TammyP

Eating out post WLS

19 posts in this topic

I am beginning to realize more and more that my hubby and I's routine was heavily centered around food.  We both enjoy eating out, or being lazy and picking up takeout.  I know these will be no-no's, so I am trying to be proactive. :)  My question is, do you have a go-to restaurant with a dish that you can eat and not feel guilty about it afterwards?  And specials you love at restaurants that may be available to me in Texas?

Also, have any of you ordered fresh meals from HelloFresh?  We have a free box arriving on Monday.  Just curious if anyone used a healthy meal service, and how that experiece was for you.

annamay22 likes this

@TammyP

Although a lot of entrees at Red Lobster are way too caloric, I get shrimp on a stick there added to a plain salad. The salad and veggie sides are not bad and the shrimp gets me the protein needed. The grilled fish is also a great fit for our diets. Just have to avoid their biscuits and all the butter they bring! 

https://www.redlobster.com/nutrition-tools/interactive-menu

TammyP likes this

Wendy's Chili was an early favorite take out.  I don't eat out a lot, but when I do, it's cool to get at least 3 meals out of it.  Almost everywhere has either a grilled chicken or shrimp offering that is reasonably healthy.  Salads are another go-to; I get a Blackberry-Avocado salad with grilled chicken at my favorite local micro-brewery.  I eat the protein first, then whatever greens and goodies I have room for. 

I have not tried HelloFresh but have been thinking about it.  Let us know how that works out.

TammyP and Res Ipsa like this

I've used Hello Fresh a few times (I have not had my surgery yet). I'm a big cooker, and every now and then when I run out of recipe ideas, its nice to be able to have someone else do the thinking and shopping for me :) It's funny, last time we used them (last winter), I complained portion sizes were a bit small, but these days they would be perfect, and after WLS, Im sure one portion could easily be at least 2, possibly 3 portions. I save the recipe cards of anything we really like, so I can make it again.

That said, HF is not always the healthiest option - I feel they fit my current pre-WLS lifestyle just fine, but not all the meals would be suitable post-WLS and can be pretty carb rich.

TammyP likes this

3 hours ago, TammyP said:

I am beginning to realize more and more that my hubby and I's routine was heavily centered around food.  We both enjoy eating out, or being lazy and picking up takeout.  I know these will be no-no's, so I am trying to be proactive. :)  My question is, do you have a go-to restaurant with a dish that you can eat and not feel guilty about it afterwards?  And specials you love at restaurants that may be available to me in Texas?

Also, have any of you ordered fresh meals from HelloFresh?  We have a free box arriving on Monday.  Just curious if anyone used a healthy meal service, and how that experiece was for you.

Eating was a big part of my life pre-op and a big part of my relationship. We ate out probably 3 nights a week and at least one lunch on the weekend. I'm nearly 4 years post-op and my husband still misses how often we ate out. Now, we probably go once a week. I never feel guilty about it. For my area I have several places that I know the menu well enough I know what I'm going to order before I go. And, if I'm travelling or we want to try a new place, I will see if they have a menu online to scope out what I'm going to order. 

Last night I had dinner with a girlfriend. We split the hummus plate. I ate some hummus and some vegetable sticks. I stayed away from the pita. Not much protein in hummus so I also ordered the deviled eggs. It was delicious and worked with my eating plan. 

A major bonus for me is how much money I save on food and drink now. I estimate I spend about $7,000 less a year on food and booze that I did pre-op and that is just for me. Not counting what we save on him since, by default, he eats out less too. 

Res Ipsa, TammyP, Jen581791 and 2 others like this

I have not done Hello Fresh but I have done  : 

Plated 

Sun Basket

Green Chef

Blue Apron

Green Chef is probably the 'healthiest' version of them out there, I still have a lot of recipes from them, one of my favorite is a shrimp cocktail salad. It's delicious. Eating out isn't bad, just make sure you stay away from carbs, and be prepared to get a doggy bag. I also have learned to order water or else the waiter looks at me oddly. 

TammyP likes this

I always try to go places that have a good grilled chicken or seafood selection (that isn't breaded). I eat out more than I should, but if I get anything other than a salad, I'm always splitting it with my husband and likely taking some of it home. I also love a great salad and will eat those every meal of the day, especially in the summer. I'm a huge fan of the Green Goddess Cobb with Chicken salad at Panera (I'm a Panera freak) and a half of one is two meals for me. 

I'm still pre-op, but have been on a fairly restrictive diet for several months now. Like you ( @TammyP) I also realized that we ate out (at my prompting usually) more than is healthy. I also miss it, but not in a food funeral kind of way, just going to take some time for it to not be as much of a habit.

Anyways I have a standing weekly lunch date at a restaurant with two of my buddies, as well as have been out with the fam a few times. And I have learned something about myself that surprised me a little bit---  I am absolutely shameless about eating my food in a manner "not the way it was intended" lol. Several times now I've ordered burgers that were loaded with all the veggies and have no problem eating just the meat and veggies with a knife and fork and not touching the bread. About 20 of us family members went out for pizza and I didn't even care that everyone saw me scrape all the toppings off 3 pieces of supreme pizza onto my plate and leave the crust in a pile. I just told them the truth, I was on a low carb diet, and it was a big deal to everyone for like, oh wait. It wasn't. No one even cared. My daughter wanted to go out for her 13th birthday,  so we went to a place where I could get an omelette. 

My plan at this point based on my experience and those of others like @Stephtay, is to just try to have an idea ahead of time that the restaurant will have something that I can eat, whether it be appetizer, or entree, or whatever. Thinking back on the restaurants that I've been to over the last few years, I really can't think of a single place that I went to that didn't have something that would work for me, even post-op. 

