KansasDelta

How did you choose?

You guys are fantastic! I'm loving all of this input and support. I can't wait to get the ball rolling on this! 

15 hours ago, Stephtay said:

Here is my two cents on NSAIDS. I took them all the time for years. Foot pain, elbow pain for my tendonitis and most days I had a low grade headache. I was happy to learn with a sleeve I'd still be able to take them but here is the interesting thing. I rarely take them anymore. Maybe 2x a year. My foot pain went away once I lost weight. I still have tendonitis - I had surgery for it right after my WLS but it still bothers me. I think (I could be wrong though) that since I'm not overusing my elbows in the ways I used to when I was fat that my tendonitis is better. And, I'm thrilled to report I rarely have a low grade headache. Maybe once every other month. For years pre-opt I wouldn't leave home without Advil. Now, I don't even know if we have any at home.  

After reading this yesterday, I realized something-- since I started my pre-op diet in Feb (lean meats and veggies, no dairy), I really have only needed ibuprofen a couple times. Which really surprised me because before that I was using some almost every day. I can only guess the combination of diet, normal blood sugars now, and some weight loss (less than 20 lbs still :()  has contributed to that. 

Anyways you've definitely put my mind a little more at ease, thanks for the great insight.

Dairy is a major part of what I eat. As to nsaids, some can, some can't, best to go over it with your own surgeon and PCP.

18 hours ago, Stephtay said:

Here is my two cents on NSAIDS. I took them all the time for years. Foot pain, elbow pain for my tendonitis and most days I had a low grade headache. I was happy to learn with a sleeve I'd still be able to take them but here is the interesting thing. I rarely take them anymore. 

I'm looking forward to not needing them for aches and pains, but surviving one of my periods without them? Never going to happen. 

Since my gastric bypass I have only needed pain killers on average about twice a year. When I do need a pain killer now I take liquid Tylenol (the CVS generic version). I used to need Advil all the time. This is a major change for the better! :)

By the way, many surgeons do not want sleeve patients to take NSAIDs after the surgery in order to avoid ulcers.