making it through the Preop Phase?

18 posts in this topic

Just saying hello! I am a mom and grandma, Special Ed teacher, and wife of 43 years. I started my 2 week prepping diet yesterday. I live in a remote area, 3 hours from the Weight Loss Center where I will have surgery. Because of this I don't really have a support system such as the groups offered at the clinic. So... I thought I would try this online support community!  I am having some hunger issues right now being on the liquid diet and could really use some help getting through it. If anyone has any hints I would sure appreciate it! Thanks so much! 

MargM, Res Ipsa and bellamoma like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Welcome! You've come to the right place for support and information. Oh, the liquid diet is awful, isn't it? Nothing sits in your stomach long enough to make you feel full. Luckily, it doesn't last all that long. I chewed lots of sugar free gum and got myself a snow cone machine and sugar free syrups. That gave me something to actually chew. I got sick of sweet protein drinks, so it was nice having chicken stock (more protein than chicken broth. Bone broth has a lot of protein) flavored with spices. I know people who bought all kinds of soups and strained out the chunks and drank the broth. You'll get through it!

Edited by Gretta
JustMeT, Mari2u2, Res Ipsa and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JustMeT said:

Just saying hello! I am a mom and grandma, Special Ed teacher, and wife of 43 years. I started my 2 week prepping diet yesterday. I live in a remote area, 3 hours from the Weight Loss Center where I will have surgery. Because of this I don't really have a support system such as the groups offered at the clinic. So... I thought I would try this online support community!  I am having some hunger issues right now being on the liquid diet and could really use some help getting through it. If anyone has any hints I would sure appreciate it! Thanks so much! 

I'm in the same boat, there's no support group in my area, so this forum will be it (and has been already) after my surgery.

You should update a few of your stats in your profile :-)  Are you sleeve, or bypass?

Welcome!

JustMeT, tracyringo and Res Ipsa like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!  This is a good group!

Res Ipsa, JustMeT and bellamoma like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to TTF. This is my support group, too, since I don't have a local option at the moment. I hope you find it as useful and supportive as I have :) 

JustMeT and Res Ipsa like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome. I'm in a similar situation only more like 4 hours from where I had my surgery. This group is truly a godsend. Not really much you can do about the liquid diet other than white knuckle it through the first few days. It really does get easier after about day 3 and is truly worth it in the end.

JustMeT, Res Ipsa, Jen581791 and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome JustMeT!

My support group was/is a 100+ mile round trip and as I worked and the meetings were held in the afternoon, I did not attend them.

Daily visits to this forum have given me all the support I needed and I've been a member for just over 10 years.

 

JustMeT and Res Ipsa like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for the welcome and encouragement! I am still hanging in there with the preop liquid diet. The one I am on is pretty strict compared to others I have seen. Basically 3 Premiere protein shakes a day and 64 oz of clear liquids or sugar free jello. I have had a continuous headache (which I know is detoxing) and NO energy!! I will be happy when these starting days are over! But I am super excited about my upcoming surgery which is July 17(which is also my 43rd wedding anniversary) Thanks again for your support!! 

Cadoodle, Jen581791 and Res Ipsa like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an anniversary present! ;) Best of luck on the liquids. That's no fun.

JustMeT likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

July 17th will be here soon. I will either have my surgery on July 10th or July 17th, so I am on day 3 of the liquid diet.  I also have 3 protein drinks and 3 snacks of things like V8 juice, yogurt, or bone broth (yuck). I still need to buy some jello and broth. Do you have to stop drinking regular coffee? That part is a huge disappointment for me.

Welcome to the group. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Cadoddle said:

July 17th will be here soon. I will either have my surgery on July 10th or July 17th, so I am on day 3 of the liquid diet.  I also have 3 protein drinks and 3 snacks of things like V8 juice, yogurt, or bone broth (yuck). I still need to buy some jello and broth. Do you have to stop drinking regular coffee? That part is a huge disappointment for me.

Welcome to the group. 

We are on about the same step in this journey! I am not a coffee drinker so that hasn't been a problem for me. I can have Unjury broth but I have to order it online , maybe you could have that too?

Cadoodle likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! ugh the liquid phase sucks, pure and simple. excuse my french but i'm right, right? it's so hard.  after a few days you'll feel better. some say the first 3 days are the worst, some say the first week. It will get less terrible with time.  Sometimes you have to take it a minute at a time! Try distracting yourself by reading, going for a walk, perusing thinner times, watching youtube videos about weight loss surgery (there are several people whose channels have documented their experience with WLS). 

My support group is an hour away on a good day- this is my only support group and it's a great one. Hope you stick around and ask any questions you have! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!  Since my weight loss surgery this forum has been my only support group. It is here 24 hours a day (folks from all over the world make that possible) and 365 days a year. I have been supported, informed, amused and (most importantly for me) inspired by the many people that I have met here. 

We are happy to be your support group!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, bellamoma said:

Welcome! ugh the liquid phase sucks, pure and simple. excuse my french but i'm right, right? it's so hard.  after a few days you'll feel better. some say the first 3 days are the worst, some say the first week. It will get less terrible with time.  Sometimes you have to take it a minute at a time! Try distracting yourself by reading, going for a walk, perusing thinner times, watching youtube videos about weight loss surgery (there are several people whose channels have documented their experience with WLS). 

My support group is an hour away on a good day- this is my only support group and it's a great one. Hope you stick around and ask any questions you have! 

You are right!. Thanks for the distraction suggestions. I will try them out. Seeing the scale go down is helpful and motivating too! I will make it!!! 

bellamoma likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Michael_A said:

I'm in the same boat, there's no support group in my area, so this forum will be it (and has been already) after my surgery.

You should update a few of your stats in your profile :-)  Are you sleeve, or bypass?

Welcome!

I am bypass. 

Michael_A likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JustMeT said:

Thanks everyone for the welcome and encouragement! I am still hanging in there with the preop liquid diet. The one I am on is pretty strict compared to others I have seen. Basically 3 Premiere protein shakes a day and 64 oz of clear liquids or sugar free jello. I have had a continuous headache (which I know is detoxing) and NO energy!! I will be happy when these starting days are over! But I am super excited about my upcoming surgery which is July 17(which is also my 43rd wedding anniversary) Thanks again for your support!! 

You'll be in ketosis soon, living just on protein, and the headache will disappear soon enough. And you will be many pounds down. You'll be okay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome, @JustMeT!! How is the liquid diet going? By now you should be going into your 2nd week! If you want to feel better - I had to do a THREE week liquid diet. 4 Shakes, broth, SF jello, SF popsicles, and decaf tea\coffee, and water. That is it. It was super hard at first, but now I have only 5 more days until my surgery (7/11). Keep us posted on how you are doing. We are all here to help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JustMeT Hang in there. The pre-op *IS* pretty horrible - no way around it, but it is actually good practice for post-op eating. My doctor had told me that when I started the diet and it did not make that icky pre-op any easier when I was on it, but now that I am post-op I do see the benefits of it. 

I wish I had tips and tricks to make it tastier, but I don't. I will offer you support though - you can do it!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now