CurvyMermaid

It's the final countdown!

22 posts in this topic

(**hum the song in your head**)

I finished at the surgeon's office for the final pre-op appt. When the PA weighed me, I actually started laughing. The final count? 27 lbs down. What. The. Heck? I mean, I was diligent about my 600-800 calories and was on the water doing field work for the last 3 weeks, so it shouldn't be surprising but I found it almost absurd. That liver must be minisucle!! Sharks store oils in their livers (they use them to float much like swim bladders in fish), so I must be part shark! CurvyShark, comin' for those fat cells!

I am in the waiting room for the pre-admission bloodwork. Next stop, surgery day! And then its Shark Week at the Jersey Shore!

Congratulations - 27lb lost pre-op is an outstanding start.

2 more days and you'll be on the losers bench.

CurvyMermaid likes this

Well done! Wishing you all the best on surgery day!

CurvyMermaid likes this

@CurvyMermaid, "CurvyShark" does not have the same connotation or joie de vivre that mermaids evoke. I hope your fat cells are suitably frightened at their imminent demise. 

Best wishes, your boat is about to set sail

CurvyMermaid likes this

You know that absurd feeling from ^^above^^^? Unless I gained 12 pounds walking from my surgeon's office to the pre-admission testing area, I think my surgeon's scale is off and I lost only 15 lbs. Le sigh. But hey! 15lbs is okay by me!

10 minutes ago, CurvyMermaid said:

You know that absurd feeling from ^^above^^^? Unless I gained 12 pounds walking from my surgeon's office to the pre-admission testing area, I think my surgeon's scale is off and I lost only 15 lbs. Le sigh. But hey! 15lbs is okay by me!

Oh, that's funny... surgeon's scale or the pre-op scale being off. I use an old doctor's scale that is a beam-balance type. It may be off a few pounds at the top of the scale but it sure is consistent. 

Do have to suggest you have the directionality that you impute is 180 degrees off. I think you have been visited by the Weight Loss Devils. No doubt they threw a couple of extra weights on the scale just to mess with you. Somewhere here on the Forum there was a posting about a ritual to get rid of them... it's very similar to those ritual ceremonies practiced to get rid of stalls, or to evoke bowel movements when the fiber is weak ... where did I file that...

CurvyMermaid likes this

Lol @BurgundyBoy! Thise Weight Loss Devils are swimming with the fishes.  

And which is the right weight - if either?? Step 1: buy my own scale and track it myself. Step 2: trust my scale over surgeon's, GP's, hospital's, gym's, yadda yadda yadda. Step 3: laugh as the numbers get smaller and smaller on all of them!

Jen581791 likes this

1 hour ago, CurvyMermaid said:

Lol @BurgundyBoy! Thise Weight Loss Devils are swimming with the fishes.  

And which is the right weight - if either?? Step 1: buy my own scale and track it myself. Step 2: trust my scale over surgeon's, GP's, hospital's, gym's, yadda yadda yadda. Step 3: laugh as the numbers get smaller and smaller on all of them!

Ah, you have asked a key question: is there only an absolute truth or a relative truth to weight? This has been asked in far less important matters than WLS, like moral philosophy and the fate of all people... 

I take my home scale to be Truth, and my doc's scale to be Relative Truth. My doc only believes her scale, of course, but this shows up how Your Truth could be my Relative Truth. Here on the Forum I have learned of another way from the Masters with remarkable equanimity. 

@cinwa and @ThinCVT (if I recall correctly) amongst others just weighed themselves once a month at their docs. @Grettamay be doing the same infrequent weighing thing (correct me if I am wrong).  I lack their composure. They clearly have voted for Step 2, but in such a way that they show that they can separate themselves from the daily anxiety of the weigh-in with great presence of mind. They laugh at the Weight Loss Devils, who can only thrive when different scales are being used. 

So I think your option 3, laughing as the numbers get smaller on all of them, is the right choice. B)

Wow, great job (15 or 27, both are good)! It's coming so soon now :) 

My official scale is my own. It's fairly similar to my doctor's, but the important thing is that it's fairly consistent, so I know my changes relative to myself. Who cares what the doctor's scale says if you weigh yourself on your own scale all the time?

Do do doo do, do do do do doo, do do doo do, do do do do do do dooooo... it's the final countdooooooooown.

BurgundyBoy and CurvyMermaid like this

Good luck @CurvyMermaid. You'll likely need less of it than many of the rest of us given all your strong work before surgery. And I pity those weight loss devils. 

CurvyMermaid likes this

Great point @Jen581791 - as I have said before, I'm a data nerd so my curiosity will push me to having my own scale and using it as My Truth. On a P.S. note, I salute you for figuring out how to type up the melody from the Final Countdown!

Thanks @BurgundyBoy

Jen581791 likes this

13 minutes ago, CurvyMermaid said:

Great point @Jen581791 - as I have said before, I'm a data nerd so my curiosity will push me to having my own scale and using it as My Truth. On a P.S. note, I salute you for figuring out how to type up the melody from the Final Countdown!

