Jen581791

Changing bra sizes as the pounds drop

1 hour ago, Alioops said:

PS I am post-op sleeve for 5 weeks. I try coming here more often but simply cannot get the hang of finding my way around.

Congrats! I hope things are going well for you! :) 

I think my favorite way of finding my way around this site is to click Activity and then click Unread Content - that gives me everything recent that I haven't already read. It was a real time saver when I figured that out (there's so much legacy stuff on here to read, but hard to sift through it to find what's most recent). 

Thanks for the shopping tips. Sounds like that site has some good deals.

@Jen581791, this is a hug-worthy post. Don't know if you are a hugger or not, but I'm sending you a virtual one! I am SHOCKED at my size. Now, off to purchase some nice new undergarments! 

3 hours ago, Dragonfly111 said:

@Jen581791, this is a hug-worthy post. Don't know if you are a hugger or not, but I'm sending you a virtual one! I am SHOCKED at my size. Now, off to purchase some nice new undergarments! 

I'll take that hug! 

My size has changed incredibly over the last year, of course, and I just tried some bras on last weekend - still a crazy size, but a whole lot less crazy than a year ago. The calculator seemed to work pretty well. I took my measurements before I went to the store, and the sizes that fit best were right around what the calculator said. Unfortunately it's hard to find stuff in my new band size (30 or 32, what???), so I didn't buy. I'm going to have to order online.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:50 PM, NerdyLady said:

Today, I went to the serious business bra store to get fitted. This store caters to mastectomy patients and when I told the saleswomen that I had gastric bypass, i didn't need to explain any further. 

@NerdyLady - Can you tell me the name of this 'serious business' bra store?  I am hoping this is a chain.  I need to be measured by some no-nonsense people that know what they are doing....

6 hours ago, TammyP said:

@NerdyLady - Can you tell me the name of this 'serious business' bra store?  I am hoping this is a chain.  I need to be measured by some no-nonsense people that know what they are doing....

Tammy, have you looked at the Reddit ABraThatFits community sizing calculator? http://www.abrathatfits.org/brasizecalculator.php Here's the Beginner's Guide from the community, as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/beginners_guide. If you're not sure after measuring, you can submit a "fit check" to the community and the generous and experienced people there can help you. I found the calculator to be accurate (at various sizes), and the community maintains lists of places to buy (mostly online), as well as lists of brands and models that work for various shapes and sizes.

While there are definitely good bricks and mortar stores with experienced people to measure, this Reddit community is full of stories of people going into stores to get fitted and walking out with armloads of expensive stuff in the wrong size :(  If you measure yourself and read up a bit on how to make sure a bra is the correct size for you, then you'll at least be armed with that knowledge before going shopping and getting fitted. The guides and rules you see on the fitting room walls are usually complete hooey. <- I love this word. Why do I not use it more?

BTW, I am not affiliated with this Reddit community in any way - I just love the work they've done and the fact that they've made it all available to anyone who needs it, which is anyone with boobs! There are so many great stories of people whose lives are improved simply by getting a hold of some well fitting supportive undergarments! :) 

*edit* I just looked at the Reddit page, and the first post is about how bad Target's bra fit guide is. So I checked Nordstrom, which has a much better reputation, and even their guide says you should measure your bust with your "best fitting non-padded bra on" - which means you're measuring your BRA'S size, not your BOOBS' size! We all know you can squeeze yourself into ill-fitting bras - best not to use those to figure out what size you should be wearing.

Edited by Jen581791

Thank you @Jen581791 !  I will try this :D

On 6/9/2017 at 1:51 PM, Jen581791 said:

I've gone back to the calculator and, lo and behold, I've gone down 4 inches in band size, but the cup size letter stayed the same. WHAT??? This does not worry me because I have learned how cup sizes work: a 36D and a 34D are not the same size cup. A 36D has the same cup volume as a 34DD (these are not my sizes - I wish!). Go down a band size, go up a cup size to get the same volume. These are called sister sizes. The top row of the chart below illustrates. 

Wow, I did not know this! Thanks, Jen! This has been incredibly helpful! 

7 hours ago, Lynn74 said:

Wow, I did not know this! Thanks, Jen! This has been incredibly helpful! 

Not sure why bra math has to be like advanced calculus. I've read way too much about this, and it still makes no sense to me... :lol:

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:59 PM, Jen581791 said:

Not sure why bra math has to be like advanced calculus

Let the calculus begin!  Haha - I finally had some time to myself to measure the girls.  According to UK sizing, I am 36FF/G.  Soo....I will scroll up in this post as I need recommendations for good quality bras that I can order online with UK sizing....

Edited by TammyP
change of wording

2 hours ago, TammyP said:

Let the calculus begin!  Haha - I finally had some time to myself to measure the girls.  According to UK sizing, I am 36FF/G.  Soo....I will scroll up in this post as I need recommendations for good quality bras that I can order online with UK sizing....

