TammyP

Vitamins - Blech...

I am currently taking Bariatric Advantage chewable Advanced Multi EA dietary supplement (strawberry flavored) twice daily.  I detest these things!!!  Does anyone have any other options that aren't as disgusting? :(

18 minutes ago, TammyP said:

I am currently taking Bariatric Advantage chewable Advanced Multi EA dietary supplement (strawberry flavored) twice daily.  I detest these things!!!  Does anyone have any other options that aren't as disgusting? :(

I don't believe that VSG patients particularly need to take bariatric specific multivitamins as you don't have to deal with any malabsorption.  

A lot of our VSG members use Centrum (or generic), but if you wish to continue with bariatric multi's, I can recommend Celebrate.  This is the link to the Celebrate Sample Pack.  The upside being is that it will end up being FREE, due to the coupon (that can be used on any subsequent order) you receive with your sample pack order. 

My multivitamin is the CVS Spectravite Multivitamin/Multi Mineral Supplement, Adult 50+ chewable.  It is cherry flavored and is reasonably good tasting.  You can buy it at CVS or on line at CVS.com, and is often on sale.  I take two per day (along with calcium citrate pills and vitamin D gel caps) and my blood levels and healthy post-surgery have been great.

Note that I do not take supplemental iron as my body is naturally high in iron.

2 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

My multivitamin is the CVS Spectravite Multivitamin/Multi Mineral Supplement, Adult 50+ chewable.  It is cherry flavored and is reasonably good tasting.  You can buy it at CVS or on line at CVS.com, and is often on sale.  I take two per day (along with calcium citrate pills and vitamin D gel caps) and my blood levels and healthy post-surgery have been great.

Note that I do not take supplemental iron as my body is naturally high in iron.

And sooo much cheaper than the bariatric vitamins I bought!  I may just buy the vitamin you are using and take it with to my doctor's appointment on Monday to ask if that is an acceptable alternative.  Thanks for the feedback!

On 6/24/2017 at 10:00 AM, cinwa said:

I don't believe that VSG patients particularly need to take bariatric specific multivitamins as you don't have to deal with any malabsorption.  

A lot of our VSG members use Centrum (or generic), but if you wish to continue with bariatric multi's, I can recommend Celebrate.  This is the link to the Celebrate Sample Pack.  The upside being is that it will end up being FREE, due to the coupon (that can be used on any subsequent order) you receive with your sample pack order. 

@TammyP I am also taking the bariatric advantage vitamins (I find them ok though) but note that (as usual) @cinwa is quite correct. VSG has not been shown, so far, to lead to specific deficiencies as has bypass (Roux en Y) has. In part I am taking these as a person with VSG like you just because my surgeon asked me to. So far nothing to make me think I am missing any nutrients (except fiber; except enough of olive or nut oils and fish oils; and of course distilled essence of BBQ ribs). 

Two things to note - B12 and iron:

- As you age, you are at increasing risk of not making intrinsic factor (IF). IF is needed to absorb vitamin B12 efficiently. So even people who have not had their innards mucked with can develop B12 deficiency. IF is made in the stomach, so when it is bypassed there is less there to bind B12. B12 deficiencies are no joke if you develop them (anemia, neuropathies, other bad things). Animal protein is the only protein that naturally has B12 in it, veg protein does not. Even if you take vitamins with B12 in them, you may not be able to absorb the B12 in the vitamins if you aren't making the IF to capture it. So having had a VSG, make sure your B12 levels get checked periodically. 

- There is also a very active debate around too much iron. There is suggestive data that finds that having too much iron is linked to cardiovascular risks and death from those risks. Obviously if too little iron is present then bad things happen (anemia, cognition go down the drain). Too much iron is linked to some infections and to cardiovascular risks. I had a friend back in the 80s, XXX who was Taiwanese royalty and a professor at Harvard, and he always said that periodic blood-letting and the stress of having to make new red cells (and eat the foods that supported it) were healthy. Maybe XXX was really right. Having said this - your body turns off iron absorption once the body stores are full. Just a note in case your iron stores are high that maybe you don't want extra iron. 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01EIQ7KVS/ (Or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EIQ7KVS/?th=1 if you don't use smile for a charity)

These are what I take. They are an all-in-one with calcium citrate, a year out and my vitamin count is excellent. I found that Very Berry tastes the best. 

I just take centrum multivitamins which are on my bariatric surgeons list. He does suggest the chewable bariatric ones immediately after surgery just because normal OTC multivitamins tablets tend to be huge. I also take Kirkland calcium citrate (mainly because it is the cheapest of the only two calcium citrate available here). I take D3 gelcaps because I was taking them prior to surgery as I was already D3 deficient. Within a week of surgery my family doctor was already shooting me up with B12 (they'll be every three months). He'd been concerned about  where I was going to get B12 before my surgery when I was using meal replacements, so he jumped at the chance to start pushing that. No iron supplement for me as I have haemochromatosis (aka iron overload), so no supplementing that unless my iron levels drop dramatically post surgery.