Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alchemist

Kitchen gadgets - sous vede

5 posts in this topic

So I'm still in puree stage and getting a bit bored of it at the moment. Cannot wait to get onto more normal choices 

A person I met at the doctors recconmended getting one of these vacuum pack machines - so you cook larger batches and vacuum pack the portions you need, she said it saves her a lot of hassle and she always has at least three or four different portions ready to heat up and use depending on what you fancy. She also said that doing chicken and fish sous vede (water bath) cooks nicer and not as dry and if you do a good slow cook in the waterbath chicken can come out very juicy and easy to chew and swallow. 

Was wondering if anyone else has tried this ? I'm a sucker for buying kitchen gadgets - the wife dispairs of me - but this actually made some sense. Well more sense than the spirialiser :rolleyes:

Check out this recent thread: 

Alchemist likes this

2 hours ago, Alchemist said:

So I'm still in puree stage and getting a bit bored of it at the moment. Cannot wait to get onto more normal choices 

A person I met at the doctors recconmended getting one of these vacuum pack machines - so you cook larger batches and vacuum pack the portions you need, she said it saves her a lot of hassle and she always has at least three or four different portions ready to heat up and use depending on what you fancy. She also said that doing chicken and fish sous vede (water bath) cooks nicer and not as dry and if you do a good slow cook in the waterbath chicken can come out very juicy and easy to chew and swallow. 

Was wondering if anyone else has tried this ? I'm a sucker for buying kitchen gadgets - the wife dispairs of me - but this actually made some sense. Well more sense than the spirialiser :rolleyes:

@Alchemist if you search sous-vide I just wrote a couple of posts in the "most expensive meal" thread that @Gretta points you to. I'll avoid repetition - my posts were lengthy, and some other posters even put in sous-vide videos and such - but in short I am a big fan of sous vide. I buy excellent cuts of meat / fish / duck / chicken, cut into ~ 3 ounce portions, add herbs and whatnot and vacuum them up for later sous vide, with a bit more shelf life because you removed all the oxygen when you vacuum sealed the food. Since I eat so much less now I can afford to buy nicer cuts.

Sous-vide will also pasteurize food so if you want, you can package the food up, cook it, and then (up to several weeks later) warm it up again in the sous-vide knowing the food was pasteurized and has a long preservation time. It does not cook "twice as much" if you heat the food up to the desired temperature twice, the doneness is determined by the temperature it gets to. The first cooking with pasteurization is like canning fruit or vegetables, you know they are safe to eat for a long time afterwards. 

For the last at least 30 years I have been off chicken breast because it is usually cooked so dry and lacks the flavor that dark meat chicken legs/thighs has. I buy and cook breasts for my wife. Well, sous-vide is a revelation because the breasts remain very moist - night and day difference. This past week I have re-heated two big breasts (cooked 2 weeks ago) on separate nights, sliced them and then added a bit of char to one side in a hot pan for us to eat. They were sensational. 

Alchemist, GAviv and Res Ipsa like this

Thanks - that's what I thought - will add to the wish list!

@Alchemist Just did a duck sous vide (quartered it) and then used my propane torch to finish the skin. Cooked the legs first, then lowered the temperature and did the breasts. Sensational.