TammyP

Soft Foods! *happy dance*

Follow up with my surgeon today went well.  I have no physical restrictions and can eat soft foods.  Such joy to hear this LOL.  I came home and immediately had a hard boiled egg (yummy).  I have lost 19 pounds since my last doctors visit in May.  I am heading to the store soon with this short list:

Butter buds (I keep hearing they are good for flavoring veggies etc), bananas, deli turkey sliced thin, wheat crackers, canned fruits (no grapes or cherries), carrots (to steam), smoked salmon and lowfat cheese and lowfat cream cheese.  Any other insight on good "soft foods" that you particularily enjoyed?

1 hour ago, TammyP said:

Follow up with my surgeon today went well.  I have no physical restrictions and can eat soft foods.  Such joy to hear this LOL.  I came home and immediately had a hard boiled egg (yummy).  I have lost 19 pounds since my last doctors visit in May.  I am heading to the store soon with this short list:

Butter buds (I keep hearing they are good for flavoring veggies etc), bananas, deli turkey sliced thin, wheat crackers, canned fruits (no grapes or cherries), carrots (to steam), smoked salmon and lowfat cheese and lowfat cream cheese.  Any other insight on good "soft foods" that you particularily enjoyed?

I like savory foods like meat a lot. So, I have been buying low calorie chicken sausages that can be cooked in hot water (or better yet, hot chicken broth which can be sipped later) to retain their moisture and not dry up. They end up being soft foods, and there are so many types (from Italian to Andouille to chorizo to ... you name it) that they have kept my interest. I tend to buy them in bulk at Costco for the savings where they have a brand (Amylu) that I like. 

Congratulations! Moving on to soft foods really made this whole thing easier for me. Hallelujah! I bought ricotta cheese but have yet to actually make the highly recommended ricotta bake https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1793517

I've been having good luck with crustless quiches, pureed turkey chili, pureed split pea & ham soup, smooth refried beans, thinly sliced deli turkey, scallops, and string cheese.

I'm sure you already know to go easy on the crackers and fruits so your weight loss doesn't stall.

Congrats on moving on!

Edited by Gretta

33 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Congratulations! Moving on to soft foods really made this whole thing easier for me. Hallelujah! I bought ricotta cheese but have yet to actually make the highly recommended ricotta bake https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1793517

I've been having good luck with crustless quiches, pureed turkey chili, pureed split pea & ham soup, smooth refried beans, thinly sliced deli turkey, scallops, and string cheese.

I'm sure you already know to go easy on the crackers and fruits so your weight loss doesn't stall.

Congrats on moving on!

I did write down the Ricotta Bake recipe when I saw it in an earlier thread.  Looks amazing!  It looks so much like lasagna I'm almost afraid to make it. :)  Thanks for the input Gretta & Burgundy!

15 minutes ago, TammyP said:

I did write down the Ricotta Bake recipe when I saw it in an earlier thread.  Looks amazing!  It looks so much like lasagna I'm almost afraid to make it. :)  Thanks for the input Gretta & Burgundy!

Your post inspired me. Mine's in the oven right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

It's very yummy, but a little goes a looong way. I probably ate a quarter of one serving. I added garlic and swapped the mozzarella out for sharp cheddar. Melted mozzarella just doesn't have much flavor for me. Worth a try for sure. It will last you a long time.

1 hour ago, Gretta said:

It's very yummy, but a little goes a looong way. I probably ate a quarter of one serving. I added garlic and swapped the mozzarella out for sharp cheddar. Melted mozzarella just doesn't have much flavor for me. Worth a try for sure. It will last you a long time.

I am drooling!  I will try it soon hehe.

Since you are from Texas, how about trying chili con carne or another spicy well cooked meat dish?  I found that I had no problems eating spicy food as soon as I reached the soft food stage. 

5 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Since you are from Texas, how about trying chili con carne or another spicy well cooked meat dish?  I found that I had no problems eating spicy food as soon as I reached the soft food stage. 

That is great to know because I loveee spicy food!