Tguebara84

Virginia Medicaid with Anthem Health Keepers Plus approval questions

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone I'm new to the board. I'm in the process of working on my requirements for weightloss surgery using Virginia Medicaid Anthem Health Keepers Plus. I've already met with the surgeon and he said I'm a perfect candidate for the surgery, I have only 1 more appointment with my PCP in August, I've met with pulmonary to conduct a sleep apnea test which should be in the next couple of weeks, and i have my physc evaluation next month. Has anyone been approved with ANTHEM health keepers plus and Virginia Medicaid? if so how long did the approval prices take? Or what was your outcome? Thank you so much. 

Edited by Tguebara84

Welcome to Thinner Times!

I had my WLS through Tricare at a military treatment facility so I didn't have to wait for approval.  However, I did have to go through the nutritional and behavioural classes which took close to 5 months.

I don't have any answers. Just wanted to welcome you!

I also have no answers to your questions, sorry, but wanted to warmly welcome you to TTF. :)

Also, given the high risk of Medicaid cuts passing in Washington DC in the next few weeks/months, I strongly encourage you to do everything that you can do to make your pre-operation process be as quick as possible.  Can you see your PCP sooner than August?  Can you rescedule your psych exam sooner?

We are here to support you. 

cinwa likes this

I second Res Ipsa. Sooner or later, the current government will manage to pull back the medicaid expansions, and to avoid any trouble, I would try to push it all through asap. 

Otherwise, that's a pretty specific insurance, so it may be hard to find someone in the same boat. A quick glance around the internet shows a couple people saying they were approved fairly quickly, but the posts are more than a couple years old, so it's hard to peg down how relevant the information is, with as quickly as things change with Medicaid. There is a thread from 2014 HERE about it - one commenter states she had to do 6 months of supervised dieting.

It never hurts to call them and ask the typical wait times for approval after your ducks are in a row!