We never ate out a lot as hubby travels a lot and by the time he gets home just wants home cooked foods.  

On Our vacations I used to plan which restaurants we would hit.  Now we eat in the room.  Hubby does the cooking (it IS my vacation and I cook for a living).

Excess oil and grease can and will make me ill.  I know many restaurants add oil or grease to flavor or moisten otherwise healthy food.  I always ask that no additional grease, oil or butter be added.  Occasionally something will come and it will be dry but I'm ok with that.  I often order fajitas (yes, they add oil to that-I had one time I forgot to ask that they not and I had to leave before I finished as I was ill).  Usually someone takes my tortillas.  Grilled chicken salad is good if you can find a low cal dressing (occasionally I bring my own from home).  Seafood is a good choice..  sometimes you can find a good appetizer but so many are fried.  

Theres a BBQ joint here that has a good baked chicken on the kids menu.  There's a bar and grill here in town that has a 4 oz steak on the kids menu that I order.  I like lettuce wraps (if you can find them).  I took a couple of my daughters to Potbelly and asked if they had lettuce wraps, they didn't have clue what I wanted.  Afterwards I hit the grocery store and grabbed some lunchmeat..I like Which Wich you can get what you want on a lettuce wrap.  

You learn to be resourceful when eating out.  When all else fails a grilled chicken sandwich minus the bun..

Tapas. Many Japanese restaurants where you can get sashimi (fish without the rice). Seafood.  Anyplace with raw oysters or shrimp or grilled fish. I can get little hamburger sliders, hold the buns. (This is, on reflection, just what @Zen_Steph was saying). 

Like @Michael_A says, just about anyplace where you can ditch the bun or scrape the goodies onto your plate. No one really cares what we are eating except the ghosts of our mothers from when we were children. Even my local beloved BBQ place, Blue Ribbon BBQ, sells individual ribs. 

Res Ipsa, TammyP, Jen581791 and 1 other like this

I am loving all these ideas!  Keep them coming and thanks all <3

Stephtay likes this

I also, like to pick up a rotisserie chicken as a quick go to meal.  

Michael_A and TammyP like this

I like Mongolian type grills, where you pick your proteins and veggies, I just am careful with the sauces and just get a mixture of garlic and ginger water.

Otherwise we I just have my SO's side soup or a few ounces of his meat.

1 hour ago, Cheesehead said:

I also, like to pick up a rotisserie chicken as a quick go to meal.  

This is my favorite go to pickup meal. It lasts for a few days, I end up making chicken salad with the left overs.......then put the bones in the Instapot and make bone broth for the dogs.  

I eat out once or twice a week and for the me the secret is to eat items off the appetizer or side dish portions of the menus (or go to a small plates or tapas restaurant).  I totally ignore the main dish and desert sections of the menu (except that a very plain piece of fish or chicken as a main dish is fine).

For example, if I go to a typical "red sauce" Italian restaurant, I will order two of the following: a cup of soup, a small salad, a high protein appetizer, or an order to meatballs.  I skip the bread and the desert (except to sneak a bite from my dear wife's desert :D).  If I am not driving, I will have a nice glass of wine (I am at my goal weight, so I am allowed a few more calories and I really like a glass of wine at dinner as long as someone else is driving afterwards).

In general, Mexican, French, steak, fast food and pizza places are the hardest for me to find a good meal at. 

If I am really careful the rest of the day, I can have an Indian, Chinese or Thai meal - these tend to be much higher in calories.

Michael_A, TammyP, Stephtay and 2 others like this

13 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

If I am really careful the rest of the day, I can have an Indian, Chinese or Thai meal - these tend to be much higher in calories.

I think it's all about planning. Spontaneous food decisions helped me eat myself to 300+ pounds. I don't trust myself to make a good decision in the moment so when I know I am going out - I plan ahead. If I know in the morning that later night I'm going to indulge at dinner and have booze and dessert I will offset those carbs and calories all day and into the next day. 

That was my kicker too @Stephtay - the unplanned day meant sometimes not even eating all day and then gorging when I got home. My poor body was like w.t.f. - are we in starvation or hibernation mode??

Jen581791, Stephtay and annamay22 like this

53 minutes ago, CurvyMermaid said:

That was my kicker too @Stephtay - the unplanned day meant sometimes not even eating all day and then gorging when I got home. My poor body was like w.t.f. - are we in starvation or hibernation mode??

Oh yes. I lived in that mode for at least a decade. 

On 23-6-2017 at 4:03 AM, Res Ipsa said:

I eat out once or twice a week and for the me the secret is to eat items off the appetizer or side dish portions of the menus (or go to a small plates or tapas restaurant).  I totally ignore the main dish and desert sections of the menu (except that a very plain piece of fish or chicken as a main dish is fine).

For example, if I go to a typical "red sauce" Italian restaurant, I will order two of the following: a cup of soup, a small salad, a high protein appetizer, or an order to meatballs.  I skip the bread and the desert (except to sneak a bite from my dear wife's desert :D).  If I am not driving, I will have a nice glass of wine (I am at my goal weight, so I am allowed a few more calories and I really like a glass of wine at dinner as long as someone else is driving afterwards).

In general, Mexican, French, steak, fast food and pizza places are the hardest for me to find a good meal at. 

Are you looking primarily at calories or food volume?

4 hours ago, Carina said:

Are you looking primarily at calories or food volume?

When deciding what to eat I look at both calories and food volume, as well as protein levels. 

cinwa likes this