MyLife1121

14 days post-op

12 posts in this topic

Hello Members,

Just wanted to say Hello and give an update on my JOURNEY, I'm down 22# from my surgery date on 5/31 also i'm at work as we speak but only for a few hours. Today I move on to Soft and pureed foods. I also want to thank Dr. Callery and his staff for taking good care of me and calling me to see how i am doing, you guys ROCK! 

ANY suggestions on soft food recipes? Thank you 

My daily activity is WALKING and more WALKING! :D

LeeC, tracyringo and NerdyLady like this

Congrats on the move to soft/pureed foods, and the weight loss! I had a sleeve too.

so 4 favorites to mention. I found I was able to eat a favorite soft protein, low-fat chicken sausages, when I cut them up into small pieces and cooked them in a cup of chicken broth. I buy the Amylu brand at Costco and am fond of the Andouille, 110 calories (I think 11 or 12 grams of protein). I eat the soft sausage bits and then can slurp up the broth they were cooked in. Very meaty if you have missed that and the liquid keeps everything soft. I also made a lot of ma po tofu ("home style" tofu) with small cubes and some diced soft vegetables like mushrooms and hot peppers. Lots of recipes on the internet are better than my description. Third favorite is chicken stock or miso to which I add a touch of vinegar or lemon juice and then beat an egg in, and make an egg-drop soup. I really like eggs but find hard-boiled eggs are still tough for me nearly 3 months out. Lastly, I have been making super-duper delicious fish stock with fish bones and heads. My local stores give them to me for free or for $1 a pound.  I then finely dice some fish into the stock and it only takes a minute to cook the fish bits in the boiling hot fish stock. Lots of protein and flavor. I use fish like haddock or cod rather than salmon or other more oily fishes since the stock lasts much longer, but if you are consuming right after making it, no reason to avoid salmon. 

(I really like the message in your avatar about not worrying about failures). 

LeeC and MyLife1121 like this

Ooh, I had surgery the same day as you and understood we started purees/soft foods tomorrow (They told me surgery is day 0, day after is day 1, liquid diet through day 14). I would be thrilled, I tell you, THRILLED if we started purees today! I've already made these homemade purees for myself: refried beans, Italian turkey chili, and split pea & ham soup.

I'm sure you already know on the new stage we can also have cottage cheese, yogurt, string cheese, thinly sliced deli meats, baby shrimp, flaky fish, soft-boiled eggs, and tofu.

Congrats on your weight loss! You're doing awesome!

tracyringo and MyLife1121 like this

It sounds like you're doing well so far - good for you! 

If you haven't stumbled upon Eggface's blog, it's a great place for recipes. Her ricotta bake is what made life worth living for a while there during the soft foods stage. Like lasagna, but no noodles, and so easy to make.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html

tracyringo, MyLife1121 and TammyP like this

One of the best things I found on my soft foods stage was a salmon mousse of sorts. I took smoked salmon and pureed with cream cheese. So good and full of protein.

MyLife1121 and tracyringo like this

Hello everyone

Thanks for all the recommendations. I've been eating Tilapia and veggies for dinner, Breakfast a Protein shake and lunch Jello and cottage cheese. 3 more weeks and the schedule changes lol. I'm definitely going to try one of your suggestions this weekend, once again thanks for the feed back! 

On 6/14/2017 at 10:26 AM, Gretta said:

Ooh, I had surgery the same day as you and understood we started purees/soft foods tomorrow (They told me surgery is day 0, day after is day 1, liquid diet through day 14). I would be thrilled, I tell you, THRILLED if we started purees today! I've already made these homemade purees for myself: refried beans, Italian turkey chili, and split pea & ham soup.

I'm sure you already know on the new stage we can also have cottage cheese, yogurt, string cheese, thinly sliced deli meats, baby shrimp, flaky fish, soft-boiled eggs, and tofu.

Congrats on your weight loss! You're doing awesome!

Hi Gretta,

Are we able to eat the Italian turkey sausage? 

On 6/14/2017 at 11:40 AM, Smashlee83 said:

One of the best things I found on my soft foods stage was a salmon mousse of sorts. I took smoked salmon and pureed with cream cheese. So good and full of protein.

Hi,

Quick question, do you blend the smoked salmon with the cream cheese? 

On 6/14/2017 at 10:36 AM, Jen581791 said:

It sounds like you're doing well so far - good for you! 

If you haven't stumbled upon Eggface's blog, it's a great place for recipes. Her ricotta bake is what made life worth living for a while there during the soft foods stage. Like lasagna, but no noodles, and so easy to make.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html

Hi Jen,

That sounds so good ricotta bake, thanks for the info!

Jen581791 and TammyP like this

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, MyLife1121 said:

Hi Gretta,

Are we able to eat the Italian turkey sausage? 

I use ground turkey, put it in the chili, and blend it beyond recognition. I was surprised Karen wanted us restricting proteins so much. She approved sliced deli turkey, and this isn't too different. It's going down fine, so I'm not worried about it. See you in a few weeks!

Edited by Gretta

3 minutes ago, Gretta said:

I use ground turkey, put it in the chili, and blend it beyond recognition. I was surprised Karen wanted us restricting proteins so much. She approved sliced deli turkey, and this isn't too different. It's going down fine, so I'm not worried about it. See you in a few weeks!

Thanks, I'm having that tonight so over Tilapia. Yes see you in a few weeks.

Gretta likes this

Hey @MyLife1121, I forgot to mention I've been having good luck with this crustless quiche:

3 eggs, beaten

1.5 cups lactose-free milk

1/4 teaspoon pepper

3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese

3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar

Salt to taste

I mix everything together, pour in a glass 8"x8" dish, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 or less (Check every 5 minutes after 30 minutes so it doesn't dry out).

You can go reduced fat on the cheeses if you like. It goes down really easily in small bites.