kellyv93

Halfway to my goal!

5 posts in this topic

I'm down 61 pounds.  60 was the halfway mark to my goal.  Surgery was 4 months ago.  The weight loss is slowing down a lot, but still going.  I'm afraid that the next 4 months is going to be harder and more frustrating.  But for now, I'm celebrating half goal!

Zyia and athenarose like this

That is outstanding Kelly!

1 hour ago, kellyv93 said:

I'm down 61 pounds.  60 was the halfway mark to my goal.  Surgery was 4 months ago.  The weight loss is slowing down a lot, but still going.  I'm afraid that the next 4 months is going to be harder and more frustrating.  But for now, I'm celebrating half goal!

This is really apropos of your posting mentioning that the next stage of weight loss is a bit more difficult ... from @Jabsie: who just posted this in a different thread: 

Ah natures little trick....the more you lose, the harder it is to lose more. Really though, the smaller numbers are somewhat of an illusion. My nutritionist encouraged me to try taking the emotion out of it and look at it analytically when, early out, I expressed similar frustrations. Here's how she suggested I do so:

• Think percentages, not pounds: You could be losing the exact same percentage of excess weight every month even if you're losing less. Divide the amount you lost by your total excess body weight at the start of the month and you get a percentage (covert decimal to percentage). For example: If you had 100 lbs of excess weight to lose and drop 20 lbs, you've lost 20%. If you have 50 lbs to lose and drop 10 lbs, you've also lost 20%. This really helped me because there were times that I was initially discouraged when the total pounds I lost was less than the month before but when I did the math, my percentages were actually higher.
  • Don't just weight, also measure: Shortly before my procedure, I started taking body measurements. This added metric out to be very valuable because there were weeks that I lost inches but not pounds. I too became religious about exercise after surgery so I think this may have had something to do with it. However, I know for me that weight loss is 90+% about the food and 10-% about exercise. I exercise not for weight loss but for the overwhelming health benefits, and how it makes my body look and feel.
  • Weight is only one measurement of health: Metabolic health is measured by many things. Don't let the weight on the scale be your only motivational driver. Try and look at the other numbers that are improving as you transform your body. Blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, muscle mass, increased mobility, physical stamina, etc... Those numbers are important too.

I understand and hear your frustrations. After waiting so many years to be our ideal size, we're tired of waiting. We want results....and fast. But before you know it, this time will seem like a distant memory as you stand in your new, fit, and healthy body. Hang in there, you're doing GREAT!

(Again, this is from a @Jabsie posting)

Carina, Jabsie and athenarose like this

Great news!  Just keep doing what you are doing and watch the excess weight fall off. Happy times as a thin, healthy and more active person are just ahead of you! :)

Congrats on your loss so far! Even if the weight loss slows, it'll keep coming off if you keep doing what you're doing,