The reddit ABraThatFits community keeps lists of brands that work with different sized and shaped boobs. They seem to have latched onto this calculus idea - it's a fairly robust database with lots of cross-referencing.

51 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

The reddit ABraThatFits community keeps lists of brands that work with different sized and shaped boobs. They seem to have latched onto this calculus idea - it's a fairly robust database with lots of cross-referencing.

TY Jen!  I went out on a limb and just ordered a bra from Brastop in the size I calculated from the reddit measurements.  Sale $29.00 + $7.00 Shipping.  If it's a dismal fail, I'm only out $36.

I'll let you know. :P

3 minutes ago, TammyP said:

TY Jen!  I went out on a limb and just ordered a bra from Brastop in the size I calculated from the reddit measurements.  Sale $29.00 + $7.00 Shipping.  If it's a dismal fail, I'm only out $36.

Can't wait to hear how it fits!

4 minutes ago, TammyP said:

Yes, please let us know! That sounds like a pretty good deal, btw :) 

On 11/24/2017 at 7:34 PM, TammyP said:

Hey Tammy! I think it’s a local chain. The store is called Lady Grace and is pretty great. Maybe Yelp will have a local suggestion for you? Many years ago, I went to a store called Intimacy. They have rebranded and I don’t recall the new name. They were also serious business but expensive AF. 

I see you live in Dallas. Did I know this? I lived in Dallas many years ago and loved every minute of my time in the Lone Star star state. 

On 11/25/2017 at 10:59 PM, Jen581791 said:

Not sure why bra math has to be like advanced calculus. I've read way too much about this, and it still makes no sense to me... :lol:

If men had breasts....

11 hours ago, TammyP said:

Please let us know how Brastop works out for you. I wonder if it’s time for me to revisit this shop. 

BTW, I’ve given up buying bras for a while. If I can get away with a sports bra, I do it. My breasts are getting smaller everyday and the expensive bras from the serious business store are now huge on me. I never expected my breasts to shrink up this quickly. It’s logical but sometimes Lynda and logic aren’t best friends. I think I’m going to wait until I’m a few months into maintenance before trying to get quality bras.

I am peeved that I can’t get away with one of those trendy and cute bralettes. My Sad Bags of Flesh™️ need some sort of support, otherwise they hang at my knees. 

The state of my boobs was not a huge deal until my daughter flew here last week after a 6 month internship in Nigeria.  She left the beginning of June, and my surgery was 6/14, so Mom looks much different now.  I really don't like shopping, so I went with daughter while she was here this week.  At one point I tried a shirt on and she was like "OMG Mom pull up your boobs!"  LOL!  This started me thinking that yep, it's time to bra shop.  I'm going to attach a couple of pics with my Michaela <3 

MichaelaMeLindy.jpg

Lindy.jpeg

MeMichaelaLindy.jpeg

Lindy1.jpeg

12 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

I see you live in Dallas. Did I know this?

@NerdyLady - I moved to Texas in 2006, and I love it here!  My only complaint is that our only granddaughter lives in Wisconsin :(

17 minutes ago, TammyP said:

The state of my boobs was not a huge deal until my daughter flew here last week after a 6 month internship in Nigeria.  She left the beginning of June, and my surgery was 6/14, so Mom looks much different now.  I really don't like shopping, so I went with daughter while she was here this week.  At one point I tried a shirt on and she was like "OMG Mom pull up your boobs!"  LOL!  This started me thinking that yep, it's time to bra shop.  I'm going to attach a couple of pics with my Michaela <3 

MichaelaMeLindy.jpg

Lindy.jpeg

MeMichaelaLindy.jpeg

Lindy1.jpeg

Both of you are lovely!

Your daughter is my kind of person. “Mom, pull up your boobs” is my new favorite phrase!

My husband and I both lived in the same apartment complex in Dallas ‘97-‘99. We didn’t meet until 2001 in Washington, DC. We have no common friends and randomly met on Match.com. Small world. 

You daughter was in Nigeria! Amazing! What kind of work does she do? 

Edited by NerdyLady

30 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

Both of you are lovely!

Your daughter is my kind of person. “Mom, pull up your boobs” is my new favorite phrase!

My husband and I both lived in the same apartment complex in Dallas ‘97-‘99. We didn’t meet until 2001 in Washington, DC. We have no common friends and randomly met on Match.com. Small world. 

You daughter was in Nigeria! Amazing! What kind of work does she do? 

Thank you NerdyLady <3  That is funny because I met my hubby in a Christian Chat room on Yahoo in 2003!  Could not get the man to move up north to me, so I moved to him. 

Michaela was doing an internship with an organization called Grace Gardens in Nigeria.  She was counseling/working with women and children who had been sexually exploited. 

http://servinginnigeria.com/grace-gardens/   Heavy stuff...