Thanks @BurgundyBoy

Honestly, the data rich environment of my life post-op has been its own reward. My spreadsheet has like 10 columns of data with corresponding graphs. It brings me joy.

Trish13 and CurvyMermaid like this

4 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@Grettamay be doing the same infrequent weighing thing (correct me if I am wrong).  I lack their composure. They clearly have voted for Step 2, but in such a way that they show that they can separate themselves from the daily anxiety of the weigh-in with great presence of mind. 

Once a week for me :). As soon as I don't lose at a weekly weigh-in, I'm lengthening the time between.

10 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Honestly, the data rich environment of my life post-op has been its own reward. My spreadsheet has like 10 columns of data with corresponding graphs. It brings me joy.

Besides weight, do you also have measurements in your spreadsheets?

So excited for you @CurvyMermaid! You've done great getting ready no matter which scale you use! Good luck!!

Jen581791 and CurvyMermaid like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, CurvyMermaid said:

Besides weight, do you also have measurements in your spreadsheets?

You know, I don't. I just couldn't face measuring myself before the pre-op diet, and then I was like well, I've lost 20 pounds, so it's too late, and then after surgery I couldn't be bothered for some reason... Similar to why I don't have any "before" photos from my highest weight. I wish I had done it.

I have: 

Date, weight, daily loss (if any), total loss, loss since surgery, remaining excess (until goal), % of excess lost, % excess remaining, weekly loss, weekly loss as % of total excess, monthly loss, monthly loss as % of total excess. 

I've got a line graph for daily losses, and bar charts for weekly and monthly losses plus weekly and monthly in % of excess remaining. 

I just did the weekly and monthly as % of total excess, as suggested by @Jabsie, and it was enlightening! I lost a larger % of my excess last month and last week than any other month or week so far! Data, I tell ya. Thanks, Jabsie.

Edited by Jen581791
Jabsie, delilas and CurvyMermaid like this

1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

Date, weight, daily loss (if any), total loss, loss since surgery, remaining excess (until goal), % of excess lost, % excess remaining, weekly loss, weekly loss as % of total excess, monthly loss, monthly loss as % of total excess. 

I've got a line graph for daily losses, and bar charts for weekly and monthly losses plus weekly and monthly in % of excess remaining

MFW when thinking of having a spreadsheet like Jen's

On 6/27/2017 at 10:49 AM, Jen581791 said:

You know, I don't. I just couldn't face measuring myself before the pre-op diet, and then I was like well, I've lost 20 pounds, so it's too late, and then after surgery I couldn't be bothered for some reason... Similar to why I don't have any "before" photos from my highest weight. I wish I had done it.

I have: 

I've got a line graph for daily losses, and bar charts for weekly and monthly losses plus weekly and monthly in % of excess remaining. 

I just did the weekly and monthly as % of total excess, as suggested by @Jabsie, and it was enlightening! I lost a larger % of my excess last month and last week than any other month or week so far! Data, I tell ya. Thanks, Jabsie.

That sounds like my type of spreadsheet! I'm such a data nerd. Im' so glad you found the suggestion helpful, Jen.

Jen581791 likes this

Catching up.... how are you doing post op CurvyMermaid?

I'm doing great @CoTN!  I actually had my first post-op appointment today.  My surgeon normally sees his patients a week after surgery but the lucky man was on vacation so I opted to wait until he got back.  He is pleased with my progress and cleared me for kayaking, scuba, biking, elliptical -- finally more than walking!  And now that I have some compression garments, I'm not feeling the back pain or suture pulling that I did previously.  AND I decided to take a solo road trip up to Martha's Vineyard in two weeks - a place I have never been.  :D  I'm feeling very lucky that my surgery and recovery has gone so well.

Gretta, BurgundyBoy and tracyringo like this

27 minutes ago, CurvyMermaid said:

I'm doing great @CoTN!  I actually had my first post-op appointment today.  My surgeon normally sees his patients a week after surgery but the lucky man was on vacation so I opted to wait until he got back.  He is pleased with my progress and cleared me for kayaking, scuba, biking, elliptical -- finally more than walking!  And now that I have some compression garments, I'm not feeling the back pain or suture pulling that I did previously.  AND I decided to take a solo road trip up to Martha's Vineyard in two weeks - a place I have never been.  :D  I'm feeling very lucky that my surgery and recovery has gone so well.

Curvy, you will have a great time on the Vineyard. If any of us in the family discover an uncle or aunt who have left us a ton of money... buying a water view on the Vineyard. Good for you to be doing so well! 

CurvyMermaid likes this

Hooray great to hear you are doing well.  Also making plans to travel with new eating lifestyle is awesome.  I just got home from 2 wks and I took my blender shaker bottle and Syntax nectar with me - it was great to have my protein covered.  Safe travels and continued healing and